African Queen to go on Display at the National Museum of the US Airforce

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

African Queen to go on Display at the National Museum of the US Airforce

Post by mkoloc » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:05 pm

Confirmed today, we are heading to the National Museum of the United States Air Force, Dayton OH in October. The Queen will be on display in the WWII Area alongside some famous aircraft like the Memphis Bell, Bocks Car etc. for a 6 month period.

Display starting at the end of OCT, (Which will give enough me to get her drivetrain together :D) and running into the April timeframe. The museum team will be visiting here on the 8th of October to view the Queen in all of her glory and to make any final adjustments to what we will be bringing for the display. We are including the M-10 Ammo Trailer as part of the display along with extra Tombstone ammo cans.

The display should include mannequin's dressed in period uniforms loading ammo cans off the back of the trailer, one along side the track with binos scanning the skies and a forth mannequin loading the weapons on the turret.

This is an incredible opportunity for our nonprofit, as the museum has hundreds of thousands of visitors annually which should provide us excellent visibility regards our mission, fund raising etc..

In addition we have an hour video produced in support of halftrack history, manufacturing and combat footage in the ETO with sound added by one of Sony Pictures best technicians. This is a project i was involved with when I was recovering at the Wounded Warrior Unit at Ft Benning GA. Never thought it might be viewed in the theater!

I will continue to provide updates and pics as we progress with this project.

Mark
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
Cell: 1.715.821.9426
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

Thundercat97
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: African Queen to go on Display at the National Museum of the US Airforce

Post by Thundercat97 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:32 pm

Great to hear Mark. Boy the Queen has come a long way! Great save of a great vehicle.

Rob
Rob

41 WLA Type II
42 Open Cab CCKW 353
43 Diamond T M3 Half-Track
57mm M1A2 Anti Tank Gun
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer

spillmk1
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by spillmk1 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:20 pm

Very nice!!!
Have also thought about such a "loan".
But afraid I would miss her too much. :D

Keith
1955 M38A1 Jeep
1953 M100 Trailer
1941 White M2A1 Half Track

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:49 am

We arrived in style at the National Museum of the US Air Force on Wednesday and we are standing tall and looking good!!

Some pics with a YouTube link of video to follow. Had a great team from the museum supporting the move and setup and they handled the Queen with excellent care on the ride up to Dayton OH. I unloaded and drove her into her place in the museum and she ran like the class act that she is!!

LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:16 am

As a caveat, The director of the museum pointed out that he was thrilled that the Airforce was getting to show her off before the new National Museum of the Army (Opened 11 Nov 20) got an opportunity. The thing is, I contacted the new museum as I have been a contributor and offered them the opportunity. Never heard a thing back from them. Maybe now I might get a little traction with that scenario :o These directors talk with each other regards new and unique displays ..go figure!
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

Return to “Tracked”