A 969 rebuild from Downunder.

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: A 969 rebuild from Downunder.

Post by kw573 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:00 am

Greetings, expectant ones,

Here is the link to the third video of BTTT2021.

https://www.facebook.com/10000217549943 ... 059247912/

Enjoy!.

Sam.
1942 Script GPW (Daily driver).
MB-T trailer.
Diamond T 969. ('The Glorifier')
Diamond T 969, rusty, complete, for sale.
Kenworth M1A1 Heavy Wrecker x 2.
M2A1 white HT. ('Clarrie')
Light Recovery Trailer (Ford?).
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.
150gal water tanker trailer.
Air compressor trailer, 100c.f.m.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:41 pm

Good morning,

After a busy several months of distractions, I have managed to get the forth video from BTTT2021 posted and linked here.

Or in order in the one post.

1) https://www.facebook.com/10008215125757 ... 9587821195

2) https://www.facebook.com/10008215125757 ... 1387222442

3) https://www.facebook.com/10008215125757 ... 4587958058

4) https://www.facebook.com/10008215125757 ... 8395146525

I think I got that right!

My favourite scene is crossing the patch of bulldust!

Enjoy!

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by mudflap » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:37 pm

Hi Sam,

Unlike the link in the previous post (11/28/2021) none of these will open for me.

They all require some type of FB log in access. :(

Best Regards...

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:20 pm

Oh dear,

OK, I'm not good at twitface.
I've changed some settings.

Try again and let me know.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

mudflap

Post by mudflap » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:51 pm

Hi Sam,

Can access all of them, now. Thx ! :)

Love the wide variety of vehicles. Plus, the terrain has a rugged beauty all its own. Could watch theses over and over without ever getting tired.

BTW, always wondered, is it difficult getting used to driving a left hand drive vehicle on the left side of the road?

Best Regards,

Bob

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:37 am

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply, glad you (and others I expect) are enjoying the videos.

Yes, I guess every country has its' own beauty. The open sparse Australian inland certainly has an unexpected beauty that is well worth the effort to experience. To quote the Australian poet 'Banjo' Paterson, " . . by day the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, and at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars!"

Regarding the LHD vehicle on RHD roads, I am still in a system I'm used to. eg., when turning right, I still turn into the far lane. The problem is visability when turning left, i.e. being able to see the approaching traffic on the right when the truck is already starting the turn to the left at the stop and therefore not being able to see around the right hand edge of the cabin tarp. I have trained myself to not start the turn until I have confirmed a clear road. I mostly remember to do that. Helps to have a passenger!
The problem of turning out of a lane to the right (a right turn or a lane change) was amply solved with 4 rear vision mirrors, particularly the wide angle mirror.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:24 am

Hello Sam,

Wow !!!!
What a set of great Diamond T adventures, very nice video work as well !

I really enjoyed seeing the Glorifier handling the trails, river crossings, and that Bull Dust, that was pretty intense looking :D :D :D
You have such a great wild wilderness area in Australia, plenty of room to explore .

Your truck restoration work is a great inspiration to us all, and I hope I can do a similar trip here someday with my 1941 CCKW project.
I bet you are glad you went when you did before fuel costs have gotten so ugly !

I liked the "Welcome to the Northern Territory" spot, where the pavement ends, and the roads become dirt :D :D

Thanks so much for sharing these great videos, and keep us posted on future trips .

Best Regards,
Ray

Florida , USA

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:24 pm

Hi all,

Life has been distracting for a while.

The Glorifier still does an occasional run, even did some good 6WD-ing. The winches also are used sometimes.

It has developed a fuel tank leak and the gauge has stopped working. So that is a job in the next few months.

Due to shaking when braking, I had the two front brake drums machined. Well, one was machined. The other had hard spots which required it to be ground to shape instead. One drum was about 0.040" (1mm) out of round, the other was a significant 0.065"(1.6mm) out of round!
I asked about the hard spots. They are caused by the hot drum(disc/caliper/etc) being abruptly quenched by water. As in crossing a creek. Also causes warped discs, etc. The shake continues, but is not as bad.

A little while ago, I managed to bog the Kenworth in my yard, in the wet fill of a new retaining wall.
After a few attempts, it became clear that a winch and pulleys were needed. It took a bit to set up, but the truck slid straight out on the wet clay ground. As usual, the pictures don't show the degree of stuck that the truck was.

This is always followed with the slow job of cleaning and re-laying the winch cable.

Have a nice day.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:19 pm

More pictures:

The ground near the fence is fill and we have received some rain so it was softer than I thought. Add to that is the KW573 is a poor off-road vehicle despite it being 6WD.
It slid sideways off the harder ground into the soft stuff. Initial attempts to drive it out resulted in only sideways movement, progressively closer to the fence.

A better view of the cables and pulleys. The three-part rigging meant that the Glorifier hardly worked at all. Love them pulleys!

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:55 am

This picture shows me ready to head home after our New Years Weekend event "West of Wongi". The event is a convenient 50kms from home, so I can afford repeat trips to take/return extra toys.

The tanker is late WW2 or early post WW2 Australian Army and holds 2500lt/550 imp. gals of water. It has a gang of taps across the rear as per period pictures.

Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:45 pm

Hello Sam,

Great rigging right there, and recovery of your other bigger beautiful truck !!

Thanks for sharing, I am sure it takes a lot of skill to rig the pulleys and cables to make a good pull !

It is nice to see the equipment being used as it was intended, and now your fill soil will be compacted :D :D .

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:46 pm

Happy New Year 2023 Sam !!

That is also a great picture, with a very useful water buffalo trailer !

Best Regards,
Ray

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:09 am

Greetings,

Life has got in the way and I have been elsewhere.
However I had the opportunity to do some repairs recently.

I had used the best of the rear axle torque rods that I had when rebuilding The Glorifier, and they seemed OK. But after 15000kms, some of them were well worn. The picture below shows the worst one. I think it had once been canvas packed but that has rotted and so didn't last long at all.

I had purchased a NOS International AACO 6x6 (as used by the Australian army in the 1960-70s) torque rod to check if the rod ends were the same as the 969. Other than being a vulcanized rubber bush instead of a ball type joint, it was the same. This included the size/length/taper of the pin and even the thread is the same (1"UNS [14tpi], which is a variation of 1"UNF[12tpi]). The rod itself is about 2 1/2" shorter.

Removing the rod from the Glorifier required a bit of judicious hammer use, first on the outer of the taper housing at the rear end, after loosening the nut. The hammer blows cause the housing to distort slightly allowing the tapered pin to let go.

The front joint I could not do that because the housing was too large. So a larger soft-face hammer did the trick.

Requiring around 10 tons pressure and some suitable sized steel pipes, it was not difficult to press out the worn ball joint.

So here is the rod, cleaned and lubed (anti-seize), and the AACO rubberized joint also cleaned and ready for assembly.

Enjoy.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:17 am

Hi,

So I pressed the joint into the rod, being careful to put it the correct way around!

Looking good.

The face of the nut was damaged by the spring washer digging in to it as it was being loosened. So a touch up in the lathe was required.

And re-fitted without any problems. Looks as good as new!

I then attacked the next worn joint, an upper rod which is adjustable. It is therefore threaded into the torque rod. That is good as the other end of that rod is a different design and can be very tricky to disassemble. However, the tapered pin was turning in the housing instead of the nut un-screwing. So I used the 1" square recess on the ball end of the pin to hold it from turning using an 1" socket bar.

With the tapered pin released and the clamp bolt released, it was easy to unscrew the rod end from the torque rod. The liquid paper alignment marks can be seen in the picture below.

Then I pressed out the old joint and, being careful to put it in the correct way around, pressed the replacement joint into place. Although the joint can turn in the threaded rod, there is very little wriggle room to get adjusted to eliminate pre-loading the rod at rest. It therefore needed to go back together the same as before.

Then its' a simple matter to re-assemble it.

Although they come from a similar application, I will be watching the rubber bushes as I expect they have less flexibility than the old ball-type joint. We'll see.

Enjoy.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

kw573
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kw573 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:38 pm

Hi all,

Some years ago, as I was finishing this rebuild, I was speculating on the reliability of the vehicle once in service. I speculated that the most likely problems would be around the fuel system from the fuel tank to the injector pump.
And thus it was. While in the Northern Territory we started having starting problems in the mornings. We tracked it down to the tap on the chassis filter under the drivers side front mudguard (fender) sucking air. We had several attempts at repacking the gland, with only short term success. Eventually I bypassed the whole filter until we got home.
Like many jobs, I had to wait until I felt like doing it to make a start on it. How fickle am I ????

Anyway, I did fix it. To take the tap off for a proper inspection required taking the filter off the chassis. Then disassembled the tap only to find this on the gland packing seat!! How did I not see this very rough surface that had no chance of making an airtight seal?? By the way, the last time I had trouble with it seemed to be a lot worse than previously. I found a large paint fleck caught in the inlet bend of the tap which would have been restricting the flow of fuel to the filter. Ahh, that's what happened!
I had a similar problem decades ago with overheating and loss of power in my GPW that went on for 18 months before I found a cockroach wing in the fuel pump inlet elbow. The overheating was the leaning off of the mixture.

After a visit to a hydraulics service shop, I bought a couple of O ring type seals, including a 'Quad' ring which has a square cross section. I used a countersink tool to clean the seat . . . . .

. . . to get this . . .

. . . which I thought was well worth a try. So I reassembled the tap using one of the O rings and fitted it to the filter. I tested it by sucking on the clean outlet while sealing the inlet at the tap with my finger. So I drew a vacuum by sucking and sealed the pipe with my tongue, counted to sixty and paid attention to the suction in the outlet pipe. I could not detect (by feel) any loss of vacuum. Good enough for me!

Then refitted it to the chassis and have had no more trouble in 1000kms.
One more job done.
Enjoy.
Sam.
MB-T trailer.
3ton GS (Blitz) Trailer.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”