Is this a CJ oil canister?

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Kaiser Krazy
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Is this a CJ oil canister?

Post by Kaiser Krazy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:43 pm

Was under the impression that the military oil canisters used the two ring clamps set up and the CJ oil canisters used the riveted to the bracket set up. I had a CJ oil canister on my GPW and the rivets broke loose, the oil line rubbed against the fan belt and I'm still cleaning up the oil out of the engine compartment from six years ago...what a mess.
I don't know how I ended up with this one, but if it is CJ I need to pass it on.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks in advance. Filter element inside with lift ring on top, some special formed washers and a large spring.
cj oil canister.JPG

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Is this a CJ oil canister?

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:49 pm

Yes as you surmise; the Military Junior filter canister did not have it's own mounting brackets attached.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ron D » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:34 pm

Yes, the obvious mounting bracketry differences (for those that have manuals).

And in case it helps knowing, the Military Standard Junior canister is physically larger than the CJ canister.

The filter element for a Military Standard Junior canister won't fit in a CJ canister.
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:54 am

Ron D wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:34 pm
Yes, the obvious mounting bracketry differences (for those that have manuals).

And in case it helps knowing, the Military Standard Junior canister is physically larger than the CJ canister.

The filter element for a Military Standard Junior canister won't fit in a CJ canister.
I learned this the hard way. While a lot of the filter element numbers might cross-check a CJ element will fit into a Military Standard but not vice-versa.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Kaiser Krazy
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Kaiser Krazy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:50 am

Talked to a guy who is putting a rebuilt CJ engine into his GPW as his block was cracked too bad and he could not find a GPW or MB block. I asked him if he was planning on using his GPW oil canister and clamps on his CJ block and he said he had no oil canister at all, so he will be getting this one. I'm glad it's not an M series part as I've been told most of my parts are.

Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Bruce W » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:01 pm

I’ve seen CJ oil filters using bands and I’ve seen them with welded brackets. I’ve never seen one riveted. I have no way of knowing now what either type originally came from. I even have one Fram that uses bands, is identical to many I’ve seen on CJ’s, and it is painted gold and has MOPAR ID and instruction stickers on it.
BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

Kaiser Krazy
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Kaiser Krazy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:16 am

I think you are correct and this canister has two welded brackets on it that mount to the engine head bracket. When mine seperated, it felt like rivets, but were probably just small spot welds that gave way with the vibration of 80 years.

85jeepcj
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 85jeepcj » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:37 pm

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”