Dodge wc 54 Ambulance 731643 Restoration

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
HH Birnie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Dodge wc 54 Ambulance 731643 Restoration

Post by HH Birnie » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:05 am

Recent weeks I spoke someone,by email, about the report of separation of Alex Bohmann. I didn't understand all of it. He looked at the report and has listed several things.
Below a compilation of the emails and his findings.
Alex J BOHMANN was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, on January 25, 1919. He goes to school, does two years of High School and his profession is Electrician. On April 3, 1941, he is enlisted in the US Army as a Private in Fort Thomas the Newport Kentucky for a period of 1 year. His Army Serial Number is 35122293. The fact that his enlistment is for a period of one year and that his serial number starts with a three plus that he was 'inducted' instead of 'enlisted' indicates that he was drafted as part of the mobilization of the National Guard in early 1941. This was only planned to last for a year, but the attack on Pearl Harbor changed almost all incorporations from 1 to 'For the duration of the war'. On November 27, 1941, he received a service certificate stating that he had successfully completed training as a Medical Technician from August 30 to October 31, 1941 at the William Beaumont General Hospital of El Paso, Texas. The certificate will be presented on November 27, 1941 at Fort Francis E. Warren, Wyoming, then home of the 48th Surgical Hospital. This does not necessarily mean that his employment also ends on November 27, because his employment on April 1 was for the period of one year. And that date is very close to Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. What happens to Bohmann after that is not clear, but on December 20, 1943 he is in any case in service because then he will receive a Tetanus vaccine while somewhere in 1942 he has the Marksman certificate for good marksman with the Garand rifle and/or M1 carbine achieved. On August 5, 1944, the 94th Infantry Division leaves for Europe. Bohmann is then still a Surgical Technician (Military Occupation Specialty, MOS 861 see also https://militaryyearbookproject.org/ref ... nician-861) meanwhile with the Medical Detachment of the 356th Field Artillery Battalion, equipped with 155mm Howitzers. So he is not necessarily a member of the 319th Medical Battalion and probably never was.The Division arrives in England on August 11, 1944 and crosses the Channel into France on September 8, 1944.The 356th FA Battalion distinguished itself along with the other units of the Division during 4 campaigns (Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe) giving Bohmann 4 stars on his EAME medal ribbon. He does not get hurt because then he would have received a Purple Heart medal. The units of the 94th Infantry Division did not leave Europe until early 1946 and arrived in New York on February 6, 1946. The division is disbanded at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey on February 7, 1946. But Bohmann is already back home because he himself leaves Europe on November 21, 1945, arrives in the USA on November 30, 1945 and is demobilized in the Fort Indiantown Gap Military Reservation in Pennsylvania on December 6, 1945. He probably had enough points (the document states 75 points as of September 2, 1945) to leave the service early or his frail parents may play a role here. According to the document, there are indeed two persons dependent on him. The highest rank Bohmann has worn is that of T3 (technically equivalent to a Staff Sergeant. The medals he has obtained are listed on the document. Upon his discharge, he received, in addition to the Ruptured Duck insignia for the uniform, the same Lapel Button for wearing it on the civilian suit. The fact is that on December 6, 1945 he has served three years, 4 months and 9 days in the USA and 1 year 3 months and 25 days overseas ... so in total 4 years and just over 8 months. So this has been uninterrupted since April 1, 1941!!!!!!! So he never left the service in 1941.

The chassis number of the Dodge is 81676297, which looks like an October 1943 production. The USA 731643 hood number seems to confirm this. If this is indeed the case, then the Dodge WC54 could never have served at the 48th Surgical Hospital, as it ceased to exist on May 1, 1943 and became the 128th Evacuation Hospital from then on. Consequently, the marking on the bumper can never be 48th SH related.I suspect that Bohmann left the 48th SH when it left for Europe on July 25, 1942. The 94th Infantry Division was established on September 15, 1942 at Fort Custer, Michigan. It is quite possible that Bohmann did not leave with the 48SH to stay in the USA and take care of his frail parents. But this is speculation. Most likely from the info we have now is that Bohmann drove the WC54 while serving in the 319th Medical Battalion of the 94th Division and that he transferred somewhere in Europe to the Medical Detachment of the 356th Field Artillery Battalion.The Medical Detachment of a Field Artillery Battalion in an Infantry Division (356th FA Bn of the 94th Division) had one Jeep with trailer and a Dodge WC52, not a single WC54. It is clear from his Separation Record that Bohmann did not come to Europe until the summer of 1944. But the 48th SH already left the USA in the summer of 1942. If the WC54 belonged to the 48th Surgical Hospital, then he drove it in the USA. If the Dodge WC54 served with the 94th Infantry Division in Europe in 1944/45, the most obvious markings would be: 94-319M Star A (or B or C) - Vehicle Number. The Collecting Companies (A-B-C) of the Medical Battalion were the only ones to have WC54.

I guess we'll never know for sure, but this story will be pretty accurate.
Hans Birnie

HH Birnie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HH Birnie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:22 am

What seemed almost impossible in 2018 has finally succeeded. From 5 scratched letters to a bumper marking. The last puzzle pieces did not reveal themselves easily. With the help of Johan Willaert, the facts were listed and explained chronologically. Why 94 - 319 and not 94 - 356. The 356th fa bn had no ambulances in use. Well the 319th med div which was incorporated as a unit at 94th div. If you look into the history of the 94th you see that they go from Normandy, Utah beach through Brittany. Over a long front, the Germans are trapped at, the ports of Lorient and Saint Nazaire. This creates major problems for the 319th med div which needs to split. So it makes sense that Alex Bohmann helped with the wounded from the 356th and was on an ambu, my ambu.
Hans Birnie.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:53 am

HH Birnie wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:22 am
What seemed almost impossible in 2018 has finally succeeded. From 5 scratched letters to a bumper marking. The last puzzle pieces did not reveal themselves easily. With the help of Johan Willaert, the facts were listed and explained chronologically. Why 94 - 319 and not 94 - 356. The 356th fa bn had no ambulances in use. Well the 319th med div which was incorporated as a unit at 94th div. If you look into the history of the 94th you see that they go from Normandy, Utah beach through Brittany. Over a long front, the Germans are trapped at, the ports of Lorient and Saint Nazaire. This creates major problems for the 319th med div which needs to split. So it makes sense that Alex Bohmann helped with the wounded from the 356th and was on an ambu, my ambu.
Hans Birnie.

Hello Hans,

What great research and a great update !!
Believe it of not, another 94th Infantry Division vehicle, a jeep, was just discovered in England, marked for the 356th Field Artillery Battallion !!!

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=167227&start=30

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

Best Regards,
Ray

HH Birnie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HH Birnie » Wed May 17, 2023 12:04 am

The persistence of sanding paid off again.

After the war, the ambulance was refurbished for the Marshall project to go to Norway. Now, based on the number of coats of paint, I can determine who made the repair plates on the ambulance, Norway or the Americans in Schwabische gemund ordnance rebuildshop. The text tells the date the ambulance was ready to use, Oct 52. The same tekst on the D.O.D. in the cabine.
SGORS: Schwabische Gemund ordnance rebuildshop.
https://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm? ... tOrdGp.htm
Gr Hans
Last edited by HH Birnie on Fri May 19, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed May 17, 2023 7:14 am

HH Birnie wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:04 am
The persistence of sanding paid off again.

After the war, the ambulance was refurbished for the Marshall project to go to Norway. Now, based on the number of coats of paint, I can determine who made the repair plates on the ambulance, Norway or the Americans in Schwabische gemund ordnance repairshop. The text tells the date the ambulance was ready to use, Oct 52. The same tekst on the D.O.D. in the cabine.
SGORS: Schwabische Gemund ordnance repairshop.
https://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm? ... tOrdGp.htm
Gr Hans
Hello Hans ,

That is a great discovery !!
Another piece of the puzzle for your beautiful WC-54's incredible history :D !!
Schwabische Gemund, Germany may be a cool place to drive your vehicle someday for a visit !
A beautiful area in Bavaria, surrounded by beautiful areas and scenery, it would make a great road trip !!

Best Regards,
Ray

HH Birnie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HH Birnie » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:10 am

A nice ride in the Teutenburgerwalt, Germany.
Slept in the ambulance on a stretcher
With a nice view over cornfields.
A leaky valve in the morning. But after pumping up the tire remained hard.

Best regards,
Hans

HH Birnie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HH Birnie » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:34 pm

This summer I have read a pdf file of 500 pages thick. I was hoping for some new insights into Alex Bohmann's time in the military, 356th FA BN med dept. I found several names who works perhaps close to him. But thats a blind shot.
Out of the blue I received an email with nice information about the fire missions of 356th, incl a roster of the 356th med dept. I think I'm going to check the med dept's list of names for next of kin now, relatives. Perhaps the have pictures of other stuff.
Gr Hans

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:38 am

HH Birnie wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:10 am
A nice ride in the Teutenburgerwalt, Germany.
Slept in the ambulance on a stretcher
With a nice view over cornfields.
A leaky valve in the morning. But after pumping up the tire remained hard.

Best regards,
Hans

Hello Hans,

Wow, I missed your post as I was on vacation in Boston.
Incredible adventures with your Dodge !!
It makes a perfect camper too :D !
Wonderful pictures, a great group of vehicles, and quite an historic area for a visit !
Did you look at the Herman Denkmal in the forest ?
It looks like a beautiful trip, I really like that area, and have a great friend who lives there, whose dad was a German fighter pilot.
He lives in Detmold.
There was a big British Armored base in the area, but I think they have all moved out now.

Can't wait for a trip back to Europe !!

Keep us posted on your Dodge expeditions, maybe back to Bavaria or even Norway someday :D .

It is what we call... Living History !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:41 am

HH Birnie wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:34 pm
This summer I have read a pdf file of 500 pages thick. I was hoping for some new insights into Alex Bohmann's time in the military, 356th FA BN med dept. I found several names who works perhaps close to him. But thats a blind shot.
Out of the blue I received an email with nice information about the fire missions of 356th, incl a roster of the 356th med dept. I think I'm going to check the med dept's list of names for next of kin now, relatives. Perhaps the have pictures of other stuff.
Gr Hans

Hans what a great discovery !!!
I hope the family visits you some day for a ride in the WC-54 !!!

How many people can have something like this to look upon and experience ???

Outstanding !

Best Regards,
Ray

HH Birnie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HH Birnie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:44 am

I had not sanded the left side all the way to the right layer. With further sanding to the right layer, something suddenly appeared again,SV-A2.
SV-A2, which stands for Service Company of Battalion not previously identified. This SV came from the 595th Ambulance company, motor pool.
I also put A2 on the bumpers because my jeep was the first vehicle and the ambulance the second. :D
This confirms what we suspected. Alex Bohmann was assigned an ambulance from an Ambulance motor pool.

HH Birnie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HH Birnie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:52 am

The repair plates were still on the left corner. After removing it, it became clear why they had put over it.

Another tough sheet metal job, but fun to do. Better than just sanding the Ambulance.

HH Birnie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HH Birnie » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:45 am

The Island, Betuwe, The Netherlands
The Betuwe WW2 remembrance event The Island 44-45. Around Doornenburg Castle, the story of 198 days of bloody battle of the 101 Airborne division in the Betuwe is told, reenacted and depicted.
Me, with wrong boots, looking at the military appeal.

For some time I have known that the Ambu served with the 94th Division.On the 94th's website I found a 500-page report.On page 411 I found a photo that I had seen before but now caught my attention. The dent in the left corner of my ambulance looks the same on the ww2 picture. I tried to measure the spot.It appears to be in the same place. There were only 10 ambulances in the platoon(94th-319 med bn). That's why I'm now looking for the original photo, to have a better vieuw. I know... in the Netherlands we said: looking through rose-colored glasses.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:35 am

Really interesting period WC54 photo with the dent that is very similar to the dent on your WC54. Things like that really gets one's blood pumping to find out more. Nice discovery!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

HH Birnie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by HH Birnie » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:25 pm

There were only 10 ambulances in the platoon(94th-319 med bn)
I made a reading error. At the top of the column it said 3X. So its 30 Ambulances.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:02 am

HH Birnie wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:25 pm
There were only 10 ambulances in the platoon(94th-319 med bn)
I made a reading error. At the top of the column it said 3X. So its 30 Ambulances.

Hello Hans,

Great pictures from the event at the castle !!
Maybe take a close look on your WC-54 to see if there are any additional bolt holes where in the original photo of the WC54 has that double gas can holder set up installed on the driver's fender.
That might be a big clue that can still be found, even if the holes were welded up.

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”