Pleasant surprise while restoring my G506 cargo bed

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
signsup
banned

Pleasant surprise while restoring my G506 cargo bed

Post by signsup » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:05 pm

This truck is a whole new learning experience for me. Every day is like Christmas. Or...Halloween, trick or treat.
I thought I had a steel bed as the floor of it was, to me, a solid sheet of steel. But while feeling the underside of it, we felt the wooden slats and carriage bolts and looked carefully and noticed a few tack weld holding down the steel sheet.
So, after cutting through the welds and finding the bolts that hold the side panels in place, we found a pretty decent wooden composite bed and all the slats, stringers and hardware. We are numbering the boards as we remove them and saving pieces of them for dimensional measurements. Two shallow round over grooves in the top of each board for the stringers to grab hold of and the two outerboards have an additional rabbit edge on the bottom to sit over the ledger plate on the side panels.
Smells like pine to me when we cut it. Bottom sides still OD green.

Now I have to learn woodworking in addition to everything else.

TO THE SAWMILL!!
Attachments
cargobed after.JPG
cargobed after.JPG (29.21 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Pleasant surprise while restoring my G506 cargo bed

Post by retro-roco » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 am

That wood floor is in amazing condition! The board widths almost appear random??
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

newc
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by newc » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:50 am

WOW! I restored a composite bed and It was fun. the board widths are special to fit.. used Kiln-dried milled lumber ... hardwood clear. the carriage bolts were fine thread and hard to source. Great find. Newc

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:55 am

I have sawn and saved a 1 ft sample of each board and numbered them in order. The number 1 board, the first board on the drivers side could not be saved, it was dry rotted all along the panel side and I could not get a piece that had it's total width. But, that's the only side. At least three different widths, maybe some are identical. Surprised to find one with a lap joint and the carrage bolt running through the lap joint. All other boards are one piece.
I am more than happy to measure each board and provide the measurements, but I don't know how identical each composite bed was from manufacturer to manufacturer. This one has an OCT tag on it.

Arrow Safety Device reflectors on the front panel. 1945 date.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Zuke
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Zuke » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Lt.General, My name is Tim and I’m from Young Harris Georgia mountains and was wondering where Winston Ga. is. If you would be interested I would like for you to view my newly acquired 506. And maybe I could visit you as well. I’m in Kennestone hospital right now recovering from cancer surgery,mbut I get to go home to our other house in Rockmart Ga. tomorrow. After a little heal time I’ll be right back at it getting it restored to original condition. It’s really a great Truck, minimal amount of rust and has had a homeboy restoration done to it but that may not last long!!!! I’m having trouble with getting parts, yes sir they are a good amount of them on the net but shipping is going to cost me money that I could use for closer parts. I’ve been talking to forestry forever and he is close and trying to come see me as well and bring me some parts along with him. As common courtesy of the military Thank You For Your Time Sir, it’s great to be able to talk to the commanding officer of the G, with a Salute,sincerely Cpl. T.P. Shook, retired Army Ranger,2/75th Bat Sgt. First Class, four years U.S. Navy, P.O. First Class Aviation Hydraulics, 21.4 year CSMGT.U.S.A.F. C5a Flight engineer

Zuke
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Zuke » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:13 pm

Sorry about that Sir, C.O. Of the GEORGIA,(YEA) MVPA 😁😁😁

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:19 am

Rockmart Ga. to Winston Ga. 28.8 miles
Winston is West of Atlanta just North of Rt 70, South of Rockmart
37min drive

Google is amazing too.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

newc

Post by newc » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:25 pm

The composite beds are really nice to work on- bolt together ect. The wood is logical and just find a hardwood miller and use kiln dried clear. Out West we use white Ash. Newc

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”