Overdrive grinding

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Scott in NM
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Overdrive grinding

Post by Scott in NM » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:58 am

Rebuilt engine, transmission, and T-90 transfer case. Putting the overdrive back on, the synchro case assembly (SAC) would not slide onto the planetary assembly, (PA) it appeared the cone on the latter was now a few thou too large. This has never happened in the 45 years I've had the jeep. Checked mating surfaces for any damage, everything as new and shiny as it came "out of the box". After letting the PA sit in the freezer overnight to shrink the cone, the SAC fit, but with a bit of difficulty. Installed the rest of the unit with no problem. PROBLEM: When I engage/disengage the OD it grinds, unlike the smooth and silent operation existing in its prior condition. Again, this has never happened. I did measure the proper .677" clearance between the transfer case housing and the end of the cone on the PA.

Anyone have any ideas on what has happened and how to remediate it? Any help greatly appreciated.

Scott

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Overdrive grinding

Post by Wolfman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:46 am

Don't seem to be getting much response, Scott.
I don't claim to be an over drive expert. As I recall, I have only been into one and it was a Warn OD unit. Been a while.
I am wondering about the parts that would not slide together until you put one of them in the freezer ???
If the parts would not go together at room temperature but did go together after freezing one, I am thinking once together and warmed back up to the same temperature, the two parts would tighten back up and stick together again. ???
Maybe the source of the problem ??
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Scott in NM

Re: Overdrive grinding

Post by Scott in NM » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:08 pm

Entirely possible. I'm going to call Saturn in the next couple of days to see what they say. Meanwhile, I'm just not engaging it which will also help the engine go through its break-in period.

Scott

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”