M 135 wheels on DUKW?

Amphibious Wheeled Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
uglydukwling
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

M 135 wheels on DUKW?

Post by uglydukwling » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:01 am

The wheels are off my DUKW for sandblasting, painting and fitting new tires. I had to move it and found I didn't have enough spare wheels with tires that would hold air, so I looked around for a substitute. M135/M211 wheels looked like the same bolt pattern. I thought I had checked years ago, and found they wouldn't fit. Or maybe I just took someone else's word for it. Anyway, I was kind of desperate, so I tried again. They fit on the front with no modification. To fit on the rear, they would need a second set of holes drilled halfway between the existing holes to clear the nuts that hold the wheel spacers. That wouldn't be hard to do, using a spare wheel spacer as a jig. Alternatively, it might be possible to use shorter nuts that don't protrude beyond the face of the spacer.

Am I missing something? Clearance problems, maybe? I only have them on the front and I don't plan to leave them on permanently, since I've already bought the 11.00 x 18 tires. Using M-series wheels would seem to have several advantages if they work. To start with, the wheels are easier to find. (I must already have a couple of dozen) The tires are easier to find, both military and civilian pattern. If you use M135 tires (11.00 x 20) the taller tire gives the equivalent of a higher overall gear ratio, which seems to be a holy grail for some people. Or the 9.00 x 20 tires off a M211 are about the same height as the original 11.00 x 18. If it really was that easy, wouldn't everyone be doing it? At least those of us who aren't fanatical about authenticity.

Steve Greenberg
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: M 135 wheels on DUKW?

Post by Steve Greenberg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:13 am

Hello,
Remove the spacers and mount the rims backwards like a dual tire. They should fit just fine. If you plan to use those wheels permanently you will need to remove the dual studs from the spacers so the rims will fit without hitting the brake drums. Be sure what ever tire size you use that they are all the same circumference.
Steve
42 M3A1 Stuart Light Tank
44 GMC 2 1/2 Ton Amphibian Truck (DUKW)

Return to “Amphibian, DUKW, GPA and other wheeled amphibian”