46 column shift CJ-2A

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

46 column shift CJ-2A

Post by Wolfman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:39 am

I am finally working the 46 column shift.
Question is, Does anyone know how the top of the shift rod, that the shift lever is attached to, and the bracket it fits into is made ??
The top of the rod goes into a bracket attached to the steering column. The bracket is cupped and the rod fits into the cup to keep it in place as it is moved up and down between 1st/rev. and 2nd/3rd positions, then shifted into gear. The cup, on the bracket has a hole on top, that is centered on the top end of the rod.
The top end of the rod appears to have a pin that may be broken off ??
Maybe the broken pin went through the hole in the cup ???
Question is, is there suppose to be a pin on the end of the rod the goes through the hole in the cup on the bracket ??
At the moment, the top of the shift rod is flopping around in the cup. Way too loose. Don't seem right to me. I am thinking something is missing. Just don't know how the assembly was originally made.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 44 yrs)
EAA ( 44 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Brad Gates
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: 46 column shift CJ-2A

Post by Brad Gates » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:08 am

Greetings Mike,

I just read this post. Attached a picture of the upper pivot. This "pivot" is the piece brazed to the column. As you can see the "pin" is swagged into the upper pivot. Therefore not part of the shift rod. I have more pictures OR will send you the part on loan for reproduction. Found it in my "too valuable to throw away" parts bin.

BRAD

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks for the photo, Brad. It is exactly what I am getting ready to work on.
I was wondering how the bracket was attached to the steering column. It is brazed on. Looks like you sawed the brazed weld to get the bracket off.
Also, the spring goes into the end of the rod and pushes on the inside of the cap, to push the rod down into the 2nd/3rd position ??
If so, the piece I have has a hole in the bracket, where the spring plunger would push on the inside. Maybe the spring plunger has worn a hole all the way through the bracket ??
Have not seen any sign of a spring and plunger. Maybe it is frozen in the end of the rod ??
I am wondering if the rod assembly can be taken loose at the bottom, to get the top of the rod out of the bracket ???
Or maybe remove the steering column tube from the steering gear box and slide it up ??
At this point , I really don't want to cut the bracket off the steering column.
Thanks again for the intel. What I was looking for. At this point, I am trying to decide what I am dealing with to plan the attack.
Mike
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 44 yrs)
EAA ( 44 yrs)

Brad Gates
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Brad Gates » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Howdy Mike,
This photo will provide more details as to assembly of shifter. It's been a while since I tore it apart but believe the details are correct.
The upper pivot shaft with the little pocket or detent is actually welded to the upper bracket. This is the piece brazed to the steering column. The little pocket is what mates with the ball stud on the end of the shift handle.
The little spring(s) and plunger(s) are the pivot point for the hand held shift lever. It's that little rusty looking thing just below the yellow stripe. One is out of sight on the opposite side. These require some force to push them from the shift lever housing. Once removed, or collapsed, the hand shift lever will pull out of the housing. The little springs DO NOT push on the shift shaft. The springs at the steering gear end help to position the 1st/REV and 2nd/3rd position. OK, with me so far?
The "cup" and steel spacer are below a spring, missing from photo, that push the shifter handle to the neutral position.
I think it's best to pull the shifter assembly off from the bottom. Remove the shift arms etc. and slid it off the steering column. If the body is off the frame it's a whole lot easier.
Seems simple but it's really a challenge. Good luck.

BRAD

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:21 am

Thanks for the second Photo, Brad. That cleared the fog a lot. The shift lever tube, the one that tee's onto the shaft that the shift lever fits into, is a tri-angled piece on this jeep, although there are signs of welding. I suspect Bubba. The shift lever wiggles but the is no sign of movement with the spring and plunger. No doubt rusted solid in the shift tube. I sprayed it with Kroil but not too optimistic. The whole lever and shaft assembly move up and down so the transmission can be shifted. lot of "slop" in the shaft and bracket, on the steering column at the top.
Go Kroil ! but I suspect some disassembly will be required.

Thanks again for the help !
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 44 yrs)
EAA ( 44 yrs)

mullen46cj2a
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by mullen46cj2a » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:53 am

The triangular piece is factory.
Attachments
column with shifter.jpg
column with shifter.jpg (89.36 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Bruce Mullen Harrisville, West Virginia
always looking for early column shift 2A's for parts-contact me if you have one for sale.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:22 am

That looks exactly like what I am working on. Right down to the triangle bracket on the shift rod that the shift lever fits into. This one has some welding done on the seam where the triangle bracket is fastened to the shaft. After seeing Brads photo, I wondered if Bubba had laid a hand on it but the one I have is just like yours. After seeing Brads pic, the thought crossed my mind that the round tube, in his photo, may have been original but did not grab me as being all that strong and the triangle piece may have been added to strengthen the assembly ???
Good intel ! Thanks for the pic, Bruce.
At this time, the jeep belongs to heirs of the original owner and don't think it is For Sale. The plan is , after I am done with it, is to take the jeep to a Lake Cottage and drive it around the lake, but I will keep you in mind.
The only sure thing in life is change.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 44 yrs)
EAA ( 44 yrs)

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”