one-piece axles

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
one-piece axles

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:38 pm

I am installing a pair of one-piece axle shafts in my son's 1978 CJ5. The instructions talk about having to machine down the axle bearing spacer if the bearing protrudes more than .060" beyond the axle housing. I am good on the right side, bearing is about .040", but on the left side, the bearing is flush or possibly a little below flush with the end of the housing. Does this matter? The instructions say the bearing should protrude .020" to .060". I am thinking about machining a new, longer bearing spacer to try to get at least the .020" protrusion because I think the bearing needs some protrusion in order to pre-load the bearing??. Anyone familiar with this axle changeover? Thoughts?
Thanks.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: one-piece axles

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:19 pm

I found that the shims that are used to adjust the bearing clearance on the lower drop axle gear in the M274 mule are a perfect fit on top of the bearing spacer. A .030" shim gave me the bearing protrusion that I needed.

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”