SNL G506, Truck 1.5 Ton 4x4, unit 389946, 1 ea.

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Re: SNL G506, Truck 1.5 Ton 4x4, unit 389946, 1 ea.

Post by pintelhook11over » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Bravo Zulu!

Your War Horse Is coming along great!

I like the Invasion star pattern! I noticed a lot of little differences too. Differences such as the hard line for the brake vacuum, the hood ground straps, you still have red paint on the regulator cover and the inline check valve for the brake booster air is different configuration. I was noticing also the seam on the left front of the bed, is the bed a wood/metal bed? I had heard D.R.H. say some are a "knock Down" or Composite beds that can be disassembled/assembled. Where was your truck built? I was poking around the internet and saw that David Doyle's G506 book is suposed to be coming out soon! I can't wait to get that as a reference book!

Did you find any evidence of a star on the hood or the top of the cab? Couldn't find any stars in those locations on my truck.

That "oversize dolly" technique works really good, The cab isn't too heavy, but it is bulky and being able to pivot forward is good for hard to reach areas for sure!

Thank you for the images, I would have made two errors making the straps. I would have done the riveting wrong by using different rivets and I would have made the end of the leather with the holes wrong. I was gonna make them with a radius type end instead of a tapered end. It is nice that the metal end is the same shape after all these years. I guess sometimes the government does leave well enough alone sometimes, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

As for the exhaust on my truck it is incomplete, it stops at the exit of the muffler, Still got to run it to the rear of the mudflap with the little angle iron brackets and "P" clips. I didn't have much exhaust to copy, there was only 2 foot of exhaust that stopped at the fire wall when I got the truck. All the exhaust shops I showed the piece to said that was a "Mandrel bent" header tube. Nobody I spoke to could bent up a larger radius curve like that.

I would be curious how you ran your exhaust to the mud flap too...is the diameter 2 1/4 or a different size?
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Field SVC/GPS installer
Cat Main shop Mech

zippog506
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by zippog506 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:31 am

Hello, made my day that the pics helped you with your strap project. The cart was such a improvement over what I had my cab on before, and no pivot point. Made it easy to stand on end, which made it easier to blast and paint. You should patent it! My truck was built in Atlanta, the D.O.D. was 7/27/44, 5 weeks before me.{ I always liked slightly older gals }. It is a composite bed, a 12/44 bed that I got from Clel Ballard in Idaho. The truck came with a dump box on it, but was originally built as a cargo truck non winch, so I was pretty fortunate in getting a close dated replacement. It needed stake pockets on the front and sides, and tailgate. Thanks to Tom at V.O.V. That is where I originally found my truck advertised for sale. In fact, the truck was originally a east coast truck, and shipped to Washington by the father of the guy whom I purchased it from. Looking forward to the Doyle book also. Have you seen the Tankograd series No.6038 book on the G506. Lots of info for a 50 page book. Lots of pictures. The original hood was in bad shape, had been repainted, so lost any originality. I found a good hood with the numbers in blue underneath, but no star, so I kept the numbers on the hood 3377324. Maybe when the new book comes out, it will have some info on hood numbers. { i hope } . I got my exhaust from V.O.V. also, I recall it being 2". My original was like yours, right out of the muffler. Had to fabricate that angle iron bracket behind the muffler, couldn't find one anywhere. Tailpipe crawls up inside of the front flap, nice fit actually. D.R.H. says I should post pictures even though its not current build. Maybe they will help someone in the future, as all the postings on here have sure helped me. I'll bet you never thought anyone would copy your oversize dolly, Huh. Well, its those little things. Thank you for your reply, it means alot. Really. Respectfully, Dave.

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Hello Everyone, I got to tinkering with my canvas so I figured I could pass the word on deploying canvas and working with the bow corner straps.

I had seen the Equipment Operators in my old Battalion deploy the canvas on M35/M939 trucks quite a bit. I never really had to drive truck and deploy canvas so this is kinda a new evolution to me, I usually ended up being one of the troopers that climbed in the back for movement. I recall seeing them roll it across the top of the bows and drape it down the sides, then roll up the sides sometimes. Most of the time the sides were down, but if it was hot outside the sides down makes it Really hot inside after a while. Different trucks, but same general design.

Be advised: If you scrounge some bow corners up keep an eye out for missing captured nuts! I didn't realize that I had 3 bad bow corners.

The captured nuts had fallen off the 3 corners, so now I have to install a bolt/nut/jam-nut to retain the strap assembly to the bow corner. The straps I had are cotton 1 inch webbing, incorrect for WW2, but they will function until I find the correct straps. I couldn't find the correct rivets for securing the leather to the D-ring mounts either. I figured I could modify these straps I ordered from Memphis truck parts. I got some small grommets, a punch tool, a grommet squisher tool from Hobby Lobby and went to town. I went with some epoxy to resist fraying of the webbing under the grommets too.

When the tarp is deployed I folded it up and over inboard until the crease is even with the leather buckle reinforcements, then I roll it outboard until it passes the buckles and roll/fold under the leather buckle reinforcements. I then centered the tarp buckles on the bow corners to make it as square/ even as possible. I then mounted the straps pointing upward to make up for the shorter than WW2 length. Next, I ran the straps through the buckle hardware and pulled out the excess strap. After these steps measured the straps to find the average length to the D ring mount was approx. 7 inches. I then re-stowed the canvas in reverse order of assembly.

I then punched the holes in the straps, I used a new hole punch and a plastic cutting board to make clean cut holes. I matched up the diameter of the grommet as close as I could. They turned out decent, but I haven't re-deployed the tarp yet to see if my holes will work...

Be careful lifting up the tarp, It is kinda heavy, It weighs 40-ish pounds so if you flop it on the wood bows it may break a bow! I felt them flex some when I rested the weight on 1 bow only. I think the front and rear ends are a rough thing to deal with. They hang over the end bows a bit, so I will have to figure out a way to secure them to the bows with the ropes.

One thing that I was wondering about is the underside of the tarp...There are extra strips of canvas where the bows touch. Are those for wear strips or are they a slot/tube for the bows to slide into? It looks like they will allow a top section of the bow to slide in them. I kinda see them as a "rubbing wear" item, but that was a new item to me.

If anybody has any pointers or ideas for this pass the word, I don't think it will fall off during movement since it will have the buckles, but I haven't tried it yet either. I'm not sure if it will "flap" like this, but I'll have to test drive it to be sure.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:57 pm

Hello, finally getting around to documenting a few maintenance items...

I had been getting worried about metal generation in the Trans. These non-synchronized sliding gear transmissions are pretty tough, but they can make metal with normal operation. I have a "practice" trans in the truck right now. My original 4 speed has a broken corner brace hole and a broke off bell housing ear on the upper right which is sad because the internal condition is very good. I will have to swap the gears and shaft guts into the later housing to have a serviceable trans. Which leads me to the part that concerns me, I have only 1 PTO. If i wipe out my PTO I don't have a replacement. So why did I bring this up? Well, I am using the low tech magnet system to catch the metal floating around in the oil. The fine metal debris seems to collect in the lower PTO sump, so I figured I could "catch" a fair amount of the flakes in the oil during operation as the oil is slushing around the trans gears itself. A trans oil magnet is nothing new, I just figured I could show you how I was pulling it off. A magnetic drain plug is another option. I couldn't find a mag plug at any old auto parts store so I did it like this:

I got a $20.00 200 Lb (90 Kilo) magnet from a local tool vendor and stuck it to the Bottom of the trans case floor so when I had the plug out I could sweep out the floor with a small pocket retrieval magnet and it wouldn't collect in the PTO sump as much. It isn't a 5 minute job to pull the PTO and re-install it with the backlash adjusting gaskets.

The other maintenance item I performed was adding oil to the series III Hydrovac. I scrounged an old Ordinance Maitenance "Power Brake Systems" Bendix BK TM 9-8651/ TO 36Y7-1-172 from 1956 from Faxon auto literature and It says:

"Painting, Lubrication, and Storage: The Hydrovac must be lubricated every 10,000 or 6 months whichever occurs first to prevent the drying of the vacuum piston packing and resultant failure of the unit." It says later to pull the rear plug, inject 2 ounces (58.8 cc) of light lubricating oil (LO), and re-insert the plug with a "Liquid type gasket cement". That squirting in oil part seemed easy, It was just trying to squirt in the correct oil I was worried about...Light lubricating oil, That could be alot of different oils if you ask me.

When you refer to the TM 10-1557 for the G506 single cylinder It says,

"The Hydrovac power cylinder should be lubricated every 20,000 miles or after 6 months' service (which ever occurs first) with Bendix BK Vacuum cylinder oil. Remove the pipe plug from the rear end of the power cylinder and inject 1/2 (14.7 cc) ounce of BK Vacuum Cylinder Oil; then replace the pipe plug."

Kinda confusing if you ask me, I looked around a bit for an equivalent oil, everybody I asked didn't know. I ended up using 1/2 ounce (14.7 cc) of Neats Foot oil since that oil is for leather use. Shortly there after I was cycling the brake pedal to get the oil around the power cylinder and I noticed a brake fluid leak! I tightened up the R/R wheel cylinder line and the leak ceased, but I kinda attribute that to the Hydrovac starting to work better now that it was sealing up better with the oil in the cansiter.

So far she is still operating normally, I just got froggy and operated her on a 140 mile road trip to the Pacific coast. Started in Chino, Ca to San Pedro, Ca on surface streets... I kinda got a bit of clutch-itis with all the signals, but it was a good trip! No failures, No mishaps. Only one stall at a signal that was a bit spooky trying to restart her. She was rolling over slow, kinda like a vapor lock or low battery. 2nd try holding the start button and she lit off again! I was back in buisness and rolling home again! Guages looked normal the whole way.

One more little tidbit is I used the old War Horse to yank out a dead tree that fell over in the front yard. I chopped off most of the limbs the wrapped the lead chain around the trunk and yanked it out pretty easy! I need to tighten the drag band of the cable drum, I started pulling it out and the cable turned into a big rats nest! It took me longer to re-spool the cable than it did pulling out the tree. I only have a half of a cable drum, but I figured it was within its operational range to pull the tree straight line pull without a snatch block.

Use caution during winching operations! I oiled up my dogs,fairlead oil holes, dog linkage and kept my hands clear of moving items. The winch "Reverse" is opposite of pull, It pays out cable. The other positions are Low and High line speeds pulling in towards the truck.

There is a quick film at the end, It wouldn't pull it out at an idle, I had to pull the throttle on the dash and then let her work!

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CP_AZY ... e=youtu.be
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

johnwaz
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by johnwaz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:45 am

It's always cool to see these old workhorses... working.

Tonywan Kanobby
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Tonywan Kanobby » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 pm

No doubt about it. A real treat to see your rig in action. :D

zippog506
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by zippog506 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:28 am

Cody, I was surfing the net last night and found the metal brackets you need for your leather straps, also the leather straps, but the straps don't quite look right for your need. They are repops from Midwest Military, and John Bizal. His metal fab guy is good, I personally have some of his work and it is top quality. Don't know how to send you the pictures from the site, or I would have. I actually found them on the CCKW ebay site, but I'm sure they are on his Midwest Military site. Hope they can help you, your new canvas sure does fit well. Looks very good. Dave.

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 am

Hello ZippoG506, I found those hardware's on the later straps, I'll run them until the straps get frayed/worn. Thanks for the heads up though. Then I'll experiment with making the leather straps with the old hardware.

I was experimenting with off the shelf exhaust parts, but I ran the rear wrong.

I got to looking at photos in David Doyle's new book and saw the error in routing. The exhaust still functions, but I need to re-route it on the outboard side of the frame.

I'll post picture when I get a chance. I been very busy with wrenching and when I get home I don't have much computer play time...
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

pintelhook11over
G-Major
G-Major

Post by pintelhook11over » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Finally got a few minutes to post some exhaust photos with some other "On Duty" photos.

I got to experimenting with off the shelf tubing to try and route the exhaust to the Left-Rear/Front mud flap scallop, the bend around that area is quite the "Dog leg" to deal with. I had no original pipe in the rear to copy so it was a shoot from the hip evolution. After I ran the experimental pipe, I looked at the new David Doyle G506 book and saw I examples of tubing bent outboard and up to the left front fender...Hind site is always 20/20!

It was still just a attempt to use off the shelf parts at common auto vendors in the area (AutoZone, O'reilly's, Napa) with straight 16 inch, 24 inch and 90 degree pre-bent elbows and some flex pipe with u-clamps. I gotta find some more elbows and route it outboard to the flap. It is much quieter in the cab with the exhaust exiting away from the cab now. Took a few pictures on the way back to the shop. I installed the additional pipe in a Field Ops after I gathered up the parts behind the store...I did the tube cut downs at home with a cut off wheel.

The photos are kinda fuzzy, I smudged my camera lens and didn't realize it until I viewed them with the computer. I had already made the temporary exhaust from the manifolds out of 2 inch flex pipe and straight pipe a few years ago. The muffler inlet is 2 inch, the outlet is 1 3/4 inch.

I used 1 3/4 inch pipe, one 24 inch into the outlet of the muffler through the 2 hangers, used a 90 degree elbow to go vertical towards the bed, cut down a straight pipe to join another elbow and twist the elbow to the mud flap, used the flex pipe to make the bend around the toolbox and mud flap, and then used a straight section to go through the clap that was originally on the mud flap.

The flex pipe is about 1 inch from the spare tire and touching the tool box to stay as far away from the tire as possible. I still am holding off on paying a muffler shop a couple hundred bucks to make a system that they wont really understand how to make correct. My thought is if i can make a visual route for them to copy they can say "Oh yeah, I can do that."

As for the Duty day, I had the most important load the truck has carried since I've owned it. I had 17 little horse riding student troopers and 3 parents on the troop seats in the Norco Horse week Parade!

I would pass the word to the young riders that In April 1942 the Army finally let it last 500 horses out to pasture and went to all Mechanized troop transport in Old War horses like this one! They all said "Whoah...this is old". They all liked rolling in the old G506! I also made a 2x8 wood ladder for ingress/egress into the cargo bed. I borrowed a 1970's M35 series aluminum ladder to get a sample to roughly copy.

After the parade I made a local car show called the "Corn feed Run" car show.
Of this years record vehicle attendance 889 cars a MVCC friend Rich's M151 Mutt and myself were the only Military vehicles in the show!

I kinda felt like we were the MP's/Shore Patrol keeping any eye out for rowdy troopers that were causing a ruckus while we were on the cruising strip!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1942 G7117 No. 389946
1945 G527 Serial no.9218
USN CM3 NMCB "4"
Cat Main shop Mech

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:28 pm

All right Jonesy!! Looks like last Saturday was a blast. It's nice to see your truck out on the asphalt stretching her legs.....
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.

zippog506
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by zippog506 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:34 pm

pintelhook11over,

Hi again , I was looking at your exhaust pictures, and the 2 holes at a 45 degree angle are in picture #9 The second hole is just barely visible in the shot
That is where the exhaust crosses under the frame and goes up the outside of the frame to the mudflap. The angle iron frame bracket that I had to fabricate actually bolts to the frame in front of the spare tire mount, and behind the muffler. Should show this in the forthcoming pictures. Hope this is not redundant.

Dave.

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”