GPA Deck Welting, Windscreen Frame Sealer

Amphibious Wheeled Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
jag
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

GPA Deck Welting, Windscreen Frame Sealer

Post by jag » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi Folks,

A while since I have posted on this forum. I am in the process of restoring GPA 9306 (3.4.43) which is presently a runner and swimmer, has never been altered and never previously disassembled. The hull has been previously re-painted as a USMC GPA. This looks very distinctive in Australia. I have now determined the history of this vehicle in the Australian Army (not known by previous owners). I intend to restore it to the extent necessary and return it to Australian Army livery with appropriate ARN and TAC signs. The vehicle was originally stored at the Ryde Vehicle Park in WW2. The park (now a shopping centre and commercial business park) is less than 5 kilometres from where I live in Sydney. This will be a full frame off restoration with full mechanical rebuild. Fortunately, the vehicle is complete so no significant missing parts . I am looking to restore the vehicle as accurately as possible. In this regard, I would welcome some advice on the following:
Deck plate sealer - The vehicle still retains the welting around the edge of the deck plates and the gunnel. It looks very similar to the welting across the top of the WW2 jeep grill, perhaps a little narrower at 1/2inch wide. I have seen other restorations that use rubber for this purpose and was wondering if the welting is still available. I note that some welting for the WW2 jeep is available by the foot. I would like to hear what others have done in this regard.
Windscreen sealer - The vehicle has what appears to be the remnants of the original inner windscreen sealer (the one that looks like 2 rectangles joined at the centre). This appears to be made from a thick canvas like material not rubber. Around the border of the sealer appears to be a heavy duty string built into the canvas. I have not seen this material before. It looks too professional to be a home made or even an Australian Army mod. Would appreciate some ideas on what was actually used in production. This would appear impossible to source so I expect other restorers will have used the standard jeep rubber inner windscreen sealer.

thanks,

Donovan
G-Major
G-Major

Re: GPA Deck Welting, Windscreen Frame Sealer

Post by Donovan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:28 am

Hi Jag,
Good luck with your restoration!
My understanding is that the original seal was an asphalt impregnated welting. The welting is similar to welting used on WWII jeep but impregnated with asphaltic tar. The problem is that this type of welting captures water after a time and will start to rust the edge of the decking if you take the vehicle in the water. I (and others I believe) use closed cell foam to prevent it from capturing water and slowing rusting the deck edging!

You are correct that the windshield edging is a type of canvas and not rubber and is different than what was used on WWII jeeps. It has been years since I bought my replacement but I think I bought it from one of the jeep canvas makers on the east coast (possibly Beechwood canvas....I just don’t remember at the present).

Good luck and continue to ask questions here as well as G504 forum managed by Bob Asselberg

https://fordgpa.xsbb.nl/index.php

A number of people have gone this route with the vehicle and can give some great advice!

Donovan.
GPA 11374

jag
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by jag » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi Donovan,

Thank you for this advice. i will check out the G504 site which is more specific and helpful.

Regards,

John

amphibian
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by amphibian » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi a John,If you are heading to Clarence Town next month,you might get some answers there or you are welcome to inspect my unrestored GPA.
Rick

jag
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by jag » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:47 am

Hi Rick, thanks for your note, I may be able to attend briefly though sans vehicle this time. My welting is in great shape considering its age however, if I can source the correct material I will use that when the hull is repainted. A lot of folks appear to use rubber which may be a better sealer or perhaps the welting may be hard to source.

John

Return to “Amphibian, DUKW, GPA and other wheeled amphibian”