painting lengthwise channel on DUKW

Amphibious Wheeled Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
uglydukwling
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

painting lengthwise channel on DUKW

Post by uglydukwling » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:04 am

Has anybody found a way to clean and paint the insides of the lengthwise channels on the outside of the hull? Mine has the army-specified extra drain holes, but even so, it seems impossible to do a good job of cleaning and painting the insides. Sticking the sandblaster nozzle into the holes produces a spectacular cloud of accumulated rust and debris, but it's only the first few inches that actually gets sandblasted. If it is possible to get them clean enough for paint to stick,then how do you apply the paint? I wonder if one of the non-drip (waxy-type) anti-corrosive compounds would stand a better chance of penetrating the remaining rust and adhering to the metal. The oily anti-corrosives might be easier to apply and penetrate better, but trailing an oil slick is frowned on these days.

70th Division
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: painting lengthwise channel on DUKW

Post by 70th Division » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:47 pm

Hello,

It likely is a challenge,
but I remember an old post about this subject.
The guy said something to the effect that he made a small diameter, long plastic tubing and used a sprayer, maybe a hand pumped spray tank?, and pushed it in, and pumped paint out as he pulled the hose back though the length or the channel he did at a time.
( It may have been using an air powered sprayer as well but don't remember)
Sounds like a good way to get the primer and paint inside the channels.

I am sure he explained it better, but it gives an effective idea on a plan of attack to get
the areas painted.

Good Luck,
Ray

Donovan
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Donovan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:32 am

On my GPA for the rub rail I had a similar problem, what I did is inserted a cleaning brush operated by a long drill rod to remove the large rust and accumulated debris; blow it out; spray with rust inhibitor/converter (phosphoric acid), wipe with moist cloth, let dry, and spray with frame rail paint from Eastwood. Not the greatest solution, but it appears to have worked. The only other way is to remove the rails by drilling out all of the spot welds and then use weld thru paint when you reattach. Definitely a PITA!
Good luck,
Donovan
GPA 11374

renovate7
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by renovate7 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:48 pm

It was me. First I used a 3000 psi pressure washer and put the nozzle in each hole, in each direction and let it go for about 10 seconds. It blew a LOT of krap out. I didn't have an endoscope camera at the time but I'll bet it scoured the insides clean. Got a $10 garden sprayer and 2' of nylon hose from the plumbing section at lowes. Cut the wand in 2 on the sprayer and stuck each end in the nylon tube to make the wand longer. It was a force fit, can't use clamps or it won't fit in the channel. Got some red rustoleum, although now I think I'd get the rustoleum rust restore product. Thinned it just enough so it will spray with a nice pattern from the pumped up sprayer. Stuck the spray nozzle in each hole in each direction. The wand is long enough to make it more than half way to the next hole. Squeez'd the handle and slowly pulled it back as it sprayed. Paint ran down the sides anywhere there was even the smallest gab between the rub rail and side. Also sprayed up the sides for the same reason. Make sure you have plenty of paper on the ground under the sides, a LOT of paint gets dispersed. I used an entire gallon. Never saw any more rust stains on the side for the 5 years I owned it. Also did the same for the reinforcing ribs on the inside. You would be surprised how many rust flakes were inside them. These inside areas were never painted as best I can tell, just raw steel. It's easy to see why you get rust thru in line with each rib. It starts on the inside and you don't notice it till it is thru the hull.

Return to “Amphibian, DUKW, GPA and other wheeled amphibian”