CJ3B Windshield question...

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Tyroma
G-Private
G-Private
CJ3B Windshield question...

Post by Tyroma » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Hey Gang...

I just finished my 1961 CJ3B/M606 recreation project. The truck turned out great! See pics below...

Anyways, I had a decent windshield to work with, although the inside edge was a bit thin from years of rust. I cleaned it up, painted it, and had a new automotive windshield cut and fitted with a correct two piece rubber seal (the type with the rubber rope that fits in the grove). Looks great, but my only concern is that I notice that while zipping down the road, it the windshield does tend to flex inward. It's not moving much, mind you...only about an 8th of an inch.

I was thinking of taking a piece of flat steel, putting a flat strip of rubber on it, and bolting it vertically across the windshield in the middle, but that doesn't look right.

My question is is this common? With a new, still soft rubber seal, will there be a bit of play? I have traveled down the road at 55mph, and it hasn't popped out yet...I just down want the thing to end up in my lap!

Thanks

TY

Cuz
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: CJ3B Windshield question...

Post by Cuz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Probably a tad small on the glass size. Which side of the windshield did you install the lock bead on?
Cuz (AKA Wes K)
45 MB, 51 M38, 54 M37, 6? M101A1, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D & 47 T3-C

Tyroma
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Tyroma » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm

Cuz wrote:Probably a tad small on the glass size. Which side of the windshield did you install the lock bead on?
The lock bead is on the outside (front). Where's it supposed to be?

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:54 am

Tyroma wrote:
Cuz wrote:Probably a tad small on the glass size. Which side of the windshield did you install the lock bead on?
The lock bead is on the outside (front). Where's it supposed to be?

Wow, Cuz!! What triggered you to ask that question?! Sounds like the problem could be solved!
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

Cuz
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Cuz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:54 pm

The Willys factory installed the glass while the windshield was folded down on the hood and put the lock bead on the inside which is a bit in disagreement with the industry standard of installing it on the outside to help hold up better against 70 Plus MPH speeds which the jeep does not normally concern itself with. I was going to suggest trying to put the bead on the outside if he had followed the manual (SM-1002 or SM-1046) and put it on the inside (rear face of glass) but now that he has said it is already on the outside the only answer left is installing a larger piece of glass. Had the glass installer been a very experienced glass guy he would have noticed the glass slipping into the rubber too easily.
Cuz (AKA Wes K)
45 MB, 51 M38, 54 M37, 6? M101A1, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D & 47 T3-C

dfield
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by dfield » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:24 am

Ty,

That is the coolest Jeep around man.

Dave

johnnybravo
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by johnnybravo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Ty, Your Jeep looks great! I have a question about the instrument panel and lighting assembly. Do you know if that panel is the same as the M38/M38A1? Is the lighting assembly available?
M38, GPW's, MB's
+onward rode the six hundred- A. Tennyson
+between the crosses, row on row- J. McCrae
+and hell is six feet deep- A. Murphy
+can honor's voice provoke silent dust- T. Gray

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:48 am

That light assembly is seen often in Mahindra cj3b jeeps.
If you check sometimes jeep items from India on Ebay, you will catch that light assembly.

GPW 268625 45' with MB tub
CJ3B 1969 ex Army
Restoration viewtopic.php?f=136&t=240027

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:52 pm

IMHO (you asked?)
Non-NDT's / Dash Light is Non-Mil / V-6 inserted and your worried that someone would think the center windshield rib would change the appearance?
If anything, take a diamond drill bit, drill 3 holes in glass, fabricate an inner and outer rib that screws to the windshield frame top and bottom and through the three holes in the glass, paint it, add two rubber strips and bolt it in place.
So it looks like an M151 windshield of the early Vietnam variety then...who's to know?
Makes you feel better and enjoy the drive with peace of mind.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:42 am

You think he is still reading this thread, a decade later? Anyway, your glass is too small, and installing a center support rib, like an M38A1, and some Mitsubishi CJ3Bs, would look perfectly fine.
As for the V6: I better not say.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”