Mark's GTB thread

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Mark's GTB thread

Post by mdainsd » Tue May 17, 2022 9:16 am

Despite this sub-forum having very little traffic, I thought I would make the effort to share my newest project...

Just over two weeks ago I was at the Spring Plymouth meet. One of the events was a focus on GTBs. There were three of them in the arena for close up inspection and comparison. I really enjoyed looking them over. Two cargo variants and one bomb service.
IMG_0886.jpg
I reminisced to my long time friend about one that I had way back in 1979. It never got finished as I was too young and poor to be able to do what was necessary. The engine and the transmission were full up with rusty watery sludge and nothing would move. So it didnt survive. But I thought (aloud), I'd like to have another one of these for the collection. I posted up here and other forums that I frequent with a WTB ad. A member here turned me on to a CL listing. And just two weeks after looking at them one was being rolled off the transporter in front of my house. :P

Generally it is a nice truck. However there are definitely things to be corrected:

It was a bomb service version but converted somewhere along the line into a cargo. Im not doing anything about that as the cargo truck has more value to me. So there are some issues with the bed that are not correct. I may address those, but low, low priority.

It still sports a Bomb Truck running board, that I will change out.

Fuel tank is home made. I think I have sourced an original.

Newer split rims. Not going to change, the newer ones are safer.

Instruments replaced with modern. Those are going!

Non-military tires. No rush, but those get changed when I find a super deal on the tires.

There will be more as I work my way through it, Im sure.

The good:

Rebuilt engine and drive train.

12V conversion, yes to me that is a plus. And with the battery in a box no casual look will reveal that little secret.

Completely RUST FREE. Nicest sheet metal that ive seen on a 80 year old military truck. Something about spending its life in the dessert.

Les see how this goes.
Attachments
IMG_0916.jpg
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Mark's GTB thread

Post by mdainsd » Tue May 17, 2022 9:46 am

So first couple of days spent just snooping around and see what I bought, sight unseen. Unpacked most of what was palletized in the bed. Goodies including a transmission, transfer case, steering gear and some original rims. Also boxes of small parts, new switches (correct) for re-doing the instrument panel. A spare radiator. New winch cable on the spool. The winch chain and hook including the oddly shaped end link. The cable thimble for terminating the cable into the chain, a very hard to find part. A bunch of other used small parts.

Started by doing a tune up on the engine. Nothing was far off, I just like them to be as close to perfect as I can get them. 21 inches of solid mercury on the vacuum gauge. Starts with just a breath on the starter button.

Next I pulled the instrument panel out and removed all the modern stuff. I have all the original style WW2 gauges to re-equip this truck less the temp gauge with the LONG capillary tube. Located one and it is on its way. While the wiring works fine, with everything but the horn working, I am tearing it all out and building new harnesses for it with the correct wires, looms, conduits etc.

Next. There were no rubbers around the inner windshields. More correctly, all that remained of the rubbers was the portion left down in the T channel of the frames. And that was literally petrified after being in the dessert sun for decades. So got busy getting the first inner frame out. This has proven to be a daunting task in the past when rust gets involved. I was over the moon when it slid out with only minimal effort. I devised a procedure to cut the T shaped portion into slices that then could be removed. Out it came and I cleaned up the T slots. I have some of the later fully molded rubbers for M35 style 6X6s around. What a pleasant surprize to find the bottom is the same length as the GTB windshields and only had to cut off alittle were the verticals were too long.Ones all back together and installed, next one is slated today and I imagine it goes much faster as now I know how to do it!

Also over the weekend the steering wheel got attention. Fill cracks, sand, prime and paint. Still have to hunt down the horn button parts
IMG_0917.jpg
The next couple of days I will finish laying out the harnesses and get wire and terminals on order.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Wed May 18, 2022 8:18 am

Hey Mark,

I am not a GTB guy but have general appreciation for all old vehicles. Your "new" truck has great potential and it sounds as though much of hard and expensive work has already been done...good for you! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Wed May 18, 2022 9:57 am

Thanks. Yes, at my advanced age complete restorations, just aren't that inviting anymore. So my working plan is to buy them like this, heavy work done, details needing attention. Things like wiring are things I enjoy. Correcting detail items and accessorizing are my favorite endeavors these days.

Well for every few steps forward there comes a few backwards steps it seems. I started on the other windshield yesterday. I noticed a tiny crack in one corner. Knowing that I tried to be as careful as possible removing the inner windshield. But the crack opened up all the way across, so now it is going to be a chore to get the frame apart after 80 odd years. Dry environment or not, the hardware seizes up. May be in for a drilling operation. Oh well, thats why its a hobby...

Edit: It went better than I expected. One screw out of the six broke off. Able to drill its remaining stud down enough to get the frame apart. Now I can work on getting the leftover of the broken screw out of the right angle brackets. That is a relief.

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Mon May 23, 2022 6:02 pm

Went ahead and pulled the first windshield apart (again). Went down and had new glass made for both. Oh well.

Getting ready to make the wiring harnesses for this truck. Its kind of fun sourcing the original materials to build them. The only thing proving hard to find is the cloth covered spark plug wires. The GTB uses 7 different colored wired for this application, Ive found 4...

Im finding some parts (almost all ) are very hard to find. The high beam indicator is one of them. Found a work around for the short term, a vintage Peterbuilt indicator fits with no modifications to the panel or the light.
IMG_0944.jpg

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:16 am

Time for an update.

Wiring harnesses almost finished. All are in and working excerpt the one that runs to the rear for the lights and trailer socket. Work continues on that.

Trailer socket rebuilt and repainted. Doesnt go on until wiring gets to that stage.

Both windshield glasses and installed new rubbers.

Realized there was no fan shroud, but the spare radiator that came with the truck had a rough one. Reworked, re-painted and installed.

The filterette was missing and I could not find one. While the GTB one is only a 2 pole, its made up of the same pieces as a WC dodge 3 pole one. Had those, so modified one to fit the GTB.

So, she was getting close to a shake down cruise. That when I made an unpleasant discovery. I was underneath measuring lengths for the wiring harnesses. There was a steady drip...drip...drip of transmission oil leaking out. On investigation it was coming from the PTO. After digging around a bit, I found that rather than find the right seal for the output shaft, someone had simply filled the seal retainer with red RTV and bolted it together. It was probably holding until I rotated the winch driveshaft to get to the zerk fittings. What a pain.

I'll try to get some pictures up but it is never fun (for me).

The filterette is visible above the steering column.
Panel.jpg
Attachments
IMG_1004.jpg

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”