REPRODUCTION TUBS

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

REPRODUCTION TUBS

Post by Jerseyhawg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:11 pm

Question. How do you guys feel about reproduction tubs? I only ask because recently I came across a few jeeps that were totaly, mechanicly rebuilt. The problem was, all 3 had reproduction tubs. Same guage steel etc. When I saw pictures of the original tubs. They were no more than flakes of folded rust. I mean nothing left of them. Nothing. I had spoken to a few members. Of course I knew a jeep purist wouldnt go for it. So what do you guys do, when you have a tub that is so darn rusted and flimsy and beat that you cant restore it? You have all been very generous with your time to me. Sorry I am so dopey on jeeps. Will be interested in seeing your replies on this subject. Thanks

Here to learn
Glenn
1952 M38

athawk11
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: REPRODUCTION TUBS

Post by athawk11 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:22 pm

I've been tempted to buy replacement tubs, but have resisted. You can fix nearly any tub. It just takes effort and commitment.

I turned this...

Into this...

Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Jerseyhawg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Sir, your talent cant be described by me. Unreal what you did. Kudos & thumbs up. Thank you for your reply.
Glenn
1952 M38

IvorGPW
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by IvorGPW » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:14 pm

athawk11 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:22 pm
I've been tempted to buy replacement tubs, but have resisted. You can fix nearly any tub. It just takes effort and commitment.

I turned this...

Into this...

I love the photo of the finished jeep, the bright colors really make it calendar level. It looks like a color used on early mustangs, is this correct?
Tate Christensen
1944 Ford GPW #234613 USMC Radio jeep
1943 Willys MB #263100
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
1941 Ford GP #9687
1941 Willys MB #100161

Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Jerseyhawg » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:04 pm

[/quote]
I love the photo of the finished jeep, the bright colors really make it calendar level. It looks like a color used on early mustangs, is this correct?
[/quote]

It does look top notch. Been looking at these pictures a few times. I just noticed the locking hubs and pinstrip on the rims. First Class job. If I found a jeep super nice like this to buy. It could peruade me away from my military dream. The problem is, finding something thats very very nice. Trust me, I have been looking.
Glenn
1952 M38

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 am

I believe any vehicle restoration will involve, to some degree, replacement. If you're lucky enough to have access to quality parts, then no problem.

What your asking involves, to me, body panel replacement - but for the whole body (or at a minimum the tub). If a fender or tailgate is crunched, it may be fixable but for some, replacement is easier. I feel the same way with the entire body. Some may not feel like they can tackle the challenge of a large amount of patching. It could really be a source of pride and accomplishment, but not all have the time/space/equipment/skills right then to take this on.

I managed to score NOS body panels (still had factory paperwork attached) that replaced the back end of my jeep (same area shown on athawk11's project). For me after locating all the parts needed (a lot of phone calls and some surprising luck) and comparing that to getting the needed replacement work done, hands down, the work was harder. Where I lived and what I did at the time, required hiring it out to a body shop. It eventually got done but still with some imperfections that I'm continuing to work through.

So, it boils down to what you want vs. what you can do (or get done). I've read some posts of owners using well established businesses to farm it out - but that involves shipping and lots of money. I've always struggled to stay local which has its own challenges.

Another tidbit I'll add is that those that have mix/matched original and replacement have had fitment issues. We've read that some of those fitment issues have been improved but I'm really not sure where the supplier is on this now. For some replacing all at the same time solves this one fitment issue.

Once the jeep (with the replacement body) gets a few trail scratches on it, it'll feel more like it should.

Just my opinion.
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

Jerseyhawg
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Jerseyhawg » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:46 am

Jerseyhawg wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:11 pm
Question. How do you guys feel about reproduction tubs? I only ask because recently I came across a few jeeps that were totaly, mechanicly rebuilt. The problem was, all 3 had reproduction tubs. Same guage steel etc. When I saw pictures of the original tubs. They were no more than flakes of folded rust. I mean nothing left of them. Nothing. I had spoken to a few members. Of course I knew a jeep purist wouldnt go for it. So what do you guys do, when you have a tub that is so darn rusted and flimsy and beat that you cant restore it? You have all been very generous with your time to me. Sorry I am so dopey on jeeps. Will be interested in seeing your replies on this subject. Thanks

Here to learn

I want to clarify my original post. I should not have used the word tub. I should have said the enitire body. Now that I am catching on to the jargon a bit.
These strokes slowed my mind down a bit. I dont think and post as clearly as I want. After the fact I notice. The jeeps I saw the ENTIRE bodies were shot. I mean barely nothing. But I see the work experience and talent can turn out. Thanks for the comments so far. Its very interedting to me.
Glenn
1952 M38

athawk11
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by athawk11 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:53 am

IvorGPW wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:14 pm

You have a great eye. Ford Phoenician Yellow. Used on the 1964-5 Mustangs and some other Ford vehicles.

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm

Here is some info on repro tubs. All of them come from MD Juan no matter who sells them. There are some quality makers of replacement pieces also some vendors out there. I don't know if Ron has any civvy stuff but on my 3a I made some stuff, bought some used stuff and also got a lot from this place

https://cj3apage.com/Forum/index.php?topic=3858.0
https://www.classicent.com/jeep/mb-cj2a-3a-3b-m38

You can go a number of ways depending on what tools you have and where you can work. It also helps if you don't really know what you are doing then you reach the point of no return and plug away :wink: Or so I have heard.

Stay back 12'
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

graffiti
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by graffiti » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:28 am

I'm not a purist by any means, to me if it's slight panel replacement then weld in a new panel if you/someone else can do it.

Otherwise there is no difference to me from someone who replaces the whole tub with a repro to someone who managed to save a wing and then fabricated a whole tub around it... sorry but that too is a replacement tub.

I appreciate not everyone will have this view, the main thing is to keep the jeep on the road and enjoy it!

g.keating
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by g.keating » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:05 am

from what i've heard, there is another brand of repro body out there rear is advertised as fitting better, and having the correct holes already in it. one dealer has been advertising them

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:39 am

Got a link or more info on that Gary?
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:42 pm

Yes, the "new" body maker is Shree Ganish Industries from India. I am trying to get Ron to be a dealer for them. Guys from England say they are good; more discussion of them on the WW2 jeep page of this site.
As for repro bodies, we have little choice at this point; at least around here, most all bodies are rusted away. Now, I do see guys take a dash and firewall, and replace everything aft of that, and call it "original". Nonsense! It is a reproduction. Replacing 80% is not original. Yes there are some good bodies left; more bad ones so repro bodies are necessary. And not everyone can weld new floors and all the panels onto their original firewalls anyway. It is infinitely better to have a jeep on the road with a new body than a scrapped jeep forever lost. They look the same to everyone but G members.
SGI has a web site; write them and tell them to make Ron a US dealer. I have several times.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:30 am

Competition is a good thing.
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:05 am

Competition is vitally necessary in this game, but if guys don't write SGI, they have no incentive to appoint US dealers. They think monopolies are good, and they are, for them. Not for us though.
So far, everyone I ask to write them, refuses to get involved. I can't fathom why.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”