Front engine plate help

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
blitz67
G-Major
G-Major

Front engine plate help

Post by blitz67 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:54 am

I posted this request over in the M38 forum with no response. I have an M-38 engine with an MB front engine plate. I need to swap it out for the correct plate. Do I need to mark the gears? Looks like the large top fiber gear needs to come off, I assume I need to use a puller, is there any tricks to this process? Any help appreciated.
Brad

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Front engine plate help

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 am

Yes you need to mark the gears if you can not find the timing marks on them., you will need to find the mark on the crank gear if you need to use a new fiber timing gear and have it run. I fyou get lucky and get it off without breaking it then just a mark on each gear will work where they meet. Hopefully last guy timed it correctly. You will need a puller that fits inside the fiber gears holes, Unless you have an assortment you probably wont have it. A 3 jaw puller probably wont fit behing the gear ends and will most likely break the gear. Usually the fiber gear breaks anyway and needs replacing. Hopefully they notched the mb plate for the gear oiler, if not you will need the gear oiler..

why you changing the plate?

Adam

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:48 am

To help locate the timing marks, set the engine, with the #1 and #4 piston, on Top Dead Center. In this position, the mark on the crankshaft gear should be on the tooth that is engaged with the cam gear and the mark on the cam gear should be next to the crank gear mark or half way around the cam gear, on the opposite side. Crankshaft turns 2 rotations for each single rotation of the camshaft.
You can also install the gears with this method, if you don't have marks. Crankshaft with #1 piston on TDC and cam with the intake & exhaust valves in the " rocking " position on the #4 cyl. Exhaust valve just closing and the intake valve just beginning to open.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:17 am

John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”