cj2a 2 piece frame

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

cj2a 2 piece frame

Post by parker007 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:10 am

Did any early cj2a have 2 piece frame? i looked at a 2a for sale years ago and now have more knowledge and wonder if it was a bunch of pieces put together or factory. it had a seam right behind front tire which looked factory, and it had mb axles, with data plates i think 3 like a mb not 1 big one and no glove box. the small lights under main one were like blackout but full lens. i kick myself for not taking pictures.

Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: cj2a 2 piece frame

Post by Bruce W » Tue May 12, 2020 8:06 am

I’m unaware of any two-piece frames or seams in the frame on CJ’s, such as you describe. The CJ2-A’s did have some reinforcing straps welded to the top and bottom of the rails on both sides. The straps run from just behind the engine mount bracket to just past the rear shock absorber mount. Maybe the front end of that strap is what you saw.
Very early CJ2-A’s used a full-floating rear axle like the MB’s, but with 5.38:1 gear ratio, rather than the MB’s 4.88:1.
No CJ2-A was produced with a glove box, and the early ones had the three data tags on the dash, similar to the early slat-grill MB’s.
Early (through ‘46) CJ2-A’s used a parking light unit very similar to the G503’s blackout lights mounted in a very similar location. I don’t know whether the light’s housing is the same, and only the lens and door are different, or not.
HTH. BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

ffbsy
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Re: cj2a 2 piece frame

Post by ffbsy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Never seen a two piece frame. Likely a splice someone did or the edge of the seam from reinforcing strip that is one those frames

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”