F134 fouling plugs after rebuild

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
artificer
banned

Re: F134 fouling plugs after rebuild

Post by artificer » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:08 pm

....the oil bath out of play. That is eliminated as the culprit.
Good.
That is something often overlooked as causing/capable of contributing to rich mixture.
It is also overlooked in regular maintenance/servicing as well.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

portajon
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by portajon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am

New Solex carburetor arrived yesterday. Installed it this morning. This Jeep runs like it was shot out of a cannon now. A small, not so powerful cannon.

But running great now. Think i will order the kit and rebuild the Carter carb now, just to have on hand. Youtube link of engine running with new barb below.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

https://youtu.be/YpR7u4xhIxA

jnissen
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

F134 fouling plugs after rebuild

Post by jnissen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 am

Good to hear. Once you take apart that Carter like to see the needle and seat.

BTW I’d change that oil sooner than later after having all that gas spilling into motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim Nissen
1955 M38A1
Patent Plate MD74784
Engine Plate MD85578
BS Hood Number 20974784

portajon
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by portajon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 am

jnissen wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 am
Good to hear. Once you take apart that Carter like to see the needle and seat.

BTW I’d change that oil sooner than later after having all that gas spilling into motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice. I think i will go ahead and get the break in oil out of there after all this.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Good result & the standard fuel pump is not over~pressuring the needle & seat in the Solex causing flooding, is it?
Let's hear what happens when tuned with the vacuum gauge as described by Rick in one of his video's.
Will be better still. Might even get up to the 'runs like a scalded cat' level we often hear about.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

portajon
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by portajon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:32 am

artificer wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 pm
Good result & the standard fuel pump is not over~pressuring the needle & seat in the Solex causing flooding, is it?
Let's hear what happens when tuned with the vacuum gauge as described by Rick in one of his video's.
Will be better still. Might even get up to the 'runs like a scalded cat' level we often hear about.
The vacuum gauge I ordered appears lost in the mail.... but yes, will use it when it arrives. I rechecked my points, plug gap and timing yesterday after installing the new carb.... that makes about a half dozen times that has been done, so it should be good. But will be interesting to see where the timing goes with a vacuum gauge.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:00 am

Quick report on search results.
I pulled an intake manifold out, that I have on the shelf, that is separated from the exhaust manifold.
There is a chamber up each side, inside of the intake manifold heat riser area, that goes around the cast intake passage section.
Would not be any way to have a vacuum leak at the machined joint, between the intake & exhaust manifold, if the gasket failed, unless there was an internal crack, in the intake manifold, in the heat riser area. Just an exhaust leak.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Any progress?
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”