G-506 Owners, Ten-Hut.

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

G-506 Owners, Ten-Hut.

Post by D.R.H. » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Hey guys, I am in new territory with my '41 because it has an original BV engine in it. I am in not totally familiar with this engines quirks or habits. I have been able to get it to run pretty well, but upon shut down there seems to a bit of oil smoke emanating from the draft tube down below and through the oil bath breather on top of the rocker cover. It's not a lot, just enough to make me wanna ask youse guys... IS THIS NORMAL? :)
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: G-506 Owners, Ten-Hut.

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:36 am

Hmm 🤔, well Dave, as the first responder to your query, I’m just going to go out on a limb here and say that the fact that an engine from 1941 runs well is not normal, and that it burns some oil would be normal for an engine that shouldn’t even be running ! How’s that for an opinion ? :roll:

I will now wait for some intelligent responses, as will you !

T

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Thanks Tony, I appreciate your candor. I really enjoyed reading the structure of your sentence, in fact it made me laugh out loud :) . I agree with your statement 110% and am mystified as to how this engine survived to run as well as it does. I was able to install the muffler I purchased from Paul onto a new header pipe. The results were quite remarkable.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.

newc
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by newc » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:16 am

Hi David; To really get the rings seated the engine need to pull a load and get warm. Run as necessary to move, but don't expect it to 'seat up' till on the road. Newc

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:53 am

D.R.H. wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:45 pm
Thanks Tony, I appreciate your candor. I really enjoyed reading the structure of your sentence, in fact it made me laugh out loud :) . I agree with your statement 110% and am mystified as to how this engine survived to run as well as it does. I was able to install the muffler I purchased from Paul onto a new header pipe. The results were quite remarkable.
😝 Glad you got a kick out of it, Dave. Seriously though, I’m just amazed at how she runs. I just watched the first video of the two that you posted on the “main thread” and really happy to see that part of the project come together well. I’m sure you’ll get the oil consumption figured out. Guess it all depends on how much “motoring” you will want to do as to how much work you will want to put into it.
Anyway, very cool. Will enjoy seeing the progress.
A big “thumbs up” to you. Keep up the great work.

T

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:09 pm

Understood Newc, thanks. She's not gonna be put on the road for some time. I have a short list of big things to do to Her like pressure wash, paint scrape, cab replacement, brakes and tires. Not necessarily in that order, I think tires will be first.

Tony, when I drained the oil that was in the engine when I received the truck, I put 1 quart of Dexron 3 Trans. oil in with 5 quarts of 10w-30 I had on the shelf. I ran the engine for probably a total of 2 hours to help flush the remaining sludge out. Yesterday, I changed the oil again using Chevron DELO 15W-30 and installed a new filter. What came out was pretty slippery but was jet black. I don't want to drop the pan just yet because we are in the rainy part of fall, and I don't really want to lay on the ground now.
After the oil change the wisps of oil smoke wafting out the the draft tube and top breather was considerably less. I also need to install the thermostat to get the engine to warm up more than just 110 degrees F., as Newc suggested.

Thanks for the encouragement from both of you. I appreciate it. :)

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:39 pm

Hello Dave,

Be careful !!!

I would be sure to use SAE 30 oil for her, and be certain it is
Non-detergent !!
Non- Detergent must be written on the bottle !!!

New oils that clean out your engine, will cause it to soon smoke !

On my 1942 Ford Jeep, I drained the old oil, changed filter, added Valvoline Non-Detergent oil to it, as recommended.

No issues at all !!

What I understand is that the old engines were designed to sling oil sludge and debris to the sides of the engine interior.

I had a neighbor that brought back a nice CCKW from Holland, ran perfect.
Changed the oil out with modern 10-30 and it smoked his engine.

I also have a neighbor that did the same with his willys engine, and it soon started smoking and the bearings can be heard.

I would drain your oil, and get SAE -30 oil for it, Advanced Discount sells it, like $7 a quart, but it is a must !!!

Don't blow that great engine !!!

Also, an early engine, like the early jeeps, smoke through the vent pipe on the side of the engine.
That is normal, they later added an
early type "emissions system" on it to redirect the oil smoke back into the engine.
My 42 Ford Jeep has the early vent pipe system, not the later type of upgraded system that came out mid war .

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”