M2 Cletrac

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

Sikorsky502
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

M2 Cletrac

Post by Sikorsky502 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Just wanted to get the opinion of the Cletrac owners if buying a project is worth it or is it too much trouble with a lack of tracks and parts? Also, what would a decent m2 be worth in project form missing the usual compressor, winch and bad tracks.
M901a1 ITV
M757 Ford

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: M2 Cletrac

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:45 am

Don't know the answer to your question, but this example just closed on ebay with no bids. You may have seen it. Looks like it has tracks. I would love to have one someday:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLETRAC-WILLYS- ... true&rt=nc
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

waayfast
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by waayfast » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:17 am

I grew up with one of these so I have a sentimental attachment to the type. In fact, the land my house sits on today was cleared by me and my Dad with our Cletrac--Dad hooking up the cable to the trees and me running our "army cat " as we called it. Pulled the trees out by the roots. I was young enough at the time that I was eye level to the tops of the tracks while standing flat footed on the ground. I was about 8-9 years old and now pushing 59!!
Keeping our original machine (just a stripped frame now :cry: ) and gathering up parts to restore some others I have bought is a way to remember my Dad and to honor his service during the war( USAAF mechanic, Selfridge, Michigan) and all those of the the greatest generation. This is what got me into the hobby (I'm broke but happy broke! :D ).
The reason I mention all this is because as a collectors item, they are a bit of an orphan. Not really a tractor-not armor- not an artillery tractor so they don't seem to be real popular. For me it's mostly for the memories and some of the collecting.
The tracks ARE rare and the ONLY hope we have in getting replacements would be to talk a manufacturer that's making new tracks for Halftracks into building a run for us! Same track will work, it's just got to be LONGER! Please read through all the threads about trying to get new tracks manufactured for the Half Tracks and one soon comes to the understanding it will be a miracle if that ever gets going. (THANK YOU MICHEAL KELLER FOR ALL THE WORK YOU HAVE PUT INTO THIS!!!! ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!---YOU ARE DA MAN!!!! --YOU HAVE MY UTMOST RESPECT SIR!).
The flip side to all this is because they are not real popular the prices aren't real high and if you look there are some around. Best to buy whole machines, as with any thing, buying a part at a time is way more expensive but at 14,000 pounds (complete) hauling one home won't happen with a 1/2 ton pickup and a car trailer either.
Not sure where you are located but the one on ebay looked typical in both shape and price for most I've seen country wide. For a tracked WWII Vehicle I don't think you can get into ANYTHING cheaper and I do think the prices will go up in the long run. This is not your type of vehicle that has entire industries manufacturing and selling every conceivable part and piece and lots of support (I.E. Jeep , Dodge, Chevy, GMC etc) -you WILL be out there all by your lonesome :twisted: but as for me, I kinda like it that way.
The are really fun to drive and rare enough to be attention getters anywhere you go. Heck-everyone seems to have a Jeep or a Dodge--Half tracks and tanks are real cool but are fairly common. These? You are almost guaranteed to be the only one on your block to have one.
I have seen a few good clips on YouTube showing these running-very cool! (But then again I may just be a little biased :wink:)
Jim

sawbuck
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sawbuck » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Very cool indeed.
One I saw on CT craigslist was priced around $3400 iirc. I do not believe it sold. It appeared to have at least one bad track. It would be fun to take on as a project but how far can one restore without available tracks?

Sikorsky502
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Sikorsky502 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:00 pm

That's my major concern, tracks.
M901a1 ITV
M757 Ford

sawbuck
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sawbuck » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:31 am

I saw a Facebook post that said the European company is now manufacturing new Cletrac M2 tracks.

Check this:

https://www.facebook.com/militaryvehicl ... 173432855/

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Definitely would like to hear more on this, please keep us updated!
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Return to “Tracked”