FS - Chevy G506 glass etching stencils

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

FS - Chevy G506 glass etching stencils

Post by retro-roco » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:59 pm

I have stencil sets for etching the LOF logo and date codes as were typical on the windshield, side windows and rear window of the G506 family of trucks; available for sale. You can find more background info on the project here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=201693

The stencils are self-adhesive and are used to replicate the logos originally etched in the window glass. Here are pics of the stencil artwork:

Windshield Stencil

Side - rear window stencil

Please note that the outer "frame" lines are not part of the stencil, but indicate where they are separated from one another.

The stencils are intended for single use only, and for use on glass lying flat. If you elect to use them on glass that as been installed, the acid cream should easily stay in place; allowing for a good etch to be achieved. The removal of it WILL be more challenging though, requiring it to be wiped off with a wet sponge or rag. You will need to take steps to insure that the acid cream does not come in contact with exposed surfaces of your truck! I would suggest having a bucket of clean water handy, so any acid cream can flushed immediately with clean water if it does come in contact.

Each set of stencils includes three (3) windshield stencils (one spare) and four (4) side or rear window stencils (one spare) for a total of 7 stencils. Also included are directions for their use, and a list of items required to complete the etching project. The price per set is $25 USD, including First class postage in the lower 48 US; payable by USPS money order or Paypal. If you are not in the lower USA, contact me for postage costs.

Months and years currently available include:

1 - 41
6 - 42
9 - 42
1 - 43
6 - 43
11 - 43
1 - 44
6 - 44
10 - 44
12 - 44
4 - 45

Anyone choosing to buying a full sheet of stencils sets (five complete sets), can get five stencil sets for the price of four ($100 USD). Additional months and years, and even other logos (like the GMC logo??) are possible, but will depend on interest. Please contact me via email or PM through this forum.

Below are results of using my stencils and "Armor Etch" acid etching cream (available at your local Hobby Lobby, online, or through a number of other vendors). The small 3 oz. bottle is more than enough to do all five (5) winodws.
NEW Windhield logo - NEW side window logo - Original side window logo
Last edited by retro-roco on Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: FS - Chevy G506 glass etching stencils

Post by forestry4evr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:11 am

Kirk,

Thank you for putting these together. They look great.

Can you explain the "challenging" part of installation on glass already in place?

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:18 am

Paul,

The more "challenging" part of using on glass already installed is mentioned in the next line...
You will need to take steps to insure that the acid cream does not come in contact with exposed surfaces of your truck!
Using it on uninstalled glass, you just walk to the sink, and rinse the acid cream down the drain. If your glass is installed, it's not quite that simple. Is it beyond the skills of anyone who has restored their truck?? Absolutely not. Just wanted to be clear that the acid paste MUST be kept away from exposed surfaces of your truck, or flushed immediately with clean water if it does come in contact.
Kirk Gustafson

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:29 am

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
4th Tank Battalion, 4th Marine Division
M1A1 Main Battle Tank Mechanic
M88 Armored Vehicle Recovery Operator
AVLB Operator

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:23 am

Farrell,

Very nice step by step write up! The results are very impressive. Regarding the 9-42 dated stencils, I'll put you on the list for the next batch. I only had two people speak up when I was trying to determine interest and what dates to do first.
Kirk Gustafson

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:29 am

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AVLB Operator

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:31 am

Farrell,
Thanks for the link, and for putting together the demonstration...very good description. It takes the pressure off working on fresh new glass already in place. I will look around for a Hampton Inn room key and old sock!

Kirk,
I am in for a set of 1-41 stencils. You were thinking ahead by providing spares so one can "learn" the process on a junk piece of glass before working on the real thing. Your a smart man. I will send you an email with the essential details. Thank you for getting this together as it will help many others.

Paul

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:55 am

Kirk,

I don't know how I missed this post. Thanks for all your work on this. I'm in for a set of 6-42 stencils and will follow up with you directly.

John

199th MP
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 199th MP » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:46 pm

as a retired glazier i can tell you i have etched plenty of glass over the decades, and if you follow this plan, you will like the results. there is one other aspect of which you may not be aware, but retro roco has it covered. the grades of glass used for windshields are different than that used for side and rear windows. that is a result of the federal automotive safety glazing standards. the thickness of the laminate inter layer is .030 for the windshields, but for the side and rear, it's only .015. that's why one decal says sheet, and one says plate. little trivia for all of you. the plate has also been polished to a higher degree of visual standards, so as to reduce distortion. if you reside in a state that has strict vehicle inspection standards, you must have a visible trademark etched into each individual piece of glass, in order to pass the inspection.
1966 M151A1

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:02 pm

199th MP wrote:... if you reside in a state that has strict vehicle inspection standards, you must have a visible trademark etched into each individual piece of glass, in order to pass the inspection.
Thanks for the info 199th MP, especially that last part! You might have just helped my sales!! :lol:
Kirk Gustafson

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:15 am

Was off work yesterday and it was a warm rainy day. Although I wanted to cut firewood, it was a better day to tackle a long lingering project as the temperatures were about 70 degrees and not too many of those days are ahead of us at least in my locality. I had great trepidation doing this project with all of my windows installed, but with rereading Farrell's post and Kirks instruction sheet everything went well. I found that having a couple of moist sponges on hand, everything could be wiped down immediately after the stencils were removed with not "off site" impacts to the glass. I also tested the etching crème for reactivity on painted surfaces and rubber and found no impact.

Another project within a project done and the finish details look great. Thanks Kirk!

Have you ever noticed it is real hard to get good glass images? Although not the best, this is the drivers side windshield etching.

The image of the passenger side turned out a little better. When prepping for the stencils, it can be confusing to remember which side of the glass is supposed to be etched...outside for the drivers side, and inside for the passenger side.

Enjoy!

Paul

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:25 am

Wow!! Those look awesome! So glad it worked out so well for you.
Last edited by retro-roco on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Gustafson

Farrell Fox
banned

Post by Farrell Fox » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:16 am

[Post Deleted By Author]
Last edited by Farrell Fox on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
AVLB Operator

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:34 am

G506 and/or G508 truck owners. If you're sitting on the fence about buying a set of stencils, I understand; but here is where I stand right now.

There has been very limited interest in these stencils. I have to date "sold" three sets, including one set for myself. Each sheet of stencil material can hold up to 5 complete sets of stencils. I proceeded with the project even though I only had three firm commitments, by filling the sheets with additional dates that no one had yet requested (ie 6-43 and 6-44). I am hoping to produce one more run of stencils, and that will likely be the last run, judging by sales to date. If you think you MIGHT be interested, but would require dates different than those listed here, just let me know. If I'm going to fill a sheet with additional dates, they might as well be dates that someone has at least expressed an interest in.

Months and years currently available include:

1 - 41
6 - 42
6 - 43
6 - 44

Additional date(s) requested so far:

9-42 (requested by Farrell)

If you have an interest in ANY other dates, please let me know.

Thanks!
Kirk Gustafson

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:10 pm

I'll take a set, PM sent.
Kelley