Worlds 3rd slowest build thread

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
hopps1945
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Worlds 3rd slowest build thread

Post by hopps1945 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:17 pm

Things are looking good! Thanks for the invite and letting me hang out with you and your dad today! You are making good progress! Making me want to dig my truck out and get going on it!

Nick

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Nick Hopper
3/12/45 MB425051
My project: http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=221276
MVPA#36164
https://aamfgcw.com

Swbs540stale
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Swbs540stale » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:18 pm

Well this weekend proved productive! I was blessed by the presence of Nick Hopper on Saturday. The master behind All American Mfg&Canvas Works. It was a refreshing surge to visit with a fellow G506 owner in my own backyard. Thanks for the help and conversation Nick!

I began by draining the oil from both transmissions, although one was more full of water than oil! Here is what came out of the rolling chassis one.Image
Opened up both transmissions and the one with water didn’t look half bad. After running them through the parts washer they looked just fine. First pic was the one full of water. Image
I tore the one down and replaced the output seal. The one out of my ZP ended up having a PTO I’ve never heard of! Detroit harvester company? Image
Hopefully one of my other trucks have a correct PTO. Waiting on the gasket set now. Image
After that I finished replacing Ujoints and slip joint seals. Only waiting on one Ujoint. Removed the radiator and support, the bottom was very badly rusted. Finished up the weekend removing the grill and beginning to get the front tin work removed off the ZP. Image
And I got a helper at the end of the day! Image
Thanks for looking and thank you everyone for your supportive comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donn Buck
1941 ZP G4152
1948 CJ-2A

hopps1945

Post by hopps1945 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:32 pm

Moving along! For how much water came out of the transmission Inwas actually surprised to see it wasn't that bad inside!

Got thinking after I left, when did they transition from the parking brakes in the rear axle to the transfer case? Brian's truck was an early civilian cab truck and it had the parking brake in the rear axle and so does that early parts truck I have.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Nick Hopper
3/12/45 MB425051
My project: http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=221276
MVPA#36164
https://aamfgcw.com

Swbs540stale
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Swbs540stale » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:38 pm

To my knowledge YP model trucks (1940) had the parking brake on the rear brakes. My ZP model truck (1941) has the transfer case mounted parking brake. So the transition was sometime between them.

Donn Buck
1941 ZP G4152
1948 CJ-2A

Hammerhead
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hammerhead » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:36 am

Donn you're doing great work! It will be worth all the attention to detail when you are finished. Thanks for all the pictures posted.
1943 White M-3 Halftrack, 1944 CCKW 353, 1945 MB, 1944 Bantam T3,
1945 Ben-Hur 1-ton trailer, MVPA 12610, NRA Life Member

Swbs540stale
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Swbs540stale » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:34 pm

Thanks Hammer! It’s been about 1 year since I purchased my first G506. I’ve got a long way to go!

Hey everyone,

Another status report and photo dump. I did fetch a correct PTO, hoist driveline and control lever assembly from my other dump truck. PTO needs some bearings so I’ll be trying to source those and reseal it over the next few weeks/months.

I had a work buddy over today and made some pretty good progress. Started by pulling the ‘49 engine out of the chassis I’m reconditioning. I opted to pull the engine separately from the bell housing to the trans could be reinstalled. Figured it would be easier to recondition the front axle with the engine out of the way. As that is the last component to go through before I can get her out for blasting and paint! Image

My daughter was a huge help! After that the front fenders and tin work were removed from the ZP…I think more bolts and screws broke off than came out! Body work is going to be my nemesis, I can feel it now! Image

This engine is the ‘54 and I plan on using this one for the current build. I’ll put some early parts on the outside to fool a few lookers but it won’t pass an enthusiast’s eyes. The insert bearings and upgraded oil system for reliability seem worth the trade off. We proceeded to get the engine out of the truck.

Something interesting I noticed on the ZP model truck is the fuel filter bracket still located in the engine bay but the fuel filter is actually located under the sidestep as on late model trucks. See the bracket in the below picture.Image

I did manage to get the reconditioned transmission reinstalled. All bearings, gears and shift tower linkage were in surprising good condition. Just a reseal job. Reconditioned driveline got in there too.Image

got the ‘49 tucked in the corner (next to my L134 project) for parts and called it a day! Image
Here are a few pictures of the chassis as it is now Image
I’m not very good at taking photos when I’m in the process of working. I’m trying to do a better job of taking pictures to document the process. Unfortunately pulling out my phone to snap pictures is not at the front of my thoughts haha. Thanks for looking everyone!

Donn Buck
1941 ZP G4152
1948 CJ-2A

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:50 am

Donn,
You are making good progress. Your trucks frame looks to be in very good condition. Make certain to carefully inspect the rivets fastening the transfercase crossmember to the frame rails as they seem to fail at a higher frequency than other rivets. Its much easier to address them when the body is off.

You can install most all of the original external parts on your 1954 engine so that it will look original to 99.99% of the people that will ever peer under the hood. You are fortunate to have that year engine.

The rear axle parking brake was used exclusively on the the YP model trucks. Additionally, it was used on all versions of the pole setting trucks due to the midship winch configuration.

Quick trivia...one can immediately tell if a truck is either a YP, ZP, or N series production truck by simply looking at the passenger side running board due to the placement of the fuel filter.

I love to see that your daughters are taking interest in your project...hopefully they will be double clutching in the future.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

BTW, what happened to spell check on this forum??? I hope I got all of my typos!

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”