can 18" wheels go on a '56 jeep?

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
soldaten@aol.com

can 18" wheels go on a '56 jeep?

Post by soldaten@aol.com » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:17 pm

Greetings!

I have a wierd project based on a 1956 Jeep chassis. To make the project "right" it needs 18" wheels. I am no mechanic, so please forgive my ignorance here! Is there anything special I need to do to get 18" wheels instead of the 16" ones?

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

Mike

Glen
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glen » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:35 pm

More info will be needed. In most cases, larger rims can be installed but what size tires will be going with this??? How wide??? Are the center of the rims offset to the inside or outside or centered???

Mojave

Post by Mojave » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:08 pm

That does sound like a weird project! Unless you are thinking of very modern (high-dollar) SUV 18 inch rims, you are looking at Gama Goat (M561) rims, and that's about all of the options. I saw an M37 Weapons Carrier with 18 inch Goat rims on it last year at the Phoenix show. There wasn't much clearance for steering in that rig, and to stuff the same setup under your Jeep, you are talking spring-over-axle plus added lift, wider axles or major spacers, and some driveline and suspension mods. What are you trying to accomplish!?

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”