QuickG506 firewall ignition box question.

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
signsup
banned

QuickG506 firewall ignition box question.

Post by signsup » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Just moved and my new manuals are in a box in the basement...
or the steel building …
or the family room . . .
or bookshelf . . .
or office . . .

Anyway, trying to start the 43 Chevy with a 62 235 truck motor in it. 12v Chasing a spark issue and we are close. On the firewall almost directly in the middle close to the hood hinge is a mounted metal box about the size of a cigarette package. One wire going in from under the dash and one terminal coming out that has a wire that goes to the positive terminal on the coil. The connection on this box reminds me of the filterette connections on my GPW.
What is this thing?

If it's a filterette, should I just bypass it until I get my spark issue addressed? If it's a resistor type set up, do I need it if I am 12v.

If it's not "normal" I can take a photo, but it looks like it is original to the firewall. Non dump non winch 506 .
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

signsup
banned

Re: QuickG506 firewall ignition box question.

Post by signsup » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:32 pm

It is a filterette and there is one from the circuit to the coil and one over by the drivers side soing to the voltage regulator and amp gage circuit. I'll bypass them for now to make sure they are not affecting my starting spark issue and then I'll test them and determine if I will actually use them or kill them in the box and use just the terminals for appearance.

The oil filled filters in my GPW all leaked oil and were bad, so I just ran wires into the box and connected them through a terminal block to wires going out of the box and no one knows but us chickens.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”