in what gear do you guys swim with a dukw

Amphibious Wheeled Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
fahtal
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
in what gear do you guys swim with a dukw

Post by fahtal » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:28 am

as the title says. i would like to know in what gear you guys swim with an original engine and can you keep the engine cool.

we just put an original crate engine in. have a new radiator (littlebit bigger because no compressor hole)

in 2nd it stays nice and cool at 180
in 3rd it slowly climbs up to 200 and beyond, it doesn`t seem to get in the higher rpm`s to cool the engine more.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: in what gear do you guys swim with a dukw

Post by W. Winget » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:05 pm

That's two questions....
It's a crate engine, did it come with a fan? if so is it a DUKW pusher fan shoving the air forward and drawing it down from behind the seats? Is that area clear for air flow?, nothing atop the vents like jackets or life vests and side vents not blocked?
Could just be break-in heat from the engine wearing in too.

As to the other question what do I carry, I can only speculate as my DUKW isn't a floater yet. When I do go it will be James River, and maybe Fort Story where they were all trained at beach operations.

I have planned on:
-Tool kit for general maintenance (not relying on the stowed DUKW kit for this) containing hand tools, tape, spare wire, cutters. pipe dope, air hose/chuck, etc.
-Small super quiet gas generator with 12V power supply in case I need to power what I envision are several new electric bilge pumps as backups to the original engine driven models and a few LED flood lights in case of darkness and possible maintenance requirement.
-1st few trips a chase/film/evacuation/tow/boat in case anything goes wrong.
-Possibly a small, inflated boat just sitting in the back cargo area until everything is proven out. (my bug-out vessel)
-Of course, life vests for all, flares, fire extinguishers, air horn, radio, flashlight, life ring per USCG guidelines like any boat,
-Tow Rope, docking rope/lines.
-5 Gallons of clean water for radiator and other uses
-Couple of quarts of oil for spare.
-Boat Hook in addition to the pretty stowed one.
-Modern quick pump hydraulic jack and tools for a spare change out.
-5-gallon empty plastic water can tied to 100 foot of coiled strong rope and left loose in fuel can bracket...one end tied to cable end shackle, the other end of cable shackled to the hull tow shackle lift point....if it goes down, diver can pull on rope, find shackle, lift out for recovery. I've swam hundreds of Bradley M2's, M113's (and even a M577 Medic Track!) earlier in my career, never had one sink, followed the TM's but lessons learned apply...
-Paddle

Now how to get the stunning Bikini clad crew is another problem I'll have to figure out, maybe I can get the local Hooters resturaunt to use it for advertising somehow. :D
One day...
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

fahtal
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by fahtal » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:55 am

it is a dukw fan en de vents are open.

I think the 3rd gear is only an option when it is cold outside. when they used it in the army they could`t be the pretty weather swimmers like to day;)

renovate7
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by renovate7 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:44 pm

I always swam mine in 2nd. 1600-1800 rpm. Maybe Hugh K will come along with his thoughts

Dodgeguy1942
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Dodgeguy1942 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:20 pm

We swim ours in 3rd most of the time. Much more pleasant to sit in. A lot quieter. 2nd gear certainly is a lot quicker.

fahtal
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by fahtal » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:36 pm

Ok that is interesting. And the water temp doesn't rise to much?

Return to “Amphibian, DUKW, GPA and other wheeled amphibian”