g506 Frame Media Blasting

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
TexasG506
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

g506 Frame Media Blasting

Post by TexasG506 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:00 am

Hi all,

Prepping my frame to go in for media blasting and powder coating. Looking at where there is steel on steel overlap on the frame, transfer case crossmember/pintle hitch crossmember, should those rivets be removed and the frame disassembled prior to blasting? Frame has been sitting outside and has surface rust everywhere. I'd imagine there must be rust in between those mating surfaces and would eventually creep out and start to remove any coatings again no?

What are other people doing?

Alex

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: g506 Frame Media Blasting

Post by parker007 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:44 pm

If i was you i would double think powder coating your frame, if you do you cant touch up any bad spot. and when it start to peel you have to re blast it. I know this because i have a 14' dump trailer that is ruined over a bad powder coat from pj trailers. the rust comes from under the powdercoat which in terms it just fall off.

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:12 am

Alex- I reckon that the perfect route is to separate the pieces, blast, prep, and paint. However, you may have to ask yourself what kind of can of worms you may open?

Surface rust never bothered me, but scale is another story. I am also not a fan of 'overrestoring' either. Try to prep as much as possible, but its even more important to get it back on the road and in working condition. I am also not a fan of powder coating a frame; I love basic enamel for most all parts.

Even if there is considerable rust in there, how old are you? Most likely may not get much worse in the next 3 to 4 decades if you inspect your vehicles like we should...

TexasG506
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by TexasG506 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:49 pm

USAFpj wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:12 am
Alex- I reckon that the perfect route is to separate the pieces, blast, prep, and paint. However, you may have to ask yourself what kind of can of worms you may open?

Surface rust never bothered me, but scale is another story. I am also not a fan of 'overrestoring' either. Try to prep as much as possible, but its even more important to get it back on the road and in working condition. I am also not a fan of powder coating a frame; I love basic enamel for most all parts.

Even if there is considerable rust in there, how old are you? Most likely may not get much worse in the next 3 to 4 decades if you inspect your vehicles like we should...

Frame is definitely still surface rust but not something I'm leaving. I guess my question still stands if we're talking about an enamel coating. If I sandblast without removing all the rust, eventually that rust will creep out of the dark corners and end up underneath chassis paint/coating/powder and start flaking. Short of taking it apart that rust will always be there.

So the question is how much of a deal is that to me? Guess that's something only I can answer. Taking apart the frame does seem like more trouble than its worth. Especially the risk of misalignment and torsion pulling something out of spec. Guess I can get creative on how to get the rust out of those pockets.

I'm not doing an original resto on this truck. My goal is to get it back on the road as my weekender and home depot hauler. Previous owner spray painted half the body or I'd concern original patina but at this point it's going to be more of a resto mod. 1939 Cadillac flathead motor, 1948 BW T9 trans, original drivetrain otherwise.

Side note..I was at my buddies PJ graduation last weekend. If that's what your username implies.

Alex

newc
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by newc » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:11 pm

Nix on the power coating. Just prime and paint. Always easy to retouch, good grounds for electrics and original. Newc

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by parker007 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:14 pm

if you spray rust killer product in areas and put in sun when it cool it suck the rust killer in to areas you cant see.

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:16 am

Alex, you do bring up a good observation, though. It is something to consider, but I just don't think many restorers separate frame pieces for that rust. Moisture and oxygen need to affect the surface, and do you think that is really happening in 2 pieces that are sandwiched and riveted together?

To give more insight, I would send this post to the MB/GPW section, and you will find even more opinions and direction.

-OB

TexasG506
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by TexasG506 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:31 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I'll blast the exposed frame and work on flushing the mated surfaces with some rust removing solutions without disassembling.

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:27 pm

Don’t powder coat. Prime and paint.

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”