1941 Chevy G-4112 restoration

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
42cargo
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: G-4112 restoration

Post by 42cargo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:15 am

Looks great, Paul.

Do you have the top bow hardware?

John

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:34 am

Muy Bueno ! !

Paul. Truck looks great, man. Can you show me how the seats set up ?

Roberto Amboni
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Roberto Amboni » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:45 pm

Paul , the work is very good.
Thanks for sharing images .
They will be important for us that we are restoring .

Regards.

Roberto
Roberto Amboni
Jeep Willys MB 1942 http://www.willysmb.com.br
Bantam T3 1945
Chevrolet G-4112 1 1/2 ton 1941
Criciuma - SC
Brasil

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:31 am

Thank you for the kind words, they mean a great deal to me. Few people understand the effort that goes into restoring an old vehicle.

So far my border collie seems to think the Chevy is hers as she lays under or near it most of the time. She hasn't gone for a ride yet, but she keeps hinting that the time is soon. Funny how some dogs love to go cruising.

No top bows for me as my storage areas will not support that high of a vehicle.

I will snap some images of the troop seat function in the near future. It is a very clean and efficient design. I am sure Jon could whip up the metal work in his shop in no time.

I hope you all had some quality time with your projects this past weekend.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

Robbby84
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Robbby84 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:43 am

Very nice looking truck!
Roberto
MVPA member # 33448

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:35 am

Tonywan Kanobby wrote:Muy Bueno ! !

Paul. Truck looks great, man. Can you show me how the seats set up ?
Tony,

As requested. I believe the basic design on my troop seats is similar on many other vehicles of similar vintage. The design is super simple but pretty well engineered.

Image of troop seats in the closed position. Notice that there is a small ~11ga catch mechanism that holds the seats up (upper left hand corner of the image). There is a catch on both the front and back of each seat section.

Image of seat hinge. This portion of the troop seat uprights and seat are hinged with a simple clevis pin (~3/8x1 1/2)

Image of troop seat leg hinge. This hinged portion pivots on a garden variety cap screw/lock washer/nut. When properly torqued, the leg will fall into place as the troop seat section is lowered.

Image of troop seat lowered for use. Notice that the legs support the seat by being trapped into the bed side/floor corner.

The assemblies seemed very sloppy when they were being assembled but once everything was fastened the structure is very solid.

Next is the construction of a suitable bed entrance ladder as few of my contemporaries are able to get into the bed by use of the tailgate foot loops as originally designed for a 20 something year old man.

Paul

motto
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by motto » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Paul, very nice job on the troop seats.There is a lot of work in rebuilding them.
I would take it that the same story applies as with the G508 seats in that both seat assemblies on the truck are symmetrical and interchangeable left to right.

David

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:26 pm

Looks great Paul,
Your work is a good as it gets,... But... I can't help but feel that the troop seats just by nature of there design must rattle like crazy going down the road. Is there some way to keep them quiet?
Jon
Kelley

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:47 pm

Cool Paul.

Thanks for showing the seats. Good set up. And Kelley, the troop seats stop rattling when you load up the troops, I'd bet. :lol:

But where's the "lumbar" support ? I'm joking about that of course, but there does seem to be a rather large gap between the seat and the back support. Sit straight men !! We don't want to lose you on the way. :x

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:53 pm

I have not noticed any rattling from behind, I think if everything is the right tightness it all just hangs along for the ride. No paint wear patterns have become evident anyway. I suppose time will tell.

Lumbar support...dude you are property of the US Government, no longer in your momma's house! I would have to say after riding in those troop seats for hours, your ability to kill is greatly enhanced. Perhaps it was some form of psychological conditioning, kind of like heavy metal in its day!? I think they will work adequately for parades and hayrides though.

motto
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by motto » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:53 pm

I've learned from experience that the most likely way of injuring a passenger riding in the back on this style of troop seat is if the truck lurches from side to side. All it took was to drive through a gutter at a slight angle. I had a full load of passengers and a couple of them were thrown to the floor in the middle of the truck where there was a set of ramps for vehicle loading. This resulted in damage to shins. I now advise passengers too turn to one side and hook an arm over the backrest if there is any chance of unexpected vehicle movement. Simple but effective. Of course, common sense must apply if there is any possibility of snagging a limb.
I submit this post in the light of the recent death of an HMV enthusiast riding on a vehicle. Accidents do happen and a little knowledge can make all the difference.

David

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:27 am

I already have some trepidation with carrying passengers...David your story tells why I should be leery. The problem is that everyone that I come across wants to go for a ride.

As I am transitioning from rebuilding to enjoying my truck, the idea of making a container to hold simple roadside repair items such as tire tools, fluids, and general repair tools seemed to be a good idea. My intent was to create some relatively portable "crates" that mimicked those of WW2 containers. I used white pine lumber as that species seems to be the most commonly used on period crating. Admittedly, period correct crates were not edge joined, glued together with polyurethane glue and painted with linseed oil but hopefully the presentation looks better than a plastic crate.

Image of contents for the "tool" box. I got my mother-in-law to make me the cool little tool bags to keep contents from rattling. The ammo can contains basic wrenches, ratchets, pliers, and drivers.

Image of tools inside crate. There is still plenty of room for other items I have not considered.

Image of both boxes in place. The second box was designed to carry a 2 1/2 gallon gas can, antifreeze, gear oil, and motor oil containers.

So what do you guys carry along to help you keep you antique moving along? Is there items I will likely need when taking the old girl out to shows? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Paul

40 Chevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by 40 Chevy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:34 am

Paul;
I belive you need to add your WWII first aid box, TM maintenace manuals, bailing wire, sticky engineers tape, wheel bearing socket. Would not want the "Jeep Police" to ding you...

John G

nice job on the boxes
1940 G4112
1942 G509 969A
1942 G116 series 2
1944 G116 series 5
1942 Sterling HC 165 tractor
1944 Autocar U7144T

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:58 am

2 things i can think of....
-Triple A card
-Cell phone
Those boxes are really nice and look great in the back of your truck.
You should stencil something on the sides of the grates like "Hand Grenades" or "Ammo" and Skull and cross bones on the ends.
Kelley

Tonywan Kanobby
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:10 am

Nice crates there. It's making me think about building a similar one. I have a Vietnam era mortar shell crate that looks very similar to what you built. My plan for inside my panel was to build a bunk on the driver's side that of course would hinge and provide storage for necessities. The addition of containers like what you have built Paul, would be really cool.

On the subject of passengers riding in MV's. Recently there was an accident in my region where a man was killed riding on a tracked vehicle http://www.kcra.com/news/adult-dies-aft ... d/34864636 That's so sad. I see one of the vehicles in the story's photo was one that I took a picture of last spring when I was at the Tower MV show. I'll be going later this month to the fall show. Maybe I'll learn more about the incident.

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”