Bicycle collection

Military Motorcycles, and Other Military Two and Three Wheeled Cycles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
Travelfix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Bicycle collection

Post by Travelfix » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm getting real close to completing my collection. The BSA is all original. The Columbia and Huffman have been restored. With the exception of the Persons tool pouchs on both bicycles, a brown leather Persons seat and an original headlight on the Huffman, I'm almost there. Original tubes and tires would be a great addition if I can ever find them, but then again, I ride these bikes, so the newly added tires are just fine. Torpedo and coke bottle grips would add the final touch.

Luis
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Bicycle collection

Post by Luis » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Beautifull Collection!!
Congratulation!!
Thanks for sharing!
Mariano Paz
LU4ALM
1967 M606
1952 M100
MEP CE-016-AC Hol-Gar Mfg.
1945 Willys MB

Buenos Aires,ARGENTINA

marie'sjeep43
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by marie'sjeep43 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Very nice bikes also love your driveway looks peacefull!

karl oliver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by karl oliver » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Very nice job on all three.....me likes'em alot!
Thanks for sharing the pics!
"Life is tough....it's even tougher if you're stupid" -John Wayne

45 Willys MB SN 436399 DOD 19Apr45
Columbia Westfield MG 43592
Columbia Westfield MG 47928
Lovely wife and two beautiful daughters
Bad Breath and a short.....uh memory!

Phil H

Post by Phil H » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Great collection, we don't get to see enough bikes, I love them.
1940 VC1 Dodge
1941 WC6 Dodge
1941 WC11 Dodge
1941 WC22 Dodge
1941 WC26 Dodge
1943 WC56 Dodge
1942 Nash-Kelvinator trailer
1941 GP Ford 9066
1942 M3A1 Halftrack

doug p.

Post by doug p. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Nice bikes. My BSA folding bike is on a Fedex truck right now,and it should be delivered tomorrow. I have a number of things to do on it, and then I will put up some pics of it here.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:08 am

I had a post war Huffman identical to the above, except it was red. Would love to restore a GI version.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

John W. Rymark
G-Major
G-Major

Post by John W. Rymark » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:18 am

Very nice bike collection. You should be proud of your work. I love the way yours is fully outfitted with pack frame, pack and blanket.

We have one folding bike in our club of about 75 members (NICMVPA). Bruce always leads our thirty or so vehicles in the Memorial Day parade in his full Brit attire. Whether parades or static displays, the spectators love seeing him.

From time to time I've followed on or another on ebay, briefly. Would you be so kind as to tell me the most likely place to find a complete or nearly completely correct folding bike? I know that price is often a matter of the moment, the individual bike, but what would be the fair price of a complete or nearly complete folding bike?

Thanks for any help or advice you might offer. Again, superb bike collection.
CPO USN RET.

doug p.

Post by doug p. » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:28 am

I think your best bet is going to be eBay,but I found my folding bike on a bicycle forum-I had posted a pic of one of my BSA motorcycles, and another member PM'ed me, asking if I would be interested in buying his bike. I took a gamble, sending off a whole lot of money to someone I did not know, but it will be here sometime today. These bikes are not cheap,though, and shipping is pretty expensive,too-I paid $100 to get it here from Canada. In the meantime, I was able to get one of those "Everest" folding backpacks that they often mounted on the front of the bike from someone on one of the Militaria forums-again, not cheap, but WW2-dated. There is a place in England that is making repop ones,though.

Travelfix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Travelfix » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:20 am

The BSA folding paratrooper bicycles for some reason are gaining popularity and seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately. I paid over 2K for the one pictured ten years ago and that didn't include any accessories. The bike was in mint condition with everything original. It included the very rare tool pouch with tools and tire pump (very rare items and often missing) I've seen the tool pouch with tools sell on ebay for $300. to $450. alone. Finding a hand pump is like hitting megabucks.
So, what are they really worth.......a bottom line price would be $400. for something pretty rough all the way up to a fully equipped original for 5K +. One just sold on Ebay for $4200. Usually $1200. will get you a fairly good rider. Ebay is the best bet because it's world wide. Bicycle shows and swap meets are good but costly, time consuming and usually end up with dissapointment.

Shipping costs usually range from $150. - $200. Relatively inexpensive considering the investment.

Don't give up....who knows.....there just might be one sitting in an attic in your home town, and someday when least expected, it hits the local market. Beware though, there are a lot of buyers looking.

Travelfix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Travelfix » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:50 am

Hey doug p. Post a picture of your bike when it arrives. Would love to see what you bought.
Bob

doug p.

Post by doug p. » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:15 am

Travelfix wrote:Hey doug p. Post a picture of your bike when it arrives. Would love to see what you bought.
Bob
It just got here a few minutes ago, and I was fortunately able to stash it in the barn before my wife noticed the Fedex truck was in the driveway :lol: Now I don't have to do any inconvenient 'splainin'. Anyway, I was like a kid on Christmas opening it up. It's all in various pieces right now, so after I clean it up and paint it, I'll put up pics.

Travelfix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Travelfix » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:37 am

Depending on what shape the bicycle is in, you might want to consider not painting it. Are all the transfers (decals) still on the bike? If you have to repaint the bicycle, there are repro decals out there.
Bob

doug p.

Post by doug p. » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:53 pm

I already have a set of those decals, but I can see the originals under the flaking topcoat of sky blue paint-I will have to study this carefully.
I just pulled this bike completely apart-there sure is not much to such an expensive bit of stuff as this! There sure are a whole lot of loose ball bearings,too-I expected this, and took it apart on a sheet to catch them. Tires are old,cracked Japanese ones, and the seat, while nearly identical to the 'BSA' marked one, is a Brooks. I would guess they made the BSA ones,too. The repop handgrips are sure expensive too-but what are you going to do?

Travelfix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Travelfix » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Sounds like you're into a real restoration here. Does the bike have a BSA crank? What is the serial number? What did you have to spend for it if you don't mind my asking. Fear not, I won't tell the wife. The Brooks saddle isn't really correct, but it'll do for now until you can find a vintage BSA one.( very hard to come by ) I can't wait to see pictures.
Bob

Return to “Motorcycles & Bicycles”