Studebaker troubles :(

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Lowrdrbird
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Studebaker troubles :(

Post by Lowrdrbird » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Well took out Phantom today and had her on her longest run yet. Put on over 100 miles on her today running her around 40 mph. Almost home and the speedo decided to act up then it was going NUTS!!!!!
I was going only 40 but it was bouncing between 30 and 70 mph THen it started screaming at me and was pinging out at the bottom of the speedo. The scream and clacking sound was loud enough to be heard over the rumble of the engine. ANY IDEAS?????? The trip and odometer still works and they were not flying by just the normal movement.

Also had an issue with the tranny it is leaking bad between the front of the tranny and the flywheel housing. I think its a seal but boy is it going to be a pain in the A$$ to fix.

Ken
Keeping the History Alive
If you are reading this Thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English Thank a Vet.
1942 Chevy G506 " Allie Kat"
1942 US6 Studebaker 21645 "Phantom"
1944 US6 Studebaker Tractor "Carmen"
1945 US6 Studebaker "Dakota"
1945 US6 Studebaker "Spirit"
1943 1 Ton Trailer
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR US6 Studebaker Parts

Mark in Tucson
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Studebaker troubles :(

Post by Mark in Tucson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Ken,
Sounds like she needs oiling & a little cleaning.
My jeep speedo was doing the same thing. Noise and bouncing.
Took it to a friend that owns a speedo shop and he cleaned and oiled the bearing at the cable.
Quiet and smooth now.

Mark

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 am

The speedo cable should be taken apart, the inner core may be coming apart, or starting to seize inside the outer housing. Grease it with thin grease is it's otherwise OK.

Lowrdrbird
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Lowrdrbird » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:26 pm

WHEPHW
SO I am in luck that I have not destroyed the speedo...
I will work on it next week and find out what happened.
Ken
If you are reading this Thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English Thank a Vet.
1943 1 Ton Trailer

Lowrdrbird
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Lowrdrbird » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:26 pm

UPDATE
went out and took the core out of the cable and really greased it up with some white lithium grease. ANd then put about 15 miles on her no problems with it yet.
Thanks for the help guys

Ken
1943 1 Ton Trailer

motto
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by motto » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:39 am

Ken, in regards to the oil leak from the flywheel housing area there are two possibilities as you are no doubt aware. Engine or gearbox. The smell of the oil may tell where it's from. If it's from the gearbox that would be a puzzle as there is no seal on the input shaft only a spiral groove and I think a shield on the bearing also a drain hole from forward of the the bearing back into the main housing. The set up is fool proof as there is nothing to wear out and it works well. I have seen leakage from this area however due to the eight screws securing the bearing retaining cap working loose. Another possibility would be overfilling of the transmission or incorrect oil.

If the oil is from the engine the most likely source would have to be the rear main seal which is quite large and runs on a lip protruding from the forward face of the flywheel.

David

Lowrdrbird
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Lowrdrbird » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:45 am

David
It is a very light color oil like what I am using in the gear box. It is dripping from the front of the transmission gear box.
The engine oil is darker.
So if I am over filling it it will leak out? How do I know if I am over filling it as you are supposed to fill it up to about 1 inch from the fill hole. and that is what I am doing.
If I am doing this correctly then the only other option would be for me to drop the gear box. Thats going to be fun since the cab is on her

Ken
1943 1 Ton Trailer

motto
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by motto » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:03 pm

If the oil level in the gearbox is below the filler then it is definitely not overfilled. I would think that the only way to overfill would be to add oil with the top cover off.

Unsuitable oil would be a possibility especially if prone to foaming or aeration.

Another possible leak path would be via the two lower mounting bolts which on the US6, if memory serves me correctly, are or should be studs with nuts. (Not to be confused with the Chippendales)

What can you see through the pressure plate adjustment access? You may be able to look at the front of the gearbox.

Regards gearbox removal with cab on, I never lift the gearbox from above, I always support it from below. This is done by passing a large plank through under the vehicle when the box is ready to come out. You may have to place a block on the plank for the box to sit on. Block up under the ends of the plank until you have the weight of the box supported then remove the remaining bolt which should be in the top of the adaptor or mounting plate. Shuffle the gearbox back at the same time as sliding the plank rearwards on the stack of blocks at each end. This method allows perfect control and can be a one man operation if needs be and there is no possibility of damage to the cab.

David

Shane Hodby
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Shane Hodby » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 am

Hi Ken
Mate if you are not over filling the gearbox check and make sure that the gearbox breather is clean best to pull it out and clean it with solvent and then blow it out with air and then check where it screws in to the box and make sure that the hole into the box is clean also as I have seen them blocked with dirt as if they are blocked the trans will build up pressure when it gets hot and it finds the easiest way out clean the inside of the bell housing and then give it a run and check it may as well check the bolts etc inside when you clean it out
Cheers
Shane
1945 Studebaker US6 88016 DOD 1-19-1945 ARN 89553 (Bullwinkle)
1942 MB 131508 DOD 3-30-1942 U.S.A. 2083320 confirmed (Olive Oyl)

sixbysix
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sixbysix » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Shane
can you tell me where the gearbox breather is?
Does it look at all like the axle vents?

Lowrdrbird
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Lowrdrbird » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Yes I would like to know this also
Ken
1943 1 Ton Trailer

sixbysix
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sixbysix » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:41 pm

Anyone know of an appropriate modern double lipped seal for the rear main seal? I have a couple of NOS ones but the leather( or old neoprene?) seems quite “hard” and am wondering if it’s going to work…?
What did you put in yours Ken?

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”