NEW USA made Halftrack Tracks!

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

R.E.Co.
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: NEW USA made Halftrack Tracks!

Post by R.E.Co. » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:37 pm

Hi Duane,

I just want to clarify a few things you've mentioned, for one, the American Made tracks are actually less expensive than the other new tracks on the market. Mine are priced $100 less.

Second, my tracks were designed and tooling made by StarPoint which is a rubber molding company out of Ohio. They spent a crazy amount of time to ensure the tracks were designed properly, from the tooling the tracks are made on ensuring proper spacing between bars, to the rubber compound used. These tracks have original style cross bars and fit onto original drive trains without modification such as flanges.

They have been tested over the past 4 years on several vehicles between halftracks and cletracs. The result had been shared in different groups on Facebook but going forward, I will document the wear personally on my halftrack and ask for feedback from customers because transparency on how I make these tracks and the quality materials I use to built them is critical.

I appreciate your feedback but these are less expensive and made to original specs.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
1918 Grant Field Gun Trailer
1941 White M2 Halftrack
1941 Chevrolet YP G506 Cargo
1941 Federal 94-43 4-5 Ton COE

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ron D » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:04 pm

Conny wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:51 pm
What is the big deal about tracks being made in China?
Coming from a Ranger. Wow.
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:35 am

Nothing from China on my vehicles thank you very much!
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

8683jb
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by 8683jb » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:27 am

mdainsd wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:35 am
Nothing from China on my vehicles thank you very much!
Same here. Has nothing to do with quality. China ruined every economy on the planet except their own with this virus, and yet the parking lot at Harbor Freight is still stuffed. I go 'way out of my way to not reward china by buying their products whenever I can find it from any other country. It's not gonna break them but it's all I can do.
'42 Autocar M2A1 Half-track
'41 G518 Nash Kelvinator Ben Hur Trailer

MVPA member

Ernie Baals
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ernie Baals » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:26 am

Gary
it has gone to the owner many times
This is his last response

Stefan de Beule
Author

Derrick Hunter it’s no one’s business where they are made because this was the preference of the producers to not be bothered by idiots that try to high jack our mold and that’s it
They don’t need to do this production as we are just a small fish compared to the numbers of tracks they make for all kinds of vehicles and machines it’s because of our close relationship with them that they do this for us and the halftrack hobby is still alive 8 years ago when my French track broke there was nothing available after many calls I could buy a set cracked but new Izzy ones for 7k euro
Now people can buy a track new new for same money including new sprockets.

Not very friendly for a business.
And also may very well be against the import laws of the USA

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/rulings/infor ... -TDV7Q2Y_I

We all appreciate, time and cost to get the tracks to the market. But to simply say buy our product and don;t ask questions is insulting at the least.
Also to publicly cast doubt on a possible competitor. while refusing to answer the most basic question about your own product is a pretty $%$^& way to treat your protentional customers and current clients

I am lucky, i have 2 sets of Izy tracks on reserve for when they are needed by me. I also had a set of boogies realigned years ago. I also have a set of NOS i bought off of you about 15 years ago. I have my doubts about them though, as it looks like the rubber is coming off the steel.
Rip Dad 1/22/24 to 12/21/11
I will always love and miss you.
Ernie Baals MVPA 104C and 3104, AACA, SJC MVPA

Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government
that requires every citizen to prove
they are insured……but not everyone
must prove they are a citizen”

Thundercat97
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thundercat97 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:13 pm

I received my new half-track tracks from Jon and quality is nice. I will soon be putting on my nos guides a got many moons ago so I will have a quality made spare set just in case. Well worth it in my opinion since they are direct replacements and nothing else is needed.
Rob

41 WLA Type II
42 Open Cab CCKW 353
43 Diamond T M3 Half-Track
57mm M1A2 Anti Tank Gun
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer

G102
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by G102 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:55 am

Cherish those guides you bought from me. I scrapped a couple tons of them since nobody wanted them

Thundercat97
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thundercat97 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:28 am

Ha, do realize I finally opened to boxes this past spring! It had been years since I got them from you and I finally had a reason to open boxes. They sat right next to the NOS track chains I will probably never use but had to have....
Rob

41 WLA Type II
42 Open Cab CCKW 353
57mm M1A2 Anti Tank Gun
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer

dlevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by dlevy » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:33 pm

Hi All,

I am getting close to needing new track for my halftrack, so I would like some input.

I am sure that I must have missed it, but I have not found any feedback from the end users/customers that purchased either the US made or import track.

Also, I have not seen a full explanation as to why the import track needs special-made sprockets.

Can anyone who has purchased either set of track AND put some miles on them offer candid useful feedback?

Thanks,
Dave

clintm20
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by clintm20 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:59 am

Also, I have not seen a full explanation as to why the import track needs special-made sprockets.
The import track needs new DRIVE FLANGES, not sprockets. The sprocket is bolted between the flanges. You can use the original sprockets. The new drive flanges are included with the import track when you purchase it.
Green Trucks and High Tides Forever

Diamond T M3 Half-track Serial # M32971 USA 4045956
Autocar M3A1 Half-track Serial # M3A1-47825 USA 4053835
Autocar M16A1 Half-track Serial # M15A1-1945 USA 40150662

Thundercat97
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thundercat97 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:47 am

Dave,

As I noted, I haven't run my new ones yet so I don't meet your "and" but I can tell you the quality and assembly is well done, the exact same details as the original. He has been making some great reproduction parts for half-tracks community the past many years so he isn't new to these specific vehicles. Jon took over from where the company from OH left off. Definitely worth speaking with Jon to get the specific details you would want to know and the assembly of them. He has been using his new set for some 450 miles or so on his half-tracks with no problems and very little tread wear. I know the pains he has gone through to do it right so I can appreciate his drive to do it right. I can't comment on any other new made tracks. I am still running my Izzy made tracks from 1994 with no issues other then the typical cracks.
Rob

41 WLA Type II
42 Open Cab CCKW 353
57mm M1A2 Anti Tank Gun
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer

Thundercat97
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thundercat97 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:52 am

Dave,

If you want to take a ride to my place to see them, feel free. I am about 3 hrs or less from you. Just shoot me a PM if you are interested.
Rob

41 WLA Type II
42 Open Cab CCKW 353
57mm M1A2 Anti Tank Gun
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer

R.E.Co.
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by R.E.Co. » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:40 pm

Hello everyone! It's been awhile since an update has been pushed out. Here is a video of my USA made tracks which are using Starpoint technology.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/296004307 ... 726269415/
So far, they are running great! Here is what is different about the materials I'm using versus other tracks on the marker.

-specially formulated rubber compound made in Akron, Ohio USA the rubber capital of the world. It is dense, pliable, and ridged to withstand turning and wear from paved surfaces
-UV rubber protection! This will provide users with long lasting resistance to the suns UV rays from damaging and breaking down the rubber compound over time
-newly casted, precision guides made in Minnesota, USA. Same strength and specification as original guides.
-direct fit to original drive trains. My tracks fit original drive axles, flanges and sprockets without modification.
-specialty made cross bars exclusively produced for our tracks. Our cross bars are iron forged and machined to OEM specifications.

Super excited about these tracks! Cletrac tracks are now available as well. Feel free to message me with any questions. Thanks everyone!

Military Track Supply
Jon
1918 Grant Field Gun Trailer
1941 White M2 Halftrack
1941 Chevrolet YP G506 Cargo
1941 Federal 94-43 4-5 Ton COE

dlevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by dlevy » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:09 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Jon, nice to see your specs. I actually reversed engineered the crossbars for Greg at Starpoint and gave him the CAD files to have them reproduced exactly as original. I assume that he forwarded those files to you to incorporate in your track as well (at least I hope he did). I definitely prefer to have tracks that fit as OEM should.

However, before I make a purchase, I like to understand the facts. I am also curious as to why the European track need replacement drive flanges. Is the ID/ circumference of those track too large or too small to be used with the original drive flanges?

Also, as many Euro track that appear to have been sold, I find it odd that no one has really posted if they are happy with them or not.

Dave

SuperJeep
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by SuperJeep » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:12 am

Dave,
Some of the differences between the two track suppliers is one actually makes the tracks themselves and is totally transparent about it and the other just pays someone else to make them (China?)
One is made to original specs and is a direct replacement and the other looks to have been made hastily just to get tracks on the market any way they can.
One actually answers questions and the other just gives you the 🤷‍♂️
And yes you are correct, it is very odd with so many tracks claim to have been sold from the European suppliers that nobody is saying anything about the quality. Perhaps there’s more to that story than meets the eye……..
I’ve known Jon personally now for several years and can tell you you couldn’t ask for someone with more attention to detail, quality of work, dedication to the hobby and all around good ethics. If there would ever be a problem with anything he makes (very unlikely) I know he would dedicate himself fully to correcting the problem for the customer.
1943 White M2A1 Winch
1944 White Scout Car
1943 Willys MB
1943 Willys MT-TUG 6 X 6 Jeep Ambulance
1945 WLA Harley
194? Clark CA-1 Airborne
1963 M422A1 Jeep
1968 M274A5 Mule 106mm

Return to “Tracked”