Cj-2a Brakes

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Bburn102
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Cj-2a Brakes

Post by Bburn102 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:15 pm

Alright
Recently got a 1948 Cj-2a everything pretty solid on it except the brakes giving me some issues.
When I got it the brake pedals went all the way down to the floor. I opened up the brake fluid chamber and noticed it had nothing in it. I figured it could just be needing some brake fluid. I filled up and could feel pressure in the brakes. However this soon dissipated and all the fluid was on on the garage floor. I got under and noticed on the right side tire it looks like I got a leak or something. Air coming out of little nozzle at the top of the break pad anyone know what this is? My manual is saying it is bleeder screw? Im a pretty noob when it comes to this but willing to put in the research to learn. I have attatched a picture for reference any insight would be appreciated.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1105.jpg

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Cj-2a Brakes

Post by Adam » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:00 am

Its a bleeder valve, it needs to be tight, you need to bleed all the brakes,, since this jeep is new to you, might be best if you pull all the wheels and visually inspect all the cylinders, shoes, hardware, rubber lines and what not. You will need to study brake systems, you tube has some videos on it, and how to inspect all the rubber parts of the system including wheel cylinders. Rusted and pitted STEEL brake lines, not just copper lines if they are under there, need to be repaired or replaced.

Adam

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:30 am

Bburn,
As Adam pointed out, you'll need to brush up on some basic maintenance skills. I suggest getting a Service Manual (SM). They are available from several vendors or also available digitally. I prefer a paper copy for a few personal reasons.

Nearly every system on your jeep will be covered. Together, with videos and your SM, you'll get very comfortable checking, repairing and servicing your "new" jeep.

Don't take anything for granted on these old vehicles. Shortcuts have been used. Repairs can be skipped. Also, just age alone can compromise many things. Take your time. Brakes are a great place to start.
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:59 pm

If you have read Four Wheels and Frontiers by Roy Follows, about the greatest jeep journey ever undertaken, you would be amazed at what they did to keep their brakes going with problems including chewing gum :D
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:42 am

Ok, this will be harsh; stop driving or even touching your jeep until you get a full set of TMs for it, and even though yours is a CJ, you will learn all you need to know and more from an M38 set of manuals. Get the Jeep Universal Book; it will show all about CJs but not in the detail that the military manuals do. You can skip the 24 volt parts of it.
Especially brakes, are not to be trifled with; they must be right.
Read and study these manuals for a month before you do anything. Get someone to show you; I will if you come over; I always have at least one in restoration.
You will also need a hub puller to get to your rear brakes. Good time to service your bearings and front U joints because those have to come off. I literally spent 3 days this past week doing just what you need.
Here is what I do with any vehicle I get; pull all the brake components apart, inspect the shoes, and replace them most of the time, but pull the wheel cylinders and master cylinder, throw them in the trash, and install new ones. It is easy, but you must read the TMs first. I also replace the brake lines and hoses; those can rust out from the inside.
Ron has all the parts you need for a complete brake job.
It's just your life.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Bburn102
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bburn102 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:51 pm

Hey thanks for the feedback! dcpcd67 sent you a email much appreciated

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”