wheel stud removal

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
kody
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

wheel stud removal

Post by kody » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:51 pm

i have been trying all day to get the studs off of the hub for my jeep and i still cant get them off i have tryd cutting them off and drilling a 3/8 hole then hitting it with a hammer i have tryed beatng them off without cutting or drilling and i even got out a 6 ton press and tryed that and it still didnt budge what should i try next? i have tried searching the forum and couldn't find any other suggestions. maybe some heat and beeswax? :evil: :x :!: :!:
if you cant fix it with duck tape you must not be using enough!!
1942 ford gpw 9924 "duke" dod march 26
1946 willys cj2a "wyatt"
1946 willys cj2a "rusty"
1943 willys mbt
1943 bantam bt3

artificer
banned

Re: wheel stud removal

Post by artificer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:24 pm

If you have external brake drums & have cut off level with the hub....if not cut level with the drum....then drill the centre of the stud out with a centred 3/8" drill about 1/4" to 3/8" deep....support behind the stud so everything is firm.
One good whack from a big hammer [not a carpenters or 2# ball peen] on a 5/16" straight punch will do the job or alternatively, same support & use your press on a short 5/16 grade 8 bolt straight & firmly, but be careful those studs will pop like a bullet.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:20 pm

I have always used a 2# Machinists hammer (Baby Sledge) and support the flange of the hub from beneath with a hollow steel tube ot a large socket. One healthy whack on the stud will do it. Rge factory instructions for the CJ-Jeeps The TM9-803 for the MB/GPW also instructs the same. When installing the studs,you can get by without swaging or staking them in place. If you prefer to do so, you can upset the metal around the stud with a prick punch.The key to a successful stud installation is the use of proper part nnumber studs. The demountable drums attached with 3 screws on CJ-3A, CJ-5, M-38/M-38A1 use different studs than do the MB, CJ-2A, and CJ-3A hub.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

kody
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by kody » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 am

i have tryed both of ways of getting them off and they still wont budge :evil: :!:
1946 willys cj2a "wyatt"
1946 willys cj2a "rusty"
1943 willys mbt
1943 bantam bt3

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29 am

The proper way to do this is to use a swage removing tool that is very expensive.
The other way to relieve the swage is cut to off & drill so that the swage collapses into the drilled hole when using your punch & hammer.
Just bashing with a hammer, as someone always comes up with, but obviously has not done much, rarely works on MB GPW OEM hubs as I have experienced, no matter what the books say.

Post pictures of what you have done as far as drilling & what you are using to support the hub/drum & the hammer you are using. Then we can go from there.
Last edited by artificer on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Boy I remember with mine early on I tried all those ways and ended up taking them to a shop and they pressed them out, checked my drums and put new ones in for me. He was a friend so it wasn't too bad but it is a bear of a job.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

kody
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by kody » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 pm

i started trying to remove them with just a hammer (friends suggestion) and when that didnt work i got on here and started searching and found some suggestions so i cut off the studs and started drilling i went a little ways and tryed hitting it, nothing so i went a litle further nothing until when i tryed hitting it again the punch put a hole in the bottom so i tryed again and same thing now im stuck as to what to do i even tryed doing a different hub and got the same result

if nothing else works i might bring them to a shop and have it done, im just to cheap to do that right off
1946 willys cj2a "wyatt"
1946 willys cj2a "rusty"
1943 willys mbt
1943 bantam bt3

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:37 pm

OK now we can see....you need to grind off so as to be perfectly level with the hub & I would be using a bigger drill so as to be closer to the max you can drill without going into thr hub. For the rest centre punch the centre of the cut off stud, so you don't have thick spots, then drill & punch with a good hammer.
No need to drill from the inside
Steve Webb wrote:Boy I remember with mine early on I tried all those ways and ended up taking them to a shop and they pressed them out, checked my drums and put new ones in for me. He was a friend so it wasn't too bad but it is a bear of a job.
Steve's experience is not abnormal & just pressing these studs out without swage removal usually stuffs up the hub.
I remember in the OZ military, with WW2 jeeps when rivet damaged or worn, we did not just change brake drums but complete hub assemblies.

kody
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by kody » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:07 pm

it worked!!! thanks for the help
1946 willys cj2a "wyatt"
1946 willys cj2a "rusty"
1943 willys mbt
1943 bantam bt3

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 pm

kody wrote:it worked!!! thanks for the help
Now help others with a picture or 2 of what happened to the swage which collapsed internally on the stud/s you knocked out. As well others may [& one should, but won't] learn that reading a book doesn't always cut the mustard. Especially with this stud removal business, as well as many other things.

AS WELL one can drill from the other side or inside @ a larger diameter than the hub stud hole [helps if you have a good slow running drill press fitted with a stop].
Then you don't need to angle grind the stud off.
Be careful not to drill into the hub & after the first one is drilled deep enough, set your stop limiting drill travel.
The stud will knock out very easily.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:15 pm

I stand behind using a hammer, it works does no damage and saves a lot of time.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:41 pm

I truly wonder whether that broken record has ever replaced a WW2 Jeep brake drum? Then again he is unique!

Common sense tells one that something very hard in composition, swaged to a larger size than the original hole, a hole in relatively soft cast steel, will remove the soft material if pressed out. It would also do so, if it could be hammered out.

The guy in the following presentation is using a 20T press, primarily because a hammer just doesn't work, normally.
He admits 1/2 way thru the pictorial how he has stuffed up the hub & has to weld some studs to the drum to stop them turning in the enlarged hub stud hole. Pic's 10,11,15
http://www.1942gpw.com/c-103-G503_WWII_ ... Studs.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm

And that is what happened to a couple of my studs. They had to be tacked back in. It wouldn't have been necessary but others had wrenched off the LH studs over time, so if you are going to do 1 side just do all of them. all RH now.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

kody
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by kody » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 pm

distroying the hub is exactly why i asked and didnt just keep beating. it did still take alot of force to remove the old ones and i would not have been able to remove them without grinding them off first. i will post pictures of it tomorrow
1946 willys cj2a "wyatt"
1946 willys cj2a "rusty"
1943 willys mbt
1943 bantam bt3

kody
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by kody » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:15 pm

here are the pictures you cant really see how the swage collapsed into the hole but you can see the burr at the top used to be part of the swage and the drill bit in the picture is the same one that i used to drill the holes and it wont fit into the hole now
1946 willys cj2a "wyatt"
1946 willys cj2a "rusty"
1943 willys mbt
1943 bantam bt3

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”