T16 Universal Carrier Price Range

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

shaggyax1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
T16 Universal Carrier Price Range

Post by shaggyax1 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:13 pm

What is the price range for a restored T16 these days? Thanks

judyronM
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: T16 Universal Carrier Price Range

Post by judyronM » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Sold this one 2 years ago, 28K. Not many in the US to go by. Very dangerous to operate on pavement, just like driving on solid ice.

Ron McAfee
Attachments
image000001.jpg

judyronM

Post by judyronM » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:50 pm

US Army never used them in the war because of the righthand drive (some said a few were used in the Pacific but no one has any pictures). What you find in the states were Swedish returns. Mine was but wanted it WW2 configuration. Just be ready for a lot of sheet metal work to take it back to the war version fuel tanks, rear seats, rear storage boxes. Parts are very scarce. Very fun to drive as long as you are not on pavement. Tracks are an issue also unless you have a source in Europe. Get one if you want a challenge.

Ron M.

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Austringer » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:07 am

I used to always want one, until i drove one. They are fun, but as the previous poster stated, driving on pavement or concrete is like driving on ice. Also, for a tracked vehicle, the one I drove at least, was pretty rough and clunky. Cool vehicle, but not on my bucket list.
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

napavalleyartillery
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by napavalleyartillery » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:58 am

I've had one for maybe 30 years and never found it to be all that difficult to handle on pavement. Maybe I should drive faster... Will say that at speed the motion is interesting, always reminds me of a boat which can only rock forward and back, but not side to side.

Seems to me to be the ideal tracked armor: small, light and will hold quite a few passengers. YMMV

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Austringer » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:24 am

I will say, T16s are a lot of fun, just when it's someone else's and you don't have to pay for it or maintain it. lol. Just like the fully restored GPA I had for about a year, which belonged go a close friend who moved to the coast. It was fun but made me realize, I never want to own one.
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

circle-engines
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by circle-engines » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:04 pm

I remind all that the Universal Carrier / T16 class of vehicles is one of the most desirable pieces of small armor available. The are easy to move and to store and not beyond the skill range of the home restorer. Also fun to drive if you have short legs! I note that a rough but running, Canadian UC sold in LA just a few weeks back for US48K. (BAT on line auction) Another restored T16 sold out of Texas some years back for around 50K. I would say T16s (like everything) have escalated in value considerable in the past couple of years.

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:05 pm

One of the nice things about the British and Canadian carriers is the way they can feature lots of interesting weapons and other equipment. And as was said, they are quite trailerable.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “Tracked”