keys

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
old arkie
G-Captain
G-Captain
keys

Post by old arkie » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:35 am

what are the numbers for the woodruff keys on the crank and cam shafts

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: keys

Post by Rus Curtis » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:51 am

old arkie,
Not sure why no answers yet, so here's what I've looked up.

You didn't state what year or type engine you're referencing so I'll do my best to cover what I have access to.

The CJ2A Forum has a digital Parts List database. There you can search early through late L-head parts (as well as the other parts on the jeep). I have a Parts Manual that covers the later CJ-3B F-head engine.

From the CJ2A Forum:

Group 10-03 CRANKSHAFT
I only see mention of a #9 Woodruff key for the pulley, Part # 5036 (BTW this is the same size for all the engines, with different part number for F-head - see below).

Group 10-11 CAMSHAFT, CHAIN AND SPROCKETS
50917 KEY, Woodruff, No. 13 Sprocket to crankshaft

If I'm understanding the images on the 2A Parts List of the sprocket (chain) camshaft, it appears to hold the sprocket by 4 bolts - suggesting no woodruff key.

Group 10-11A CAMSHAFT AND TIMING GEARS
5036 KEY, Woodruff, No. 9 (Gear to camshaft)
50917 KEY, Woodruff, No. 13 (Gear to crankshaft)

The Parts Manual I have for the CJ-3B F-head list the same size woodruff keys (#9, #13) but new parts numbers.

Group 10-11 CAMSHAFT AND TIMING GEARS
GM-124549 Key, woodruff, No. 9, gear to camshaft
GM-124552 Key, woodruff, No. 13, crankshaft gear

HTH
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

old arkie
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by old arkie » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:56 am

thank you for the woddruff info. I have not been able (tho I have tried ) ascertain which or use my cj willys is dated or what vehicle it was (if any) installed in As you know these engines were used for many other application such as welders, compressors and I amu sure others. There are two keys on the crank and but 1 on the cam gear so I will try the number 9 and 10 I have on hand. I have no manual for this engine as L-A-H clock 5/8 I assume thats a date but unsure how to read it. also there is a number on the top of the block U30020 whatever that means. anyway thanks for your answer old arkie

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:31 am

The U is for Utility and it would have been in a wagon, panel truck or carryall depending on what you call them
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

old arkie
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by old arkie » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:57 pm

there is no letter on the block only WC3 A-H also as I have no manuall and only some misc item that came in a box with the engine makes it difficult to do this puttting it back together. I wonder if someone might do the favor of sending me a photo of the crankshaft and camshaft showing what items go on before and after the sprocket and gear. I found a spacer that seem to go on the crank before the sprocket nd a oil slinger but thats it. except the pulley which I do not have any help would be great. might want to use my pm. old arkie

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:00 pm

I would suggest getting the service manual for universal jeep. You are getting into pretty involved stuff. Many vendors sell them. The number with the U prefix sounded like it was on the water pump boss and designated what vehicle the engine was made for.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:02 pm

I say this all the time and guys just yell at me and send me hate mail. But you can't possibly work on these vehicles without a set of manuals, and definitely can't build engines. For a CJ, the Jeep Universal manual is invaluable, and having an M38 Engine TM, TM9-1804A is very helpful as is the SNL. The mere fact that you are asking for a picture of how things go together makes me cringe. I recommend you stop work and do some serious studying. Just a recommendation.
Trying to build an engine without references will result in a disaster. I have built a lot of them and I always read up before and during a new build.
Just a suggestion; everyone is free to do as they see fit.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

old arkie
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by old arkie » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:42 pm

look I was involved with jeeps during the Korean war which gives away my age of 88. what I don, know is i have learned to ask for info when I need it. I have a 42 gpw that was located in the mountains in northern cal in the 70,s mostly a wreck but I spent several years restoring it to original. The L134 engine is basically the same as those other types. The difference is this is my first encounter with a geared engine. I found it at as well as the crank and cam and head. Paid 30 dollars and began to fool with as a possible replacement engine should my 42 ford engine dies. I just spent almost 2 thousand dollars getting it repaired because a crack. I have just finished installed it back in my jeep. and this will be a standby should I need it before I go to the beyond. I have spent almost 1 thousand for the repairs that were needed and getting it ready for storage. I do not own a CJ of any type and do not intend to ever own one. I am a bit disappointed in your response as it indicates to me a lack of respect. I have read many of your posting which seems that you are very knowledgeable about the jeeps. But am not interested in going any farther with jeeps. this is my last hurrah so please lighten up old arkie

Scrumps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Scrumps » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:08 pm

Hi,

ORD9 Section 0105.4 has the crank gear and the camshaft gear keys as 3/16” x 3/4”.

No front pulley key is shown for the gear drive crank but the chain drive one is the same part number (124549) as the other two , so 3/16” x 3/4” again.

ORD9 is free to download from Jeepdraw.com.

Scrumps
Dec '42 Willys MB
Aug ‘44 Willys MB
2021 New Defender 90 D250 HSE
2005 Landrover 90 CSW
2024 Range Rover Sport
1967 MGB
Royal Navy Weapons Engineer 1979-2007.

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”