Pulling a T-90

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
aparkmb43
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Pulling a T-90

Post by aparkmb43 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 am

I am a novice at working on my CJ3A and I have a question. It needs a little attention tin the T-90 (jumps out of 2nd) and the Hand brake mounting stem is busted. My question is Can you remove the T-90 and transfer case without removing the engine? I have never tried anything this major and looking for information.

Thanks

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Pulling a T-90

Post by Adam » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 am

You sure can. Just gotta lie on your back. take the tranny and t case out as 1 piece. Use a tranny jack, it is heavy and awkward.

Do your homework, check the clutch and read about rebuilding tranny and t cases or you may end up doing it twice.

Adam

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:58 am

aparkmb43 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 am
I have never tried anything this major and looking for information.
My .02 cents worth is while it is possible, there are other things to keep in mind. As Adam points out, you'll need a jack (rent, purchase?). Since it is awkward (keeping it on the crossmember will help keep it level) there will be some issues getting all of that out from under the frame (a transmission sitting on a collapsed jack still sits pretty high). Do you separate the transmission/transfer case first? It will help keep the weight down but you'll need to go through the process twice for each gearbox. Depending, you may need to use jack stands to boost ground clearance. Then you'll need to use care re-aligning the shaft into the pilot bearing. If you separated the gearboxes, you have to realign them from under (or on the bench and balance the duo while getting all of it into position). Doable but under the vehicle on your back, pushing-pulling the jack to get it just right. I'm not sure what your workshop/garage floor looks like (or what condition the jack wheels will look like) but I've had problems with maneuvering jacks, etc. when one or the other isn't smooth.

I've read posts in other forums that discussed this - a lot. I'm now in the "pull the engine" camp and purchased a hoist for that reason. You can rent one for a day and then go back and get it for another day to reinstall (I've done this too before my purchase). Yes, there's more to disconnect and reconnect and you will most likely have to pull the engine mounts due to their angle, but you'll be able to separate and reassemble everything easier (no body/frame in the way - and standing/sitting in an upright position!). Other things to consider when you get in that area are clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing. Some will say, "If it ain't broke, leave it alone," others prefer to replace to avoid pulling again in the near future.

My opinion isn't to suggest this way is better, just my preference.

Have you joined the 3A Forum?
http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl

Good luck.
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

Cal.Bar
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Cal.Bar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 am

I have pulled (and rebuilt) my T90 3 times now. I have ALWAYS done it from the back without pulling the engine. As noted, you should have a transmission jack (about $120 at Harbor Freight) It won't be perfect, but good enough. I have done it with the trans left on the crossmember and with it removed. Each is a pain.

Once you get it out, it isn't that bad to rebuild. Use the Novak kit (best around) and follow the instructions or watch the Schnitzhouse or other step by step videos youtube. BUT remember to measure the endplay of the upper shaft! See here: https://vimeo.com/211134258

More than .015 of play and it will slip out of second even after being rebuilt (ask me how I know) You might have to instert a shim or two inside the case towards the back.

Feel free to PM for specific questions or help.

aparkmb43
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by aparkmb43 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks to all of you for the insite. I just picked up a spare T90 and Spicer. I may rebuild it over the winter and then attempt the swap. Thanks

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”