CJ 2a in US ARMY ???

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Martin Decarli
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
CJ 2a in US ARMY ???

Post by Martin Decarli » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:17 pm

Hello friends!
After 13 years I sold my CJ 5M (ex swiss army)
And that same day he bought a 1946 CJ 2a from Missesota.

I should add - were some CJ 2s in service in the US ARMY???????
I would be very interested
Thank you jeep friends....
IMG_20221217_151411132.jpg
IMG_20221217_151411132.jpg
Attachments
0 1 c.jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: CJ 2a in US ARMY ???

Post by 70th Division » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:14 pm

Hello Martin,

Nice jeeps !!

The US Army likely had a few,
but mainly for testing purposes.

Here is a picture of a US Army CJ-2A being tested.

It does have a USA number on the hood, and also has WW2 Combat rims.

So you can say at least 1 was
known to be in service 😁.
Resized_20230323_224824.jpeg
Note the USA number on the hood.
Resized_20230323_224947.jpeg
Note the combat rims.
Resized_20230323_224824(1).jpeg
Resized_20230323_224952.jpeg
Resized_20230323_225137.jpeg
The picture is from a great book written by G Member Bob Westerman, that I highly recommend as it has outstanding information in it !!
This book is about the development of the CJ3A jeep, which was another great Willys jeep, and very similar to the CJ2A.

Now the US marines did order 1,000 militarized CJ3A jeeps from Willys, in 1950.
The model was called the CJ-V35/U.
The U standing for " under water"
as these were waterproofed at the factory as radio jeeps, that can land in the surf.

These are pretty rare, I found a rough one to restore someday, and Bob wrote a book on that jeep as well !!

He may have written a CJ2A book, I will have to find out, as I would order one of them too.

They are very well researched and the data is not available elsewhere except in his great, and very interesting books !
Resized_20230323_230237.jpeg
What is interesting about the CJ-V35/U is that it was the last 6 Volt Military jeep ever made.
Many of these jeeps went to the Korean War for radio communications.

I have number 99, out of 1000.

The Army also tested regular CJ3A jeeps , that are pictured in Bob's great book !!

If Bob sees this post, hopefully he could comment on how many were tested.

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Decarli
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Martin Decarli » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:08 pm

You made me very happy!!!!!
I will show it to my friends at the next meeting of our South Bohemia Jeep Club!
:-)

I'm from the Czech Republic, it's unbelievable that US bridges from 1945 have been preserved in several places... they're still in use today!!!!!

I found out that the CJ2a was also used by the Israeli Army. Czechoslovakia and the USA were the only 2 countries that helped (secretly) arm the creation of a new state.
That's probably why there were "civilian" Willys.
About 15 km from my home, all the Israeli pilots trained.

If you find anything about the CJ2A in the US ARMY I will be very happy if you write to me
Martin Czech Republic
Attachments
0 j 11 (8) - kopie.jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:33 pm

Martin Decarli wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:08 pm
You made me very happy!!!!!
I will show it to my friends at the next meeting of our South Bohemia Jeep Club!

I'm from the Czech Republic, it's unbelievable that US bridges from 1945 have been preserved in several places... they're still in use today!!!!!

I found out that the CJ2a was also used by the Israeli Army. Czechoslovakia and the USA were the only 2 countries that helped (secretly) arm the creation of a new state.
That's probably why there were "civilian" Willys.
About 15 km from my home, all the Israeli pilots trained.

If you find anything about the CJ2A in the US ARMY I will be very happy if you write to me
Martin Czech Republic
Hello Martin ,

Those bridges are awesome !!!
Still standing since WW2 :D :D :D !
Beautiful :D :D :D !

I have seen pictures of early CJ jeeps used by the USAF, and US Navy, Coast Guard over the years.
The military did use them , but not at a tactical level, as the Army went to the M38 then the M38A1.
Mainly on bases most people would agree.

However, there is a lot of talk about a small batch of CJ2a' and 3a's that were in fact bought by the Army.

This link mentions some specific information about the US Army Air Force buying a batch of CJ2A's after WW2.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/usaa ... 26124.html

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31348&hilit=dundee+motor+pool

Very rare to find one but it also mentions an all original USAAF CJ2A on display at a museum in Michigan some years ago, that was started by a WW2 Normandy Veteran.
He passed away, and the museum was sold off in many directions.

But he had an original military CJ2A on display, I wonder where it is now ?

Best Regards,
Ray

viewtopic.php?t=290777

Martin Decarli
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Martin Decarli » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:11 pm

Thank you very much for the very interesting information on a little-known "puzzle"
I tried to find the CJ 2 from muea but couldn't find the photo here.

Please send me a photo of your CJ2A...

My love for Jeeps started a long time ago. When I was 8 years old, my father gave me a US canister from a large US unit that operated from May to August 1945. My father was friends with US soldiers, my grandmother did laundry for them, for which my father received bags full of goodies that were not at all during the war. The father was 9 years old, his name is Tony... his friend from the US unit was Tony, a cook ....
Dad rode in Dodge Jeeps with the soldiers...and they even let him drive the Jeeps.
My father still says - The summer of 1945 was the most beautiful period of my life.

When I bought a CJ5 from the swiss army 13 years ago, my father said it was nice, but it's not the one I drove in 1945.....
And I sold a CJ 5 to Germany 3 weeks ago, and bought a beautiful CJ2A 1946 from my friend.
I would like to make it as close as possible to the shape of the Jeep from the US unit (26 Infantry Division)
For now, I have the Jeep in the workshop where I am rebuilding the seat. I am handicapped and cannot bend my knees.

I was very curious what my father would say about my new Jeep.
He patted it on the hood and said
Yes, this is the Jeep in which I rode with US soldiers in 1945!

It was a very powerful moment !!!!!!!
Your Martin

Martin Decarli
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Martin Decarli » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:15 pm

Yes ... US bridges in Czech are GREAT !!!
IMG_20230315_105216476 - kopie.jpg
0 1 b - kopie.jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:37 pm

Martin Decarli wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:11 pm
Thank you very much for the very interesting information on a little-known "puzzle"
I tried to find the CJ 2 from muea but couldn't find the photo here.

Please send me a photo of your CJ2A...

My love for Jeeps started a long time ago. When I was 8 years old, my father gave me a US canister from a large US unit that operated from May to August 1945. My father was friends with US soldiers, my grandmother did laundry for them, for which my father received bags full of goodies that were not at all during the war. The father was 9 years old, his name is Tony... his friend from the US unit was Tony, a cook ....
Dad rode in Dodge Jeeps with the soldiers...and they even let him drive the Jeeps.
My father still says - The summer of 1945 was the most beautiful period of my life.

When I bought a CJ5 from the swiss army 13 years ago, my father said it was nice, but it's not the one I drove in 1945.....
And I sold a CJ 5 to Germany 3 weeks ago, and bought a beautiful CJ2A 1946 from my friend.
I would like to make it as close as possible to the shape of the Jeep from the US unit (26 Infantry Division)
For now, I have the Jeep in the workshop where I am rebuilding the seat. I am handicapped and cannot bend my knees.

I was very curious what my father would say about my new Jeep.
He patted it on the hood and said
Yes, this is the Jeep in which I rode with US soldiers in 1945!

It was a very powerful moment !!!!!!!
Your Martin

Hello Martin,

What a great story and personal Family history from WW2 and the US Soldiers, with jeeps and Dodges !
Such great history !!!
I am glad your Father likes your new flat fender CJ2A !!
It looks like a great jeep, in beautiful shape !

I will post a picture of my 1942 GPW, as the CJ-3A is very rough and needs a total restoration, but will post a pic of that military CJ3A too.

My Father was a WW2 Veteran with the 70th Division.
He was a machine gunner, and fought in France, in the Alsace- Lorraine area.
He was captured there after a long battle, and ended up in a POW Camp in Germany, Stalag 4-B, then to 5A, then to a labor camp at Lillienstein Lager at Bad Shandau, across the border from Decin.
It was close to the Czech border, and when the Germans took off, they were moving the POWs, and they got spread out all over the place.
My Father ended up in Czechoslovakia, and was taken in by a Czech woman, who saved his life, as he was about 90 pounds.
She made him sour goat milk pancakes, as the lady had a goat in her closet, hiding it from the Russians, he said he slept for days, and she kept him alive.
Eventually he was given a ride on a Russian bulldozer that was pulling a huge canon.
He said the old man and young boy were from the Ukraine, and in the Russian Army.
I have the Russian star pin they gave my Father.
Eventually the POWs heard on a BBC Radio broadcast, while listening to a car radio, in some town, to arrive in a particular town, where a train would be coming. The train was part coal train, with open cars full of coal dust , where the conductor had the POWs get in for the ride.
But after a little of that, they climbed into the passengers cars that were also attached, and empty, and it went to Pilsen where the American Army had arrived.
The German conductor was thrown off the train by some POWs, after refusing to let them into the passenger cars, and making them ride in the dusty coal cars.
Once they got to Pilsen, they camped around the edges of the airport, and had many camp fires all around the runway.
Once C-47s eventually arrived, the POWs were air evacuated out of Pilsen, back to France and medical care.

I love history and preserving our WW2 Heritage, which I am sure you and your Family feel the same way, having lived through it, and seen the War up close for many years !

Wish your Father well from me !!

Here is a link to the Military CJ3A that I found. It is very rough, but can be restored.

viewtopic.php?t=330845

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:20 pm

Hello,

Here is my 1942 Ford GPW Jeep:
Resized_20210128_174626.jpeg
Resized_20210503_142911.jpeg
20200602_152028.jpg
Here is my 1950 USMC CJV-35/U jeep based on the CJ3A.
Resized_20220725_170846 (1).jpeg
Resized_20220725_171255 (1).jpeg
If you look at the hood, you can see USMC followed by a number.
The Willys logo is also on the hood.

It is a rough jeep, but was 99 out of 1000 made in 1950.

It was the last 6 volt military jeep and came with WW2 combat rims !

Best Regards,
Ray

Martin Decarli
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Martin Decarli » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:38 am

Hello Ray
Your Ford is very nice! (have it original color???)
And V35 is GREAT!!!
How many do you think survived out of 1000 pieces made?

I also see a CJ5 in your garage... Very nice!
I have a question, I would be interested in your opinion. I've been looking for a long time to find some (printed) magazine related to the JEEP community.
NOTHING
The only magazine is JP, but it is devoted to tuning. Nothing that would be devoted to such an extensive topic.
In Europe magazines are published Land Rover serie I... Land Rover serie III... VW Beatle, and many many others.
I don't understand the lack of interest in original condition Jeeps.
In most of the photos from the USA, I see chopped up, converted Willys MB, CJ2, CJ3...etc
Is it because in the USA Jeep is still not accepted as a historic vehicle?

Thank you for your opinion
Martin

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:54 pm

We know for sure that the Navy bought CJ2As in the late 40s, and the Army listed the Cj2A in TM9-2800. I have a copy somewhere...
And around here, any CJ2A painted green and having US ARMY painted on it, is fine. No one knows the difference, including veterans. Sad, but true.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:58 pm

Martin Decarli wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:38 am
Hello Ray
Your Ford is very nice! (have it original color???)
And V35 is GREAT!!!
How many do you think survived out of 1000 pieces made?

I also see a CJ5 in your garage... Very nice!
I have a question, I would be interested in your opinion. I've been looking for a long time to find some (printed) magazine related to the JEEP community.
NOTHING
The only magazine is JP, but it is devoted to tuning. Nothing that would be devoted to such an extensive topic.
In Europe magazines are published Land Rover serie I... Land Rover serie III... VW Beatle, and many many others.
I don't understand the lack of interest in original condition Jeeps.
In most of the photos from the USA, I see chopped up, converted Willys MB, CJ2, CJ3...etc
Is it because in the USA Jeep is still not accepted as a historic vehicle?

Thank you for your opinion
Martin

Hello Martin,

Thanks !
Yes the GPW has it original paint on it still, the star on the rear panel is original.
I did add the top, new tires, and repaired some holes cut in the floor for a pto.
It was on a farm since WW2, and well taken care of, still has the original wiring harness too.
I blasted the floors and repainted them as they were getting rusty, and had a lot of debris and pitting trying to start rusting them.
I added a new F marked front bumper, and new seat cushions as they were missing.
It runs great still.

The WW2 jeep are very popular here in the USA and around the world !
But you are right, I am not aware of any magazine dedicated to them.
The Army Motors Magazine from the MVPA is the best out there that I am aware of at this time .
They cover all types of WW2 vehicles and others, and is a great publication.

The jeep in the barn is actually a 1953 Willys Military M38A1 Army Jeep.
It is rust free, and hopefully I will get it running soon !
Here is a post that I made for this beautiful jeep, this Military jeep came first, and then the CJ-5 was developed for the general public.
viewtopic.php?f=139&t=305354

There are at least 127 known CJV-35/U jeeps found so far.
Many people have never heard of them, but it is always exciting when another one is found !
Many were sent directly over to Korea during the Korean War.
Here is a great website about these jeeps:
https://cj3a.info/sibling/cjv35u/photos/picsv35.html
https://cj3a.info/v35/
Many great photos of this jeep model:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/190 ... baee25ef78

Here is a post on the restoration of a 1943 Ford GPW that I am restoring now:
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=315065

Here is a post on a 1945 Willys MB I am also restoring alongside of the GPW :

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=330874

I love jeeps, and have a lot of fun restoring them !
I am learning as I go with the restorations, and get a lot of help from here on the G503.

Your Swiss Military CJ2A is a beautiful jeep, and a real treasure !

Keep 'em Rolling !!

Best Regards,
Ray

85jeepcj
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 85jeepcj » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:33 am

69642035-07CB-40A2-B878-A895BF3BE7B3.jpeg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:53 am

85jeepcj wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:33 am
69642035-07CB-40A2-B878-A895BF3BE7B3.jpeg
Hello,

That right there is an awesome picture of this rarely discussed subject of CJ2A jeeps used by the Army after WW2 !!
I am sure Martin will be very pleased to see that, as we all are !

I wonder what the data plates look like?
Now I will be looking out for one of these super rare examples :D !

Well done !

Best Regards,
Ray

Martin Decarli
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Martin Decarli » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:48 am

Hello guys!
Thank you very much for the wonderful information. Here at the JEEP CLUB SOUTH BOHEMIA meetings (since 1983) everyone is of the opinion that my new jeep CJ2A (I used to have a CJ5M ex swiss army) cannot have olive drab, but that I should respray it in one of the pastel combinations...¨
At the next meeting I will show them photos from the G 503 :-)

I have a question about the number of pieces
- you don't know how many CJ2As were tested or used by the US ARMY?
- do you know how many CJ2As were tested or used by the US NAVY?
Thank you

So CJ2A drives in olive drab in the US too???

Also to those magazines, regarding JEEPs
Yes, MVPA was very good when it published 2 magazines. Today he is releasing one, and that too in black and white form (my little nephew Rik - Martime. I don't like these "grey" photos :-) )

I subscribed to Classic Military Vehicle (GB) for about 10 years, a very good magazine, but lately it's been 80% WW I, and armored vehicles....small 4x4s have been very quiet
It's strange to me that there is no magazine published in the USA that would be devoted to the history of Jeeps, individual types, you only have a magazine about tuning
Skoda, big Skoda

So keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow. His new CJ2A will be easily modified. I am handicapped and cannot bend my legs more than 15 degrees. ¨The plumber will make my undercarriage smaller so that the seat can be moved 15 cm back. I also saw on YOUTUBE that big people do this modification....To fit into the cabin more easily.
¨ So maybe it will work in my case as well.
THANKS Martin.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:00 am

Maybe move the seat back, by cutting and moving the wheel well back.
As for CJ2As here, painted OD: where I am, at least 25% of the jeeps in our parades are OD, CJ2As. Because there are no more cheap WW2 jeeps to restore, and no one who is watching knows the difference. And neither do Veterans, so if it is OD, it is fine. No one cares. One guy has a CJ2A, OD, and has M151 wheels on it. That makes me cringe.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”