New 506 owner

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: New 506 owner

Post by kelley » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:28 pm

Hey Gabby,
If Dave wants to call me Paul, fine with me or as my boy always says "I'm down with that", I get called MUCH worse pretty much on a daily basis. :D

Dave,
Now that you've planted the seeds of doubt in my head, I've got to get my hands on those drawings, Particularly the overall width and length of he Chevy cargo body. The 105 box doesn't come close to covering up those "Big Meats" and it would be good to know the correct width to maybe incorporate it into the modifications.

Thanks and I'll be sending along a PM.

Your Pal,

Jon
Attachments
Big Meats-1.jpg
Big Meats-1.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 10254 times
Big Meats-2.jpg
Big Meats-2.jpg (114.52 KiB) Viewed 10254 times
Kelley

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Yup. Ya gotta keep the meat covered.

So I hear.

1947cj2
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 1947cj2 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Jon. this is Alan down in S.C. that you got the radiator from. Reading the discussion on the bed made me think of the one on my 1/2 ton Dodge. I used the one on my Chevy as sort of a guide when building it. Being a fabricator myself I have no doubt that you could dead-on duplicate a 1 1/2 ton bed. You are truly an artisan in your work on this project. I just wish I had access to some of metal working machines you have. If you would like to take a look at that bed I built, go to mmracing.biz and then click on the Military page and scroll through the pictures until you come to my little Dodge that my son has laid claim to. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you take a pile of tired, worn out, abused, once proud junk and with great care and skill build a truck that will be a source of pride and admiration, the rest of your life. Keep it up Jon, Alan.
Alan Morehead
Grandaddy
WWII collector, actually I collect a lot of things....
Too many jeeps/trucks/toys to list. He who dies with the most toys wins....

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 am

Jon Kelley, sorry about the name mix up. I don't know why I got it in my head to call you Paul. I went back and corrected the name errors.
Last edited by D.R.H. on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

1947cj2
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by 1947cj2 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:44 am

Jon, one other thing that I am sure you are very aware of but just in case someone else might be reading this rebuild, if you start grinding, cutting or welding on that 105 bed, be sure and be in a well ventilated area. You may even want to wear a respirator while doing any of those functions. That CARC paint is some mean stuff when disturbed. Alan
Alan Morehead
Grandaddy
WWII collector, actually I collect a lot of things....
Too many jeeps/trucks/toys to list. He who dies with the most toys wins....

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi Alan,
Thanks for checking in, The cargo box is a bolt on accessory that can get changed at any time. For the time being the 105 box is going to have to do. I'm planning to weld on some formed extensions to each side to cover the wheels and build a nice steel headboard with a removable rear bunk. I may also remove parts of the sides of the cargo box to make room for a Big old Lincoln welder to sit behind the cab and if I do that I will also have to come up with a home for the Oxygen and Acetylene cylinders, cables, hoses and stuff.
Welders have a way of "personalizing" their trucks, I'm no different.
As a side note my truck is sporting the rear springs and hangars from the same trailer that the cargo box came from, It's kind of fitting for them to stay together.
Thank you for the heads up on the CARC paint, that stuff really holds up well.
Don't sugar coat it Dave, let us know how you really feel :x :x :x .
Attachments
Sam 400.jpg
I think this big welding machine would look pretty sharp in the back of my truck.
Sam 400.jpg (126.59 KiB) Viewed 10208 times
Kelley

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:50 pm

A few weeks back i took my Chevy on it's first drive. That was a pretty big milestone but for me a more difficult milestone was reached today by taking my 1st drive with brakes. It was really something to see all the work that went into the hubs, shoes,drums and wheel cylinders all those months ago, and more recently bending, flaring and bleeding the brake lines and the plumbing for the Hydrovac all come together. I now have a truck that runs, drives and stops, that's pretty cool :D .
Attachments
Hydrovac plumbing-1.jpg
The Hydrovac and plumbing were long gone on my truck, i scrounged the piping and check valve off a spare cab of mine.
Hydrovac plumbing-1.jpg (125.56 KiB) Viewed 10159 times
Hydrovac plumbing-2.jpg
Vacuum hose is tough to find at the local parts stores, I used some super heavy duty air compressor hose from the manifold and heater hose for the vent.
Hydrovac plumbing-2.jpg (117.93 KiB) Viewed 10159 times
Brake bleeder-1.jpg
This is my handy little brake bleeding gizmo. I used a master cylinder cap with a valve stem from an inner tube brazed to it and an O ring to seal it to the Master cylinder.
Brake bleeder-1.jpg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 10159 times
Brake bleeder-2.jpg
I used the bicycle pump to pressurize the system to make bleeding easier. This thing worked great!
Brake bleeder-2.jpg (125.36 KiB) Viewed 10159 times
Kelley

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:30 am

Jon,

Isn't it great to achieve a major milestone? Your work is creative as always. Brakes are nice to have around.

Were you able to purchase cut-to-length compressor hose, or did you have to buy an entire section? If this works, I imagine there are several others that would like some source information.

I like your pressure bleeding system, very innovative. I used the more old school method of having an assistant pump the brakes while I opened the bleeders. I have always attached a short section of vacuum hose to the bleeder, and then submerge the other end of the hose into a glass jar partially filled with brake fluid.

Looks like you are well past the doldrums in your rebuild now that you have overcome most all of the dirty work. The rest is more like adding "bling" which is more in the way of immediate gratification.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks Paul,
The Hose came with a 100# pressure pot sandblaster. It looks like jack hammer hose but is only 1/2'' ID. I just cut off what i needed and used hose clamps.
My wife would have been happy to help with the brake bleeding, but this way i was able to get it done on my schedule and without the costly payback :wink.
Soon enough i will be making gobbs of money pitching this amazing new product on cable tv and will be able to hire professionals to bleed my brakes.
Attachments
Pitchman.jpg
Pitchman.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 10129 times
Kelley

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:07 am

My newly acquired Arrow Gear brand PTO now has been cleaned up, had new gaskets cut and installed and also gotten a new output shaft oil seal. The oil seal for the control leaver/shaft is an oddball. If and when it leaks i will figure out a solution.
The PTO was held onto the old truck with a collection of studs and bolts, basically whatever they had. The rotted out rear differential housing from my WC6 provided me with the perfect size and length of double ended studs to connect the PTO to the transmission.
The routing of the exhaust pipe did not provide enough clearance for the PTO so it had to be modified. There were 2 clearance issues to work out. There was not enough room for the control shaft linkage and the pipe dropping down from the manifold was going to be too close to the drive shaft for the winch.
I also wanted to mention, the PTO sits lower than the transmission and creates somewhat of a sump in which all the metal chips and sludge collect. There was a lot of crap in there, if you have not cleaned yours out in a while it might be a good time to do so. :wink:
I am going to pull the whole thing out and have Mario bend me up a spare set of pipes to have for my other truck.
Attachments
Bent pipe from Mario's.jpg
Before i got started i went to Mario's and had him put a few bends in a short piece of pipe.
Bent pipe from Mario's.jpg (127.09 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
Exhaust mods-2.jpg
As is, there was not enough room for the control leaver to bolt up to the PTO.
Exhaust mods-2.jpg (103.46 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
Exhaust mods-3.jpg
Before
Exhaust mods-3.jpg (89.42 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
Exhaust Mods-1.jpg
After
Exhaust Mods-1.jpg (127.24 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
Exhaust mods-4.jpg
After
Exhaust mods-4.jpg (124.86 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
Exhaust mods-5.jpg
After
Exhaust mods-5.jpg (97.85 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
Kelley

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:32 am

Jon,

So now you are adding the PTO/winch to the first truck? Have you figured out how to attach the rear pole setter winch as well?

Looks like fun, and it should make for plenty of inside work this winter.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Yes, I am going to remove the winch and install it on this truck. To me, something as cool as a winch is way better than chrome or alloy wheels, gotta have it. The winch has to come off to clean up the mess that was made installing it.
The following pictures are of the unfinished PTO shifter linkage that i am working on. I wanted the shifter to come out of the floor as close to the center of the truck as possible without crowding the shifter. There is 9'' of offset between the center line of the link coming out of the PTO and the center of the shifter coming out of the floor.
It works great, butThere is still a bunch of loose ends to finish up.
Attachments
PTO control linkage-1.jpg
PTO control linkage-1.jpg (131.88 KiB) Viewed 10086 times
PTO control linkage-2.jpg
PTO control linkage-2.jpg (123.48 KiB) Viewed 10086 times
PTO control linkage-3.jpg
PTO control linkage-3.jpg (136.26 KiB) Viewed 10086 times
Kelley

philbrinson
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by philbrinson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:55 am

Penalty Flag!

Now what fun is that, moving the PTO shifter to a logical location out of the way? If you don't have to avoid that shifter in between your size 12's, how are you going to know its engaged or not?

Phil
1937 Quartermaster Cart
1941 WC12 1941 WC21
1941 MB 1942 GPW
1942 G506 1942 Ben Hur
1943 M3A1 1943 Clark CA-1
1943 USMC Handcart
1944 Ben Hur 1944 Converto
1952 M100

42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 42cargo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:00 am

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, Phil. Things really get amusing when there are two levers for dump operation.

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:40 pm

P...PP....PPP....PENALTY FLAG?

:cry: ..... ( Eyes welling up )...... :cry:

Boy oh Boy that's pretty harsh Phil,

Do you know how many ATTA-BOYS get wiped out by 1 penalty flag? :x I'm not sure either but i bet it's a whole bunch and I only had 1 or 2 of them anyway. Gee wiz i thought it was a great idea and you guys would be lining up to purchase these little beauties. Oh well, you know what they say... you can't un ring a bell, or, take back a penalty flag. So I'm going to keep my "crooked" little PTO shifter and be proud of it :D .
Thanks to you my thread will probably now be placed in some obscure Spam/Ratrod forum by those Jack Booted Moderators. :P
Kelley

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”