Need help M2A1 brake hub

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

tankjeepman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Need help M2A1 brake hub

Post by tankjeepman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 pm

We are working on a M2A1 owned by the Cavanaugh Flight Museum. We are replacing the tracks and need to pull one of the drive wheel hubs to fix the wheel cylinder. We got the track off and was trying to remove the flange from the drive wheel. The nuts on the flange will break loose, but the nut and stud will spin but will not come off. The nuts and stud came off the idler wheel. The TM says the flange is suppose to come off. Do the hub and flange come off a a unit if you remove the hub nuts? Any help would be appreciated.

Andy tankjeepman@yahoo.com
45 Chevy G7107 SOLD
45 MB In Progress
48 CJ 2A Parts or maybe restore?
M151A2 1973 In Progress
M151A1/A2 Conversion to A2

Darth_Kitten
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Re: Need help M2A1 brake hub

Post by Darth_Kitten » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:11 am

Hi Andy,
It's been a while since I pulled mine, but took a look at my teardown photos. I pulled the flanges prior to removing the hub, so the studs should be captive in the drum. If you're on the facebook, you can take a look at my album for references. https://www.facebook.com/mark.cook1/med ... 757&type=3.
I wish I lived closer to help out, but I'll see you in the spring I'm sure.
Mark
tankjeepman wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 pm
We are working on a M2A1 owned by the Cavanaugh Flight Museum. We are replacing the tracks and need to pull one of the drive wheel hubs to fix the wheel cylinder. We got the track off and was trying to remove the flange from the drive wheel. The nuts on the flange will break loose, but the nut and stud will spin but will not come off. The nuts and stud came off the idler wheel. The TM says the flange is suppose to come off. Do the hub and flange come off a a unit if you remove the hub nuts? Any help would be appreciated.

Andy tankjeepman@yahoo.com
1942 M3 Diamond T Halftrack
1945 42WLA
Jul '42 WC-55 (gone)
Feb '42 Slat Grille (gone)

MVPA #27536

G102
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Need help M2A1 brake hub

Post by G102 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:06 am

The drive sprocket and flanges are bolted together with bolts and self locking nuts.

This assembly is then installed on the brake drum and attached with 6 lug nuts. Remember the left side has a LEFT hand thread

Think of the assembly as a tire and wheel

Gary

Return to “Tracked”