Chev paint colors

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Hanselandgretel
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Chev paint colors

Post by Hanselandgretel » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:16 pm

I'm working on an engine for G506 and want to know what colors are used on engine accessories such as generator, generator bracket and belt tensioner, starter, radiator, fan shroud, fan blade, oil breather, oil filter, distributor, carb, and anything else that is not OD or Chev "engine blue". Gloss, flat, or semi gloss also?

I think bell housing is engine color also and tranny is OD, correct?

Where can I find that info? Most of my books and manuals are black and white!

Thanks

Al Hansel

507-528-2780

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Chev paint colors

Post by forestry4evr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:37 am

Hi Al,

You have opened up a potentially controversial subject and may get several "correct" answers. Unfortunately the answer also to some degree depends on the time of the war as there was some variances in paint color usage. As for determining colors from black and white images, the shade of the gray can provide some information. Painted true NOS parts will also provide information. Old original parts carefully degreased will reveal some color info as well. Engines were a blue-gray on early trucks but more just gray on 1942 and later engines...the same as the changes in color on similar year civilian trucks. The blue-gray color can be found at antique vehicle vendors, a close match for the later gray is the common "Ford engine" gray found at any auto parts place. Below is what I researched and determined to be the correct paint colors for my early 1941 YP truck.

Early Chevy paint colors.

A degreased original 1942 BV 235 engine, note this one even has the yellow "leak indicator" paint at the distributor and oil dip stick locations.

A 1942 BV engine valve cover with remnants of original paint and some new "ford gray" engine paint.

Original early 1942 oil filter.

Hope this helps!

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed
1942 G506 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

Joe Gopan
Gee Addict

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:54 am

If original General Motors WWII OD were available, many would not be impressed by the finish.Wartime OD used on different make trucks was not always the same. The paint job is the icing on the cake and may not look right after it is applied. It looks just right for me, but it takes a while for many to get used to. There are still some packaged OEM GM parts that have retained their WWII finish.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Joe Gopan
Gee Addict

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:11 am

What I am trying to say is that the original WWII Lusterless OD may not be to your liking and that you may find that another currently available popular brands of Lusterless OD may be more appealing to you.
It kind of boils down to personal preference.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:21 pm

I really like the look of your engine Paul, it looks right. Also it makes sense because all of the components that are attached to the engine its' self "should" be black, just as how you've painted yours. The colors scheme is plain, simple and to the point, which is "this is a military truck and its' life expectancy in a combat zone is less than 2 weeks, so don't go overboard with an extravagant paint job".
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.

M35a2duece
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by M35a2duece » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:58 pm

forestry4evr wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:37 am
Hi Al,

You have opened up a potentially controversial subject and may get several "correct" answers. Unfortunately the answer also to some degree depends on the time of the war as there was some variances in paint color usage. As for determining colors from black and white images, the shade of the gray can provide some information. Painted true NOS parts will also provide information. Old original parts carefully degreased will reveal some color info as well. Engines were a blue-gray on early trucks but more just gray on 1942 and later engines...the same as the changes in color on similar year civilian trucks. The blue-gray color can be found at antique vehicle vendors, a close match for the later gray is the common "Ford engine" gray found at any auto parts place. Below is what I researched and determined to be the correct paint colors for my early 1941 YP truck.

Early Chevy paint colors.

A degreased original 1942 BV 235 engine, note this one even has the yellow "leak indicator" paint at the distributor and oil dip stick locations.

A 1942 BV engine valve cover with remnants of original paint and some new "ford gray" engine paint.

Original early 1942 oil filter.

Hope this helps!

Paul
Is the nicer looking gray engine you have a picture of a full pressure 235? I notice the pushrod tin on the side of the block appears to only go part way up like those full pressure engines. If so, it appears you are running the deep original dipper motor oil pan. Just curious how you did this if that was the case. Cut out dipper troughs and extend pickup tube somehow?

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:39 am

Since the original poster of this topic has gone dormant, I suppose a hijack from the original subject is okay.

It continually amazes me how people pick up even the finest details in an image...

The freshly painted engine is a 1954 235 from a civilian Chevy truck. There was a very brief period (1954 to somewhere mid 1955), that the insert bearing 235 shared the oil pan bolt pattern with the earlier babbit bearing engines. A one year 1953 car 235 with hydraulic lifters is also included in this narrow period of parts interchangeability. Engines from mid 1955- 1962 can and do fit into G506 trucks with minimal alterations, but the oil pans are different than on the babbit engines and the oddball insert bearing engines described above. The guts were stripped from the original oil pan and the oil pickup tube from a military BV engine were fitted to the 1954 block.
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed
1942 G506 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

M35a2duece
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by M35a2duece » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:00 pm

forestry4evr wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:39 am
Since the original poster of this topic has gone dormant, I suppose a hijack from the original subject is okay.

It continually amazes me how people pick up even the finest details in an image...

The freshly painted engine is a 1954 235 from a civilian Chevy truck. There was a very brief period (1954 to somewhere mid 1955), that the insert bearing 235 shared the oil pan bolt pattern with the earlier babbit bearing engines. A one year 1953 car 235 with hydraulic lifters is also included in this narrow period of parts interchangeability. Engines from mid 1955- 1962 can and do fit into G506 trucks with minimal alterations, but the oil pans are different than on the babbit engines and the oddball insert bearing engines described above. The guts were stripped from the original oil pan and the oil pickup tube from a military BV engine were fitted to the 1954 block.
Thank you!

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”