Float problem - again

Military Motorcycles, and Other Military Two and Three Wheeled Cycles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
David V
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: British guy living in France. Fontenay-sous-Bois, just east of Paris.

Float problem - again

Post by David V » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:04 am

I've been neglecting my WLA "Lily" recently and not riding her as much as I should. Not for the last 2 months I guess with work and hols etc.

So not starting this week despite a couple of brief detonations - and the smell of petrol leaking from the carb. So I took it off this morning.
Probably the float as everything else is good and all jets are free.

It's a cork float which seems very heavy and is now caramelized in colour like varnish but it does float in water.
So I'm wondering if cork floats age badly. It's probably 5 years old. It seems to me that someone makes synthetic replacements ?

Any thoughts ?

And another question : Even if I turn the petrol tap off on the tank, it still leaks from the petrol line once the carb is taken off. I drained the tank in the end but does a cap exist that could screw on the end of the line in the future. I don't have any bolts that size around.

Cheers.
44 MB 356111 "Charlotte" since 21/02/06 - Capstan winch
42WLA 70443 "Lily" since 16/1/10

OLDABEWLA
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: Float problem - again

Post by OLDABEWLA » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:29 pm

Your tank fuel shot off may need some adjustment? Anyway the cork floats and brass ones are junk get a Rubber Ducky one they are made to hold up to the new fuels and are the best ones to use.

Craig
☆42WLA Harley-Davidson #19,246 Type III

OLDABEWLA
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: Float problem - again

Post by OLDABEWLA » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:31 pm

☆42WLA Harley-Davidson #19,246 Type III

Return to “Motorcycles & Bicycles”