Manifold Question

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Stihl301
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Manifold Question

Post by Stihl301 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:50 pm

I noticed the other day that my exhaust manifold is completely broken in half where it connects to the intake . I have searched through all of my parts with not one manifold in sight! My question is are the reproduction manifold up to par and are they all made by the same caster from Fitzpatrick, Kaiser, Walcks etc.. And if not where is the best place to get one? Also Iam open to original ones if anyone has one to part with! :D

/

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Manifold Question

Post by Wolfman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:31 am

Welcome to the "G".
Honestly, I have no idea who manufactures manifolds for all these vendors.
But since we are on G-503, I would suggest you go to the top of the page.
Click on Home.
Click on RFJP
Go to Browse.
Click on CJ-2a. Or what ever you have.
Click on Exhaust and there is an exhaust manifold listed. In-stock.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:37 am

Yes, welcome.
There is only ONE parts vendor you need to be concerned with, and buy all your parts from, as I do. The guy who is paying for us to be able to use this great site; Ron Fitpatrick Jeep Parts, at the top of this page. If he carries it, it is the best quality available.
And he is a nice guy too.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Stihl301
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Stihl301 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Also would you recommend buying a nee intake manifold also? Or should the two mate up just fine?

Bob Bell
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Bob Bell » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:14 pm

Or should the two mate up just fine?
Well, they should! A big caveat is, however, that it can be quite difficult to extract the four bolts holding the exhaust and inlet together without shearing at least one of them off. I ended up going to a friend's shop to have inserts put into the four holes. Not helicoils, by the way, but something - the name of which I don't know - much beefier.

So good luck, but beware!
Bob Bell

1946 CJ2A 36116
Have owned dozens of flat fenders over the years including 1945 CJ2A 10011 which I sold in 2002.
First 4WD was an Austin Champ in 1965, and then a GPW UK license number HRO 443, sold in 1974.

g.keating
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by g.keating » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:21 pm

they will mate up where the manifolds connect teach other but where the manifolds meet to the engine may not. there may be some warpage in the old section, the whole manifold as one piece may need to have the gasket surface where it meets the engine gasket surface planed down and leveled out, much like a cylinder head and block surface.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:11 am

To take G.K.s post a little farther.
A problem that may come up is if the old manifold assembly was resurfaced and now a new manifold is being attached to an old one.
The old resurfaced manifold gasket surface will not line up with the new.
There is a little play. Some times, if the old manifold gasket surface has not been cut down too much, you could leave the 4 nuts loose but snug that hold the 2 manifold folds together. Line the 2 gasket surfaces up by using a straight edge or bolting the manifold ass. to the engine and then tighten the 4 attaching nuts to keep the surfaces aligned.
If this doesn't work, you will have to assemble the manifold together, as close to being in alignment as you can get them and then have the manifold ass. resurfaced.
Or use two new manifolds.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Stihl301
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Stihl301 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:29 pm

Good info Wolfman! Unfortantly I ordered a manifold from Kaiser against the advice here only because Fitzparticks did not have both of the manifolds in stock. The reproduction one that came in was terrible. The exhaust ports were nowhere near the correct size openings and would most defiantly restrict flow and very rough casting.The intake was up to par tho very nicely done. So I guess I will continue my search for an original set.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:00 pm

Petty much the same manifold as on the ww2 jeep, post a want add in that forum, guy in georgia has used ones, maybe he will c it. If not i have some, will be a few weeks till i get to it though.

auction site has a vender in GA who has these with a picture, is the one there the same one as you got?

Adam

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”