Willys industrial motor Hobart gen.

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Stihl301
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Willys industrial motor Hobart gen.

Post by Stihl301 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:21 am

Iam looking at a Hobart generator that has a l134 industrial motor in it which is whats currently in my 2a. Lets say its in non running condition right now. What would be a fair price for a machine like that? Also are there any big changes that have to be made to put it in a jeep for the future?

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Willys industrial motor Hobart gen.

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:10 am

I have 6 of them; only difference is the manifolds, as I can see. And the heads, say, Willys Industrial. I have one for sale. I'll put it in the classifieds.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:27 pm

I 1 or 2 here now not industrial though, but from welders How can you price a non running engine? it may be stuck, or cracked or valves stuck or smokes. especially a cj engine, couple hundred bucks, starter and genny may be worth a hundred or 2. what does it look like? running units are going for 800 to 1500, feel lucky, 1400 lbs of scrap iron and asbestos insulation on some of the electrical parts.

Adam

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:32 pm

Paid $200 for a Hobart Welder, wrote up what I had to do to it in the "Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)" forum link above.

Bottom Line:
Motors Generator, starter, flywheel governor, front double pulley, manifold (too small passages on many), carb, air cleaner and oil pan (no skid plate) are all scrap unless someone needs genset parts.

Have to grind away two upper bolt to bellhousing casting ears on back end to reshape rear of block to clear the flywheel timing cover hole and make it look more the part. (no bolts to match up on a Jeep bellhousing up there)
Head is a giveaway. Internal parts are fine, and I run mine at 45-50 whenever I drive. Cannot recall about the Dizzy, it may be useful, but not correct for WWII from memory.

So you are dealing with a post war short block basically, not a whole engine if you want to run it in a GPW/MB/CJ.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Stihl301
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Stihl301 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:13 am

Thank you for the information that helps alot!

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”