Last call on G506 parts.

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Last call on G506 parts.

Post by forestry4evr » Sat May 29, 2021 5:09 am

Gentlemen,

As you may recall, some years ago I got a G506 parts truck and over the years have been whittling away on it to help resurrect my projects as well as bunch of other trucks across the country. Anyway over time it has been reduced to just a pile of scrap steel.

Other than the differential assemblies, this is all that remains. Sorry I couldn't get this picture to rotate correctly.

Since scrap metal prices are high and I want to clean up the farm, it became time to take the remains off to the scrapyard.

The sight of the cutup parts unceremonially dumped in the back of my truck made me feel a bit guilty about junking stuff that may have some value to someone else. If there is anything you may need, get up with me ASAP as this stuff is already on the truck and will be junked the next chance I get a weekday off work. BTW, the seats are remarkably original but also remarkably rusty so there isn't much anything of value in them.

Yeah I know it is a terrible picture for a description, but it is all that there is...

Unseen in the pile of pieces in the truck is this pair of rear springs.

I was able to recover a perfectly unmolested late 1942 suppressed firewall from the junk pile. Often these get boogered-up from the decades of "farmer fixes"

While sectioning the frame, I was able to recover a few more useable bits.

Anyway, speak up now if there is anything of interest as this stuff is going on its last road trip real soon.

I hope you all take the time to play with your trucks.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: Last call on G506 parts.

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Sat May 29, 2021 10:35 am

Hi Paul.

Nice of you to offer up the pieces. Hopefully someone will need a bit of em, but you’ve sure done a good job of utilization yourself, so it’s all good.

Just got in from playing with my truck. Got her all spiffed up and parked nose out at the end of the driveway so all of the visitors and locals too have a chance to get a look as we remember this Memorial Day.

Hope all is well.

Tony

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Sat May 29, 2021 1:16 pm

It would be a shame to scrap these pieces, especially that very nice firewall. Hopefully someone takes you up on your generosity.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

43chev
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by 43chev » Sat May 29, 2021 3:01 pm

Hey mate ,
Do you have any small parts for sale ? , or just what’s pictured ?

Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Frank USMC » Sat May 29, 2021 4:33 pm

Not to high jack Pauls post, but go up to G503 Family of sites section, Forums G503
I posted early this week about starting a forum for guys, well like me , who are graying out and have stuff, that maybe some one could use.
If some of you posts that you would like to have something like that, maybe we can get one started.
On the G506 side of things, I have the remains of my old windshield that came off my 1941 G506 Chevy. Any one wants it to use for sections, it is yours.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

M35a2duece
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by M35a2duece » Sat May 29, 2021 4:50 pm

What state are you in?

Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Frank USMC » Sun May 30, 2021 4:04 am

If you are posting to Paul or Me,..our locations are right under our names. Paul is the western part of North Carolina, I am on the coast of North Carolina.

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun May 30, 2021 5:03 am

Tony,
Good to hear from you man...hope all is going good up there in paradise. Yeah that old parts truck sure has been picked over like a cow carcass baking in the desert sun. It is cool that it has provided pieces for so many other projects over the years though, this is kind of like it's "last Hurrah" I suppose. I have been having some voltage regulator issues on my 41 Chevy, but still hope to get her out to ride around a bit tomorrow. I think it is important to show support for our casualties from past wars on Memorial Day since it seems that most people don't really contemplate what the holiday really means any longer. Maybe seeing an old OD green relic on Memorial Day will spark some thought or reflection.

43Chev,
I have a bunch of other G506 stuff acquired over the years...shoot me a PM with your needs, who knows perhaps I have some parts that you need.

Michael,
I didn't have the heart to trash the firewall. It has been pulled out of the junk pile as well as the little parts. Over the years I have seen several folks trying in vain to restore badly butchered firewalls.

Frank,
No need to apologize for offering pieces and parts. As you know windshield frames are hard to come by, and even a rusted one can be repaired by folks that have fabrication skills that eclipse my own. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Paul

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun May 30, 2021 6:26 am

Hi Paul,
Good on you for offering up the remains.
If they are still available, I would be interested in buying the 2 brackets that connect the fenders to the firewall.
Maybe a Chevy specific parts swap meet thread would get some traction? I have a few spares I'd like to offer up.
Kelley

M35a2duece
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by M35a2duece » Sun May 30, 2021 9:25 am

Frank USMC wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:04 am
If you are posting to Paul or Me,..our locations are right under our names. Paul is the western part of North Carolina, I am on the coast of North Carolina.
Sorry I don’t see that on my phone, must need to click on to your name perhaps

M35a2duece
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by M35a2duece » Sun May 30, 2021 9:28 am

I am interested in rear leaf springs and the hubs on my truck have the stud holes egged out so I could use them, but I’m in Wisconsin so it’s not viable for me to take a road trip. So it really comes down to if shipping is cost prohibitive honestly, thank you.

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Mon May 31, 2021 3:23 am

kelley wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 6:26 am
Hi Paul,
Good on you for offering up the remains.
If they are still available, I would be interested in buying the 2 brackets that connect the fenders to the firewall.
Maybe a Chevy specific parts swap meet thread would get some traction? I have a few spares I'd like to offer up.
Hey Jon,
The brackets are yours. I will pull them and get them to you soon.
Paul

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Mon May 31, 2021 3:26 am

M35a2duece wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:28 am
I am interested in rear leaf springs and the hubs on my truck have the stud holes egged out so I could use them, but I’m in Wisconsin so it’s not viable for me to take a road trip. So it really comes down to if shipping is cost prohibitive honestly, thank you.
Yeah its a bit far for a road trip, although road trips are always fun. Do you have a Fastenal store near you? I have used them and the price of shipping seems reasonable. I am willing to affix them to a pallet and deliver them to my local store. Perhaps we should take this discussion to a PM.
Paul

M35a2duece
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by M35a2duece » Mon May 31, 2021 10:32 am

Sent a pm 2 different ways but there not leaving my outbox… hmm….

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:29 am

Hi Paul,

Just wondering if there are brake shoes inside those front hubs. The friction material is available, but shoes seem particularly difficult to source, at least on this side of the pond.

Thanks for offering up these pickings of your "bone pile". Hopefully you can help a few more restorations get a little closer to completion!
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”