Cj2a Carburetor

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Bburn102
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Cj2a Carburetor

Post by Bburn102 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Looking to get a new carburetor on my 1948 Cj2a that has a 1953 motor in it. Not sure which model I need off of kaiser willys page. Any help please see pics below and link to Kaiser Willys.
https://www.kaiserwillys.com/nsearch/?q=carburetor
Attachments
IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg

Scoutpilot
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Cj2a Carburetor

Post by Scoutpilot » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:34 am

Not enough information. Motor?
'70-'71 'A' Batt., 377th FA, 101AB
(Slicks and LOH's)(Col's LOH Pilot)
'71-72 CHARLIE TROOP,
16TH AIR CAV, 1ST AVN BDE (AEROSCOUTS)
LOW LEVEL HELL.
'46 CJ2A
'47 CJ2A
'48 CJ2A
'48 B1PW126
'69 CJ5

85jeepcj
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 85jeepcj » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:24 am

Because of height restrictions when the F head motor was used in a CJ2A the stock carburetor was replaced that model Holley carburetor.
Last edited by 85jeepcj on Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bburn102
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bburn102 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:32 am

Sorry about that engine is a a F4-134 Hurricane

Bburn102
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bburn102 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:34 am

85jeepcj wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:24 am
Because of height restrictions when the F head motor was used in a CJ2A the stock carburetor was replaced that model Holley carburetor.
Yes thanks yea I dont want to cut into my hood. Do you know where I can find a replacement??

Scoutpilot
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Scoutpilot » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:51 am

Have you thought about rebuilding this one?
'70-'71 'A' Batt., 377th FA, 101AB
(Slicks and LOH's)(Col's LOH Pilot)
'71-72 CHARLIE TROOP,
16TH AIR CAV, 1ST AVN BDE (AEROSCOUTS)
LOW LEVEL HELL.
'46 CJ2A
'47 CJ2A
'48 CJ2A
'48 B1PW126
'69 CJ5

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 am

IMHO rebuilding is a MUCH better option.

Having replaced the L-head with an F-head creates space issues. I personally haven't seen any vendors offer a carb for this type retro fit - which is why articles have been written and discussions on forums have discussed swap out carbs that could fit. Most candidates are from older vehicles so still, if you were set on replacing, a rebuild would most likely still be needed.

Right now, the one you have fits. If you were to get a good rebuild on it, you wouldn't have to do anything else to get it to bolt on and hook up.

You should discuss in detail with Scoutpilot.
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:51 pm

Been a while but I recall that a carb for a Ford Falcon would work and keep the hood from being cut. Don't know if a search would turn up anything about it.

Here are some leads. Wow 11 years ago and I can remember

search.php?keywords=ford+falcon&terms=a ... mit=Search

This was the company that had ton's of carb's

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:37 pm

You do realize that the guy paying for you to use this great site, RFJP, sells carburetors?
No need for another vendor.
And get Scoutpilot to rebuild one if need be.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:43 pm

Sharing information is not a bad thing and the issue is trying to not cut a hood. I have no skin in the game so the poster can decide to pursue any avenue he wants. Are you a moderator?

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:05 am

No I am loyal to Ron and buy everything from him. I don't promote competitors. Other vendors can start their own web forum sites; they aren't free you know.
Don't like it; stop reading my posts. And If a moderator does not like me promoting RFJP, he can certainly delete them.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:16 am

Long time ago I took an elbow pipe, welded a flange on both ends and made a right angle adapter so a fellow could bolt on an M151 (MUTT) Zenith carb.
It was still working ten years after I had installed it (which was amazing for a Zenith MUTT carb)
So you can be creative without cutting the hood.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:33 pm

Does Ron have a carb that will allow the man to use a F-head engine in a 2a? If so then please share that to be helpful. You popped in completely off the topic of the post and the dilemma has come up in the past and will come up in the future. It was o.k. to give info for this 11 years ago on the Gee. Actually Ron did not have any civvy jeep stuff back then or very little. He does now and that is a good thing.

Bburn102
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bburn102 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:52 am

Hey guys thanks for the info it has been very helpful.
Im a total noob to the site as well as working on my dream car since I was a kid my 1948 Willys, and still have many things to learn.
I didn't think about the conflict in interest between the websites when I posted the question, just was looking for the best option, so I apologize.
I check out Ron's videos all the time and has been a lifesaver and am very grateful.
If anyone might have a picture of the attachment id be interested in seeing it.
I have included a photo of my jeep after a repaint job. Pretty proud of it.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1249.jpg

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:27 am

Bburn,
As I don't own a military vehicle (nor a member of MVPA) I consider myself a visitor here. However, I wanted to immerse myself in the trailer section (I have a T-3C) which has been very helpful. And then there was a whole section added to address civvies. Bonus! The bottom line is, you never know where the answer to your question will come from - and if you keep tabs on multiple sources, you may find a current discussion on the very issue you're having.

I've found the crowd here very diverse and opinionated ( in a good way) which helps with developing perspectives.

I've purchase a bunch of parts from Ron (rfjp.com) and he's got great quality parts! So do other military vendors. I've searched for M38 and M38A1 parts for my CJ-3B when cheaper parts (either wouldn't fit or wouldn't last) from civilian vendors weren't doing the job. YOU have to shop and determine.

I studied more closely the images you posted of your F-head. It has some unique parts on it that don't appear to be standard - so either it has been modified or it came out of something else other than a jeep. E.G. dipstick, breather cap on valve cover, vacuum port @ intake manifold plugged, solenoid attached to block, and more. The carb, as you've mentioned has been swapped in to get things to fit. As long as it works and suits your needs, who cares?

I suggested a rebuild as that's one less thing to figure out when trying to shoe-horn another carb in there (heaven forbid the new one won't fit and then you have to work out shipping/returns to get your money back). In that case, you're still SOL but now have lost time and have to start all over again.

IF you're dead-set on ordering from KW (they are a bit pricier than other vendors, but offer some parts that aren't available elsewhere) just call them and describe what you're doing and ask for a recommendation. That link you provided shows they have a lot of carbs to offer where one "may" fit - just have measurements ready to help.

Every chance I've had, I would try a rebuild first (because I already know the part fits). For me back when I got my carb/fuel pump rebuilt I used Then And Now, https://www.then-now-auto.com/. That was before I'd heard of Scoutpilot. I've met him and seen his work. He's good. He's got his own forum, https://oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net/. This is why I suggested contacting him.

Other sources that may also be helpful are the CJ-2A Forum, https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forums.html and also here is an article from the CJ-3B page on stuffing an F-head into a low hood with carb options/considerations: https://cj3b.info/Tech/LowHoodFHead.html

Good luck with the path you choose!
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”