arly cj2

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
old arkie
G-Captain
G-Captain
arly cj2

Post by old arkie » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:01 pm

did the early CJ 2 use the primer handles fuel pump on the engine block If not how did they get the gas to the carb without running the engine.

Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: arly cj2

Post by Bruce W » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:21 pm

Since the CJ2’s were basically converted MB’s, I would suspect that they had the fuel pump with primer. The CJ2-A’s, no. When the engine is cranked, the fuel pump operates, the carburetor is filled, the engine starts. No problem. When the engine is cranked again, the carburetor has gas in it already, and the engine starts. No problem. The primer handle is extra and unnecessary. Probably only included on the MB because some govt bureaucrat thought it would be handy and so it was included in the specifications. One of the things I learned as a young mechanic was to put a bit of gas in the bowl of a fresh carburetor so the engine would start right up. I suspect the boys at Willys-Overland knew that too. Most DIY’rs today spend a lot of time fiddling with ignition timing and oil pressure so that the carb should be full and ready to go when they get around to it. Assembly line engines were ready to go when they were set in the chassis, no fooling around needed.
BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”