1941 Chevy G-4112 restoration

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: 1941 Chevy G-4112 restoration

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:02 am

Hey all,

After I got the helix gear thing sorted out, assembly is relatively strait forward. As per the maintenance manual, assembly starts from the bottom and works upward. It is important to remember which of the bearings use snap rings and which don't. The manual has images for the snap rings but the written description doesn't always mention them. In an attempt to make a leak-free case (if that's really possible with these old gals), it was decided to sleeve all of the yokes. Sleeve vendor recommendations mention using an epoxy putty to flatten the gouge made by the old seal. Fortunately, the sleeve from a 1970's something GM car has the same dimensions as the t-case yokes. These parts were sourced for a very reasonable price. There are many different philosophies in sealing up these gear casings. I use the old tried and true Permatex aviation form-a-gasket with pretty good success. The key is to get everything grease free including all of the threaded holes in the casing. When applying the sealant, I have found that if you aren't making a mess with the stuff, you are applying it heavy enough.

Image of sand blasted yokes with new sleeves being installed with epoxy. The epoxy work time is short so one has to have everything needed close at hand.

Sleeves used and part number. Also pictured is a decent part number for the t-case shifter fork seals.

Image of assembly of bearing retainers. Use plenty of sealant.

Image of back side of the t-case. Note the unique bearing retainer covers on this early model.

Oddly, the first run Chevy case has all of the same parts used in a later (mid 41+) truck with the exception of the two bearing covers shown in the image above. As noted previously, this t-case configuration was also used for the entire run of pole setting trucks that employed the large mid-ship winches. After buttoning the case up, the unit was filled with gear oil and rolled on its sides so that the seals got lubricated.

I called a buddy to help me just to lift the t-case off my work bench down to a dolly. Getting the case out of the shop and on my homemade transmission jack cradle was so easy, we decided to install the assembly on the truck. As luck would have it, we had the t-case bolted in in a very short period of time and effort. I love when that happens!

Hope you enjoy, and more importantly, I hope you all make some time to play with your trucks!

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:43 am

Hi Paul,
Nicely done on the T case and thanks for the sleeve image w/pn.
I have trouble with the oil leaking thru the splines on the transfer flanges. I Gooped them up really well with the Permatex, but they still drip, any thoughts?
Kelley

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:56 am

Good stuff Paul !

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:04 am

Hey guys,
I hope you all learned something from my posts, I have always learned something from the others that share their journeys with this special hobby.

Jon, sealing the splines on the yokes is one area that I have had relative success. Perhaps it is dumb luck, but here is what I do:
1)First clean the heck out of the splines on the shaft and splines on the yoke using a small fine bristle wire brush (about the size of a toothbrush) with plenty of clean kerosene. Scrub every spline the entire length with the persistence of someone with OCD. I get the little brushes from McMaster-Carr, they are great!
2)Blow off all of the kerosene with compressed air and wipe down with a clean rag.
3) Spray a good dose of brake cleaner all over the splines and blow with air again. Allow to completely dry.
4)Prepare/install the flanges on the t-case and have everything ready for installation. As you know, the aviation form-a-gasket stuff has a certain working time consistency so one cant wait forever.
5) Paint a good covering of sealant on both the male and female splines, plus on the shaft threads, and washer.
6) Tighten nut per specs.

With luck, that should seal. If there are still failures, it could be due to excessive slop in the splines enabling movement when torque is applied to the yoke. I suppose the overall gist is to attempt your best at surgical clean room preparation as just a little grease, oil, or kerosene can lead to a poor sealant bond. Making a leak free case on these machines is certainly a challenge.

Well I have to admit that I have done virtually nothing G506 related since I have gotten the t-case back in the truck. Just anxiously waiting for this years joyriding season.

But wait...I have done something with G506 parts, but just not using the truck parts in the traditional way. I have been saving all of the truly scrap residue parts from my trucks as I had a little project in mind but have just never actualized on the idea until recently. Check it out!

My new junkyard guard dog made exclusively (with exception of the old chain) from WW2 G506 pieces and parts. He diligently watches over Audra through night and day. Don't worry guys, I only used parts that were completely useless for the truck. Can you identify all of the pieces? He still needs an appropriate name too.

Hope you all are having fun with the hobby.

Paul

GPW1263
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GPW1263 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:26 am

Kelly, et al...

We are seeing some fine workmanship here from Paul. Very impressive and thank you for sharing.

If the threaded holes in the case are not blind (i.e. they have no closed bottom and the hole goes all the way through the case wall) the typical solution against weeping lubricant is use of a copper crush washer vs. a star washer. I'd recommend reviewing the TM closely to see what that calls for.

Cheers,
TJ

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:24 am

That’s the coolest scariest dog I have ever seen !
Just awesome!! :shock: :o

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:15 am

forestry4evr wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:02 am

Image of sand blasted yokes with new sleeves being installed with epoxy. The epoxy work time is short so one has to have everything needed close at hand.
Hi Paul,

I've been on hiatus from the forums for a little while, but logged in just so I could ask you about the sleeves you showed above. I order a few of them to do my yokes, but was surprised when they did not include an installation tool like the one you show above. Did yours come with the driver shown? The first one I opened appears to be a relatively tight friction fit. These are not quite as wide as the speedi-sleeves that I ordered (and was hoping to return for refund). Any tips on how you installed yours?

Thanks!

P.S. Love the "junkyard dog"!!
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Hey Paul,
My procedure for the transfer flanges was similar to yours, just not as thorough. Thanks for the tutorial.
Great looking Dog! Whats his name.... Rusty?
Kelley

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:56 am

Kirk, the driver came with one of the more expensive speedy-sleeves. They can be reused many times if used carefully.

Thanks on the junkyard dog comments. Surprised no one has tried to ID the parts...I am sure everyone that has dug deep into a G506 has come across most of them. He is all G506. Still haven't decided on a name, our trial name is "Junx" , I like "Rusty" too. We are still open for suggestions.

Yesterday I had to plant a tree where one died and was removed last fall. Audra got to awaken from her winter slumber to facilitate the mission. Not often does a 79 year old truck get pressed into service for a landscaping mission. Felt good to hear the gears whine, and double clutching seemed to come back automatically. While driving Audra the thought of the COVID 19 pandemic completely drifted out of my mind. A great feeling.

Hope you all are staying healthy and that we all weather this event unscathed. Take care of one another.

Paul

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 am

How about Knarles or Knarley ? I mean, obviously!

:lol:

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:08 am

Knarley, I kinda like the sound of that name. Will see.

Took Audra for a longer ride yesterday, to visit the trash/recycling facility and fill fuel cans. It is the longest ride she has gone on since the transfer case rebuild. Seems to be good to go.

Hope you all are doing okay.

Paul

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 am

Hey all,

It has been a long time since my last post. I am not sure how you all adjust your huck brakes after driving the truck for a while, but I have a little story. As you know, this type of brake system does not self adjust so it requires tightening the brake adjusters as the linings wear down. Not too long ago I had the right rear axle torn down and properly adjusted the brakes according to the maintenance manual when reassembling. While on an initial drive, I noticed that the right rear brake drum was cooler than the other drums so I tightened each of the two adjuster bolts 1/2 of one turn. Just a half turn isn't much I thought to myself. As I drove back home, I noticed the truck had an abnormally difficult time pulling one particular grade causing me to downshift to third gear. Typically the truck pulls this hill in 4th gear. I didn't really think much more of the the event thinking that perhaps I just didn't get enough of a running start before approaching the hill. When I got home, I touched the right rear brake drum and it was very hot...too hot to touch! I suppose the lessen learned here is to be mindful of the amount of adjustment one is changing as just a little tightening can go a long way. Also, your truck won't pull hills as well if you have one of the brakes on!

As a normal routine, I make a habit of checking the brake drum temperatures either by hand or using a infrared thermometer every time I get back home from a drive or immediately before descending a long steep grade. This little check helps monitor brake adjustment for this type of system. Now I will keep in mind that too much isn't necessarily a good thing!

Okay, enough of the blah, blah.... Here is a short clip of Audra yesterday as I was coming home from a parts run. The summer day was way to beautiful to run straight home so we took a little joyride diversion on some back roads. In the video, the truck is pulling a particularly steep little hill requiring coming down to third gear and keeping her screaming a little bit. The sound that a convoy of many of these old trucks together certainly must had been a memorable event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ZALQP ... e=youtu.be

Hope you all take some time to play with your trucks, and that you are still being successful in avoiding this pesky virus.

Paul

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Nice hearing Audra roar there, Paul.

Reminds me of Olive (oh these names ! 😝) when we were coming back from the MV show last year (twice). One particular river canyon, especially coming back home required me holding third for about a mile and a half, 1000 vertical feet (maybe a little less :wink:), and thirteen twisty turns. Maintaining 25 mph seemed to be just about right. At first I was thinking man, how’s this gonna go, but I just held her right there at 25, roaring all the way up the hill. No big whoop ! Even ran better after that ! I think my foot got heavier after that too. :mrgreen:

Take care guy

Tony

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:43 pm

That video is great Pab. Both you and Tony really make me want to get Emma on the road even sooner !! Love sound of the gears whining away, nothing else in the world makes that sound!!
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:40 am

Thanks for the comments gentlemen.

At first I was a bit timid with holding the engine at a higher revolutions for long elevation climbs, but I noticed that engine temperature does not rise so it appears to be all good. Actually I think these old engines prefer to run tached up more so than lugged at low RPM. My diagnostic tachometer helped me tune my ears to know what approximately 3500 RPM's sounds like while driving plus the functioning governor keeps me honest. To a true gearhead, the combination of sounds from the engine, helical gears and straight gears running together sound like musical instruments in an symphony!

I hope you all make some time to play with your trucks...life is short!

Paul

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”