HT Clutch / Transmission

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

Tracktrucken
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

HT Clutch / Transmission

Post by Tracktrucken » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:12 pm

I have a question on the halftrack clutch and transmission. When the clutch pedal is fully pressed in should transmission come to a stop to allow to go in or is it common to drag a gear to stop the transmission then allowing the gear to shift in. Transmission is properly adjusted with proper pedal play. Need your thoughts.
Greg

8683jb
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: HT Clutch / Transmission

Post by 8683jb » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:44 pm

When my transmission is cold, I can let the engine warm up with the trans in neutral and when it's ready to go, I depress the clutch and it will go into gear smoothly. But after the transmission gets to operating temp, if I leave it in neutral and then depress the clutch to put it in gear, the gears will clash. I assume the thinner hot oil allows the gears to coast where the cold oil does not.
'42 Autocar M2A1 Half-track
'41 G518 Nash Kelvinator Ben Hur Trailer

MVPA member

Tracktrucken
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: HT Clutch / Transmission

Post by Tracktrucken » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:49 pm

I'm starting to learn when I begin to start, I put it into gear first then into neutral. After that I can start putting it into gear and travel. But when I stop put into neutral clutch out try to go back into gear it drags the transmission to stop it to put into gear or shut off the engine put into gear and restart engine. Halftracks do not have a transmission break on the throw out bearing. So I'm just wondering if this topic has ever come up befor. Later

Return to “Tracked”