A New "Pair of Shoes" for the Queen

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

JrPartsCo
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: A New "Pair of Shoes" for the Queen

Post by JrPartsCo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:52 am

Mark did you remove the right side crab and volume springs from the housing before assembly? The crab should be frozen on the pivot shaft because you should have needed to use a volute spring compressor tool set to to remove the bogie wheels. 99% of the time the crab is always frozen and needs to move when driving on uneven surfaces
There are tools I have available for track and bogie wheel removal
Jillian
JR Parts Co

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:00 pm

Jillian appreciate you asking .. I actually made the appliance/tool set up from the manual to collapse my springs during removal and install. They are moving now like a switch watch :-)

On another matter, I have posted several videos on YouTube under Mark Koloc or African Queen Halftrack, 2 videos are my technique for removing and installing tracks and the 3rd video was filmed the day I started the Queen up after sitting for 50 years in the desert.

I intend to shoot a series of videos on my various projects that I am doing on her. These are just my techniques for restoration/preservation work as it progresses. Currently doing a video on the front steering knuckle, brakes, lines and the ultra frustrating zippered rubber boot on the hub :shock: . Leave any comments if you would on the videos, I've never made one before so the learning curve is a bit steep, but I love a challenge and will get smoother at putting them together.

Cheers,
Mark
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
Cell: 1.715.821.9426

GPW1263
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by GPW1263 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm

Nice job on the vid, Mark. I watched one and made a constructive comment for you and made a request of you, since no one else had...(I'M THE FIRST ONE!). Woo HOO! You're doing good, man. Fabulous content. Keep it going.

Cheers,
TJ

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:01 am

TJ you were the !st!!!! Thank YOU. I am starting to get views and pick up subscribers which makes me most happy. Just a way to share information but I have had some excellent feedback privately and after talking with one knowledgable individual am going to head in another direction with the "Queen" and my goals for boosting the recognition of her history and the overall commitment of those who support the restoration of these historic vehicles. I'll let everyone know when all falls into place!
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103

GPW1263
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by GPW1263 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:57 am

!!Please tell me he didn't talk you into giving it away to some museum...!!

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 am

No no, nothing like that!! I would consider a loan to a museum if for some reason some life-event required that course of action ..and then would prefer a museum like the WWII Museum or the New Army Museum (I am a founding member) or the new Armor or Infantry Museums at Ft. Benning, GA.
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103

GPW1263
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by GPW1263 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:28 pm

It may interest you to know that the half track at the WWII Museum was purchased from a fellow who lived about 10 minutes from me. There were a trio of half tracks in our area (mine being the only VEP among them) and now, sadly, there are only two of us. Today was spring-like weather so I spent some time cleaning up around my half track. Gonna wake this old engine up...soon....very soon.

Cheers,
TJ

Return to “Tracked”