WARNING! THE CCKW CAN BITE

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

WARNING! THE CCKW CAN BITE

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:56 am

CCKW owners beware. The CCKW has a handy feature that is dangerous and can injure. It is that ratcheting Hood Support that holds the hood in the open position.
Setting the timing on the CCKW requires removing the hood side panel on the passenger side and leaning into the engine compartment while laying across the fender. The timing mark is accessed thru a hole in the bellhousing that is located between the starter and the block.This is not easy as it requires one to position their head just into the engine compartment.
If it is windy, the wind gusts can buffet the hood sufficiently to release the hood support rod. There is no warning and the hood can act as a guillotine. I have had this happen just once. It is best to time the CCKW when there is no wind or with a safety prop in position if the truck cannot be taken inside.
I was lucky as my neck was below the lower edge of the hood when it came to rest. Just imagine what could happen if the side panel were in place. :shock:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: WARNING! THE CCKW CAN BITE

Post by softskin_driver » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:46 pm

The Dodge M37 is the same way if you do not put the saftey lock in the catch and and then lean it all the way up against the windshield. This happens alot when someone wants to open the hood all the way past the props to get lots of light in the engine bay.
One good wind gust and boom widow maker.
I have had one slam down while I went to get a tool after seeing that I always used the catch and a piece of wire. I have not seen that happen on a M38A1 but suppose its the same.
I have been pinched (blood blisters) by my Dodge WC-52 a couple of times before learning not to put my hands anywhere near the hood top and side panel hinge area when pulling the side panels down and out to get them lined up with the stop. That can really smart. Ever wonder why when you do something dumb and it hurts they say it smarts. :)
Took a look at Your CCKW Ben thats a realy nice truck very clean and squared away. Great job!!! Hope I can get My International M-5H-6 looking that ship shape. This summer will be a big push.
Hopefully I will have it in the Vets day parade. Anyway thats the goal November 11th 2010 ru8nning and stopping with the original bed.

:D :D :D
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:22 am

Thank you David.
Most M-Series Vehicles except for the M-38 had a cattch of some sort to secure the hood in open position. In the 60's a stencil was usually made up and a reminder was stenciled under the hood. The M-37 bit more mechanics than most of the others
WARNING
USE SAFETY CATCH TO SECURE HOOD IN OPEN POSITION
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Just a reminder.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”