WLA Mudguard, Luggage Rack Mounting.

Military Motorcycles, and Other Military Two and Three Wheeled Cycles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
cushman
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
WLA Mudguard, Luggage Rack Mounting.

Post by cushman » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:59 pm

Hi,
Can anyone help with the sequence of the mudguard/fender and luggage rack mounting on my WLA type IV please? I've checked the parts lists, TMs and Palmer. I've even had a magnified glass to the manuals etc, but can't find a definitive answer.
I have the two studs 2820-42, the four nuts 0129, the four lock washers and the two plain washers. My question is where do the plain washers fit in the sequence? I know the stud goes through the mudguard then the frame lug, and the luggage rack fits to the other end of the stud. So where does the plain flat washer fit?
I hope I've explained clearly enough? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,
Chris
1944 Dodge WC-63
1957 Hotchkiss M-201
1942 Willys MBT
1943 Bantam T3
1943 WLA Type IV

OLDABEWLA
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: WLA Mudguard, Luggage Rack Mounting.

Post by OLDABEWLA » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:08 pm

Chris,
Set the rear fender over the frame put the two studs through the lower fender holes and then through the frame holes line up with long end used.
The inside of stud or frame side gets a lock washer and the thin 3/8-24 profile nut must for clearance you could try to put at thin flat washer in place first but the stud isn't long enough. I just used the lock washer and thinner profile 3/8 nut. I also used nos studs so this is the way it is.
Finder tighten the two studs in place this will sandwiches the fender and frame bosses together then go to the front of fender and bolt it to the frame up front by the trans you can used flat washers on both side so not to wreck the fender skin also used a lock nut in the assembly.
Next set the luggage rack over the two fender
studs then slide over studs add the flat washer, lock washer and the thicker profile nut snug up but not too tighten up just yet then move the luggage rack front tab to line up with the three fender holes and tab holes and then add the three screws best to have the wheel off to tighten the three screws I've done it with the wheel on but there isn't much room under the fender tighten then tighten the stud nuts and your done!

Craig
☆42WLA Harley-Davidson #19,246 Type III

cushman
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Re: WLA Mudguard, Luggage Rack Mounting.

Post by cushman » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:12 am

That's great, thanks Craig!
I've got the thinner nuts for the studs, so should be okay but will find out later. And now I know where the flat washers go I should be good to go.
Thanks again Craig, no doubt I'll be posting more queries as my rebuild progresses..

Cheers,
Chris.
1944 Dodge WC-63
1957 Hotchkiss M-201
1942 Willys MBT
1943 Bantam T3
1943 WLA Type IV

Return to “Motorcycles & Bicycles”